I need help on buying a blackberry for tomarrow. A co-worker is selling me a blackberry 8520 or 8530 that she bought in Honduras with a mobile phone provider named Tigo. Whenever it loads up it says Tigo and has some software for that provider. It's in alright condition with no charger for $75.

This is my question, please help. I have T-Mobile and am wondering what would I have to do in order for it to be unlocked, or if I even need to go threw the unlocking process and have no branded stuff
    Also, how can I tell if it's an 8530, or 8520 and finally is that a decent deal?
    02-23-11 11:21 PM
    If you want the Tigo spashscreen to go, sorry, can't be done in devices past the 9000. Either you're lucky enough to get a prerelease unit or you're stuck with whatever carrier the device was issued for originally.

A factory reset (Security Wipe) would get rid of whatever software/data on the phone, leaving it in out-of-the-box condiction software-wise.

You'd have to make sure with her thou that:

1 - the device IS a 8520, so you can use it on Tmo. (Alt+Shift+H will tell you that);

2- the PIN and IMEI are no in use, or you won't be able to use BIS on the device.

Good luck.
    02-24-11 08:33 AM
    2- the PIN and IMEI are no in use, or you won't be able to use BIS on the device
    Thanks for the reply. How do I made sure the PIN and IMEI are not in use?
    02-24-11 08:44 AM
    Well, calling Tigo and asking seems to be a bad idea. You could try calling Tmo and have them check, guess they would, since they will be expecting you to geerate more $$ for them paying for data.
    02-24-11 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD