I bought my curve one month ago, the MetroPCS rep that activate my phone said that when Metro turns on their 4G the BB will get 3G service....

Does anyone have a 8530 where there is already 4G that can confirm or deny this?
    01-08-11 06:48 AM
    I'm in Las Vegas, we have Metro PCS with 4g. I have a 8530 and only get 1X service, no 3G. I read somewhere that Metro is skipping 3G.
    01-09-11 10:25 AM
    Only Verizon has 4G aka LTE launched...
    01-09-11 10:34 AM
    (Sept. 21, 2010) Today, MetroPCS Communications Inc. (NYSE: PCS) became the first mobile operator to launch commercial 4G LTE services in the United States, offering talk, text and 4G Web access starting as low as $55 per month including taxes and regulatory fees. MetroPCS is also offering the worlds first commercially available 4G LTE enabled handset, the Samsung Craft. Service will initially be available in Las Vegas, Nevada, with service expanding into the remaining MetroPCS cities throughout the year.
    01-09-11 06:20 PM
    the 8530 already runs what is the CDMA version of 3G. Under your signal strength you should see 1X EV (all uppercase). If you see 1x ev or 1x you are not getting full data coverage and you need to make sure you have the correct data plan in place. My old 8130 ran on 1X EV so I assume this device should too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 05:31 AM
    the 8530 already runs what is the CDMA version of 3G. Under your signal strength you should see 1X EV (all uppercase). If you see 1x ev or 1x you are not getting full data coverage and you need to make sure you have the correct data plan in place. My old 8130 ran on 1X EV so I assume this device should too!

You had 1X EV on MetroPCS?
    01-11-11 12:55 PM
    From my knowledge Metro Pcs does not offer 3g service, just the newly launched 4G in selected devices.
    01-11-11 07:01 PM
    Sorry if this is not the place to start with a new problem, but having been through 4 (yes four) BB 8530s with metropcs, I have to chime in. Each of these phones worked great...while they worked. All were upgraded to the latest software, and so was the BB desktop manager. The first brand new out of the box phone became completely inoperable when I inserted a brand new Kingston 4GB class 4 micro sd card. It wouldn't turn off, none of the keys was resonsive. I rebooted it, same problem. I removed the battery, same problem...it would only boot up to the screen that says "Metropcs...wireless for all"....period.
    The next 3 became completely unresponsive, just like the first, at various times...after a few days, after 2 weeks...I downloaded a handful of apps from the BB app site...Mr. Number, Mr. Number call blocker, a radio station, I watched youtube videos without any problems. However, without warning, upon turning the phone on, it wouldn't boot up past the "wireless for all" screen. After countless hours on the phone with tech support or in the corporate store where I took it, I was finally given a credit for the full amount of the BB. One of the techs said that it was not good to have apps running in the background, or any kind of streaming apps on the phone because their 1xRTT network can't handle it, which to me, negates the reasons I bought the phone in the first place! I am now using a cheapie, non-smart phone, and eureka, it works...but zero bells and whistles
    Does anyone, anywhere, have any idea why this might have happened? Thanks!
    01-12-11 04:09 PM
    Hello everyone, new to the forum and going to purchase my first ever Blackberry 8530 for MetroPCS. I currently have their Samsung Caliber & prior to that an Iphone. Now that I read zmanny's post, I am thinking twice about getting it. I have never had a problem with any of the Metro phones I have owned.

Am I to assume that the 8530 on MetroPCS can receive & use all of the same apps on BB's for any other carrier or are the apps limited to certain ones?
    01-28-11 11:30 AM
    I've had trouble with apps that stream such as music apps like pandora and slacker radio. If you try to play them and you aren't on wifi connection, they will not work. they do perform on wifi. So if you have wifi access there shouldn't be a problem. Other apps work fine for me too!

01-28-11 05:39 PM
    4G on 85xx is not possible cause the radio band "only" support EDGE (8520) and CDMA 3G which is 1x EV on 8530 so there is no such thing seing a 3G or even 4G Signal icons on Curve 85xx

01-29-11 07:38 AM
    Thanks for the info! Not a big fan of playing music on the BB or watching youtube videos. I usually use those on my Itouch. The phone is more email, calendar, tasks, of course talk, text, web and more of my day to day organization.
    01-29-11 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD