I know it’s like thousands of threads to update the OS to 5.0, but for some reason it’s not working with my phone (BlackBerry Curve 8520/ OS 4.6.1.259). I have been working on this for 2 weeks and it is killing me. Is there a video or away I can do it from my phone? Thanxs

I’m using
    OS 8520 v5.0.0.592 Wind Hellas
    Package Version: 5.0.0.1004
    Applications: 5.0.0.592
    Software Platform: 5.2.0.58
    File name: 8520wifiM_PBr5.0.0_rel1004_PL5.2.0.58_A5.0.0.592_W ind_Hellas.exe
    File size: 123.45MB

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

It take like 10sec and it’s done, but when I open up the Desktop Manager it tells that that a new software was found but it v4.6
    Last edited by TheKid21; 04-23-10 at 09:09 AM.
    04-23-10 08:40 AM
    Can you be more specific?? What seems to be the problem?
    04-23-10 08:42 AM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

Follow the instructions to the letter. Should work like a charm.
    04-23-10 09:22 AM
    I read that.... Do you think I have to MasterRest my BB, because of a setting I my have changed?
    04-23-10 09:45 AM
    I suggest you get a hybrid, they work faster and better in mine and all of my friends opinions. Since your already doing the upgrade you might as well get the best option for your time, and that my friend is a hybrid.
    Anyways here's a few extra tips for you.
    Your upgrading your phone to 5.0 so make sure you have the most recent blackberry desktop manager installed, I think its 5.0.1.
    Next download a program called BBSAK (blackberry swiss army knife version 1.7)
    Also delete any other os's you have installed on your pc (this may be the reason it is only finding os 4.6)
    Since you already have you data backed up, plug your berry in and load up BBSAK click the button labeled wipe os, this deletes everything on your berry.
    Next hit the button labeled load os, this opens loader.exe
    Click next until you have the option on what to install and check off every box, keep hitting next until it starts to install.
    Once its finished your berry will start to turn on and it may look like it is frozen or stuck at some point, rest assured it isn't and just let it do its thing but do NOT under any circumstances pull the battery out.

When its finally loaded back up you will have to turn your connections back on and allow it to collect service books, this could take some time, again don't be impatient, just let it do what it needs.
    Finally open up desktop manager and ONLY load your contacts, calender and old sms/mms messages. Anything else could result in os failure due to incompatibility between os 4.6 and 5.0. To only load specific items you must hit the advanced button and CTRL+ click those 3 or 4 items.

Also remember all your apps and themes are gone and you will have to download 5.0 compatible versions if available.
    If you need more help, here's my pin pin:31F8F344

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 09:52 AM
    Nice info kylecore. I'm keep'n this one. Thanx.
    04-23-10 09:56 AM
    I suggest you get a hybrid, they work faster and better in mine and all of my friends opinions. Since your already doing the upgrade you might as well get the best option for your time, and that my friend is a hybrid.
    Hi. Sorry if i bother, but can you give me a link for the hybrid 5.0 OS for 8520? Please!!! Thx in advance.
    Btw, i tried to install the leaked 5.0.0.411, with all the instructions but the app loader says "The blackberry desktop software does not have BB device software for the device you have connected..."
    My current os is 4.6.1.314
    04-24-10 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD