I've never had a smartphone before and my brother got me this for a christmas gift. its a $50/month plan! great deal. Anyways, Im already on this carrier, but dont know anything about smartphones.

Basically, I want to know about:

Whats the purpose of having wifi when I have unlimited internet usage? Are their benefits to using wifi?

what about the phones ability to stream music and videos? can i watch youtube videos or listen to pandora on it?

are the capabilities the same compared to other carriers?

Thanks in advance! if you have any other knowledge/ tips about the phone on this carrier it will be very much appreciated.
    12-14-10 02:50 PM
    Ahh! I see another Newbie Besides me on this Forum, anyways to answer your Questions.
    1. Wifi is a better options In terms of making calls where there's No Carrier Signal or Signal is Weak. WiFi Boost it and makes it better.
    browsing seems faster to me on both my BB 8520 and 9700. The Downside of the WiFi is when you loose or drop calls whenever Wifi signal drops or move out of its Range. Although I haven't experienced it with browsing. Don't think it does.

2. Yes U can stream Music and Videos depending on the their of Device or Apps you have. its Slim pickins on the BB, YES Pandora works great on any BB Device so is any Internet Radio App. Must Have Unlimited data

3. Same Capabilities I believe, I have T-mobile and My Unlimited Data plan is the Cheapest I've seen from all other carriers, Only Difference.

Hope I Helped
    12-14-10 04:10 PM
    Ahh! I see another Newbie Besides me on this Forum, anyways to answer your Questions.
    1. Wifi is a better options In terms of making calls where there's No Carrier Signal or Signal is Weak. WiFi Boost it and makes it better.
    browsing seems faster to me on both my BB 8520 and 9700. The Downside of the WiFi is when you loose or drop calls whenever Wifi signal drops or move out of its Range. Although I haven't experienced it with browsing. Don't think it does.

2. Yes U can stream Music and Videos depending on the their of Device or Apps you have. its Slim pickins on the BB, YES Pandora works great on any BB Device so is any Internet Radio App. Must Have Unlimited data

3. Same Capabilities I believe, I have T-mobile and My Unlimited Data plan is the Cheapest I've seen from all other carriers, Only Difference.

Hope I Helped
    Wi-Fi (UMA) calling is only available on T-Mobile in the USA. This is not something that can be used with MetroPCS.

The advantage of Wi-Fi is faster browsing and on a CDMA carrier such as MetroPCS, it is possible to use voice and data simultaneously when connected to Wi-Fi.
    12-14-10 04:15 PM
    Wi-Fi (UMA) calling is only available on T-Mobile in the USA. This is not something that can be used with MetroPCS.

The advantage of Wi-Fi is faster browsing and on a CDMA carrier such as MetroPCS, it is possible to use voice and data simultaneously when connected to Wi-Fi.
    Ahh! Didn't know that, Glad I got T-mobile. Sucks not to have a GSM phone huh
    Thanks Man
    12-14-10 04:20 PM
    Thanks for your answers!

So with wifi on metro you can do call and data at the same time?! That sure is a step up from what Im used to. I've hated that i had to end calls with someone if i needed to use the web browser.

Also, I've been looking around here, i've seen alot of posts about upgrading the 0S. Is that necessary or what constitutes an upgrade? Im not tech savvy so I would prefer to just be able to use the phone as is.
    12-14-10 05:08 PM
    Thanks for your answers!

So with wifi on metro you can do call and data at the same time?! That sure is a step up from what Im used to. I've hated that i had to end calls with someone if i needed to use the web browser.

Also, I've been looking around here, i've seen alot of posts about upgrading the 0S. Is that necessary or what constitutes an upgrade? Im not tech savvy so I would prefer to just be able to use the phone as is.
    Yes, if you are connected to Wi-Fi, you can use data while on a call. The data will go through Wi-Fi, rather than the mobile network.

I would recommend that you learn more about your new device first before upgrading the OS. Once you understand how your device works, you can upgrade if you so desire.

These lectures are a great place to start learning more about BlackBerry.
    12-14-10 05:16 PM
    I do want to also mention, not sure if you read the fine print but the $50/month special Metro offered on the BB is only limited to one year. After a year, you will be paying $60/month. Just an FYI.
    01-28-11 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD