Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
07-28-10 12:15 PM
26 12
tools
    Ok here's the scoop !

What do you do save battery life?

I always put phone in standby mode using mute key found this saves a lot and screen brightness down to 20 %.

Any tips you have?

Side note.: know of any free programs that free up ram memory like close unused programs after 5 mins of inactivity of that progra by the user

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Pearllover95 and MissValzx like this.
    04-29-10 03:05 PM
    Upgrading the OS and not using a couple apps that cause massive battery drain was all I had to do

04-29-10 03:13 PM
    The best program to close unused program is the BB button and you. (IMO)

Thanks to user Hubermania for the following list:

Battery Care & Feeding
    Charge the phone nightly. Frequent top-offs are better for a LiIon battery than deep discharges. Consider a charging pod.
    Set the clock option for When Charging: Enter Bedside Mode. This dims the outer screen and turns off LED notifications.
    Once in a great while, red-line the battery. This recalibrates the battery meter.
    The Options screen has a more accurate reading than the battery meter. Settings->Options->Status.

Hardware Tips
    Turn off the Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth radios when you aren't using them. Go to Manage Connections.
    Turn off the GPS (8530) radio when you aren't using it. Options->Advanced Options->GPS->GPS Services: Location OFF.
    Use a BlackBerry-branded Flip holster, which has a magnet to trip the in-holster sensor and put the phone in standby mode.
    Use a USB cable for modem tethering instead of a Bluetooth connection. Bluetooth tethering uses a lot of power.

Configuration Tips
    Use UMA in weak signal areas if possible. Maintaining cell service in a dead zone obviously draws a lot of power.
    Turn off network coverage indicator (green LED). Options->Screen/Keyboard->LED Coverage Indicator.
    Turn off Bluetooth connection indicator (blue LED). Options->Bluetooth, click Menu key, choose Options->LED Connection Indicator.
    Set screen brightness as low as tolerable. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Brightness.
    Set backlight timeout as low as tolerable. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Timeout.
    Set backlight auto-dim to On. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Automatically Dim Backlight.
    Set profiles to use Tone instead of Vibrate or Vibrate+Tone.

Application Tips
    Update your BlackBerry to the latest firmware. Newer firmware often incorporates battery-saving tweaks.
    Always exit applications using Menu->Exit or Menu->Close. Forgotten applications running in the background will leech your battery. While holding down the BB key, then scroll left/right to see the running applications.
    BerryWeather: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Menu->Settings, "Auto Update" and "Advisory Auto Update".
    E*Trade Mobile Pro: disable streaming quotes
    Slacker: cache stations on your microSD card instead of streaming them OTA.
    WeatherBug: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Options->WeatherBug Settings, Menu->Advanced Settings
    Last edited by RWWackoStu; 04-29-10 at 03:28 PM.
    04-29-10 03:19 PM
    I think you said everything RW.

I'll add to dim the screen after 10 sec, and set to off the audible trackpad.

Vibrate use more power than ringtone too.
    04-29-10 03:24 PM
    Does not having the track pad audible save battery?

I got social scope for FB and ubertwitter and set ss for update every 30 mins and ss to every 20.
    04-29-10 04:33 PM
    The best program to close unused program is the BB button and you. (IMO)

Thanks to user Hubermania for the following list:

Battery Care & Feeding
    Charge the phone nightly. Frequent top-offs are better for a LiIon battery than deep discharges. Consider a charging pod.
    Set the clock option for When Charging: Enter Bedside Mode. This dims the outer screen and turns off LED notifications.
    Once in a great while, red-line the battery. This recalibrates the battery meter.
    The Options screen has a more accurate reading than the battery meter. Settings->Options->Status.

Hardware Tips
    Turn off the Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth radios when you aren't using them. Go to Manage Connections.
    Turn off the GPS (8530) radio when you aren't using it. Options->Advanced Options->GPS->GPS Services: Location OFF.
    Use a BlackBerry-branded Flip holster, which has a magnet to trip the in-holster sensor and put the phone in standby mode.
    Use a USB cable for modem tethering instead of a Bluetooth connection. Bluetooth tethering uses a lot of power.

Configuration Tips
    Use UMA in weak signal areas if possible. Maintaining cell service in a dead zone obviously draws a lot of power.
    Turn off network coverage indicator (green LED). Options->Screen/Keyboard->LED Coverage Indicator.
    Turn off Bluetooth connection indicator (blue LED). Options->Bluetooth, click Menu key, choose Options->LED Connection Indicator.
    Set screen brightness as low as tolerable. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Brightness.
    Set backlight timeout as low as tolerable. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Timeout.
    Set backlight auto-dim to On. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Automatically Dim Backlight.
    Set profiles to use Tone instead of Vibrate or Vibrate+Tone.

Application Tips
    Update your BlackBerry to the latest firmware. Newer firmware often incorporates battery-saving tweaks.
    Always exit applications using Menu->Exit or Menu->Close. Forgotten applications running in the background will leech your battery. While holding down the BB key, then scroll left/right to see the running applications.
    BerryWeather: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Menu->Settings, "Auto Update" and "Advisory Auto Update".
    E*Trade Mobile Pro: disable streaming quotes
    Slacker: cache stations on your microSD card instead of streaming them OTA.
    WeatherBug: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Options->WeatherBug Settings, Menu->Advanced Settings
    wow
    Guess I'll add this to my signature...
    04-29-10 04:55 PM
    wow
    Guess I'll add this to my signature...
    SA weet scored a spot on your signature LOL

thanks all sweet tips. ive done most and my blackberry battery life slowly improves but one day it seems like i dont use my bb and i have to recharge like 3 Times in one day. then other days when i use frequently ALOT it seems like i dont need to charge it when i get to bed that night.
    04-29-10 06:14 PM
    To add onto the list here's a tip for memory cleaning.
    Go to: Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning. Enable the cleaning and set it to automatically clean when idle after 5 mins (or 1 minute).
    You can download MemoryUp from http://www.emobistudio.com/download/...l/memoryup.jad which defrags your memory.
    Also different OS's have different battery life some good, some bad, new releases don't always mean better battery life (they might have a faster browser, less bugs, or improved battery life, it all depends)
    El Bori likes this.
    04-29-10 06:20 PM
    SA weet scored a spot on your signature LOL

thanks all sweet tips. ive done most and my blackberry battery life slowly improves but one day it seems like i dont use my bb and i have to recharge like 3 Times in one day. then other days when i use frequently ALOT it seems like i dont need to charge it when i get to bed that night.
    I try to make it a quick list of useful stuff, and so far, I haven't seen a list that detailed on battery life. o.o

On the side note, battery life and signal strenght go hand in hand: If signal is strong, the battery will last longer, if it isn't, expect the battery not to last as the device will be wasting power trying to get a better signal.
    04-29-10 06:34 PM
    My battery life struggles through a day of light or moderate use, in good signal or with antenna off and connected to wifi! I have tried everything and now doing memory cleaner, hope this helps it more than everything else has.

04-29-10 08:02 PM
    Yes, turning off the trackpad audible will save battery. The phone doesn't have to keep generating the sound.
    04-29-10 08:18 PM
    I would like to see a program that automatically dims my BB's screen at night. I need it bright during the day, especially when wearing sunglasses, but at night the brightness is annoying.
    07-19-10 10:17 AM
    I would like to see a program that automatically dims my BB's screen at night. I need it bright during the day, especially when wearing sunglasses, but at night the brightness is annoying.
    07-19-10 10:41 AM
    If you don't want to wear a magnetic holster consider a hyberpad.

Is like a leather coaster with 3 magnets so it works with all BlackBerrys.
    07-25-10 02:50 PM
    I am new to BB and this forum. I am a converted iPhone user... nuff said

I bought a leather case/pouch w/magnetic strip, separate from the purchase of the phone. I have had, when using the case, horrible battery life. Just sitting in the case, it drains down to 1/2 battery life within 4 hours. By the end of an 8 hour work day, the phone is dead. Sprint is my service and they suggested after swapping my phone out for a new device, that I should try to test using the phone w/o the case. I have done so the past couple of days and no battery issues.

Is there anything related to this theory? I have been asked by RIM support if I bought the phone with the case? Do higher end BB models come w/case?

Adam
    07-28-10 09:45 AM
    I guess all models but the 8500s do.

The case you bought? Was it OEM BlackBerry? I have the 8900's leather pouch for mine and no such issues when using it. Fits perfectly.

Ofc, I also follow pretty much all the rules on this thread and suggest you do aswell and see if results get better.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-28-10 at 10:00 AM.
    07-28-10 09:52 AM
    Yeah, the case was OEM BB and I bought at crackberry.com. Since I just purchased last week, I want to get it figured out quickly as I can get my money back within 30 days or get something different.
    07-28-10 09:56 AM
    Yeah, the case was OEM BB and I bought at crackberry.com. Since I just purchased last week, I want to get it figured out quickly as I can get my money back within 30 days or get something different.
    Can you say which one you got please? So we can see if it is or not the right one for your 8500?
    07-28-10 10:00 AM
    Can you say which one you got please? So we can see if it is or not the right one for your 8500?
    BlackBerry Leather Pocket Pouch for Curve 8530

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content
    07-28-10 10:02 AM
    BlackBerry Leather Pocket Pouch for Curve 8530

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content
    Get the one you have and see if the magnet is working. The magnet is what sets the device to save battery.

Take it to the fridge and see if it sticks. Try both sides. If it does, then the problem is in the device.

To rule out software problem, go Options > Pasword

Make sure Lock device is set ot Yes (the last option).

If both the pouch sticks to metal and the option are set right (assuming you do take into consideration al of the tips in this thread), you might have a faulty battery or a faulty device.

Testing time. Good luck!
    07-28-10 10:24 AM
    Take it to the fridge and see if it sticks. Try both sides. If it does, then the problem is in the device. - Only one side sticks, it's the side with the metal BB icon.

To rule out software problem, go Options > Pasword

Make sure Lock device is set ot Yes (the last option). - This was set to NO; changed to YES now.

If only one side of the case is magnetic, do I need to slide the BB in a certain way or is the case defective? My wife also has the same phone/case and has the same battery issue. I've had a battery replaced 1st and then they replaced the device. I still had battery life issues a couple of days ago. Then these past two days, I have gone w/o the case and don't seem to have the issue.

On the configuration of the phones:

Battery Care & Feeding- Charged nightly every night. Battery has died on me so I have also allowed it to red-line also a couple of times

Hardware Tips- I have WiFi OFF. No bluetooth or teether for me.

Configuration Tips- Brightness @ 60, Timeout @ 10 secs.

Application Tips- Close out of everything, although I only use Sprint Cup mobile app and twitter. My wife hardly uses anything.
    07-28-10 10:48 AM
    8530 have a known battery management with their older 5.0 OS. Are you updated to the latest version of your OS?
    07-28-10 10:51 AM
    8530 have a known battery management with their older 5.0 OS. Are you updated to the latest version of your OS?
    I show v5.0.0.459 (Platform 4.2.0.201)
    07-28-10 11:08 AM
    I show v5.0.0.459 (Platform 4.2.0.201)
    Update, pronto. You will see a huge difference.
    07-28-10 11:23 AM
    I think this is the latest update? If I am on a apple computer, how do I update? I didn't see the option to update when I syncd the phone.

Correction: My wife's phone has this update:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1108 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1108
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.654
    Software Platform: 4.2.0.298
    File name: 8530AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1108_PL4.2.0.298_A5.0.0.654_S print_L.P.exe
    File size: 102.11MB

This was on my phone before I went to the Sprint store and they replace the device. The new device was not most updated, but I have not used the case since getting the new device either. So software update doesn't seem to be an issue w/o using the case.
    Last edited by brickyardballa; 07-28-10 at 11:36 AM.
    07-28-10 11:28 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD