Hey peeps just wondering. Is it customary for someone to request a custom theme. Say they will donate. Then the builder puts a lot of time in on it. Sends the OTA link. And poof never hears a word again from the requester. Kinda makes me sick. And not willing to do themes anymore. Well like I said was just wondering if this is how its supposed to happen
    04-07-10 08:07 PM
    I'm not a theme builder but I would say don't send the link till you got the donation. Sorry there are people out there like that. But great job on your themes. I like them. Don't give up not everyone is like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 08:24 PM
    Tyvm. I felt that the donation is based on the work I put in on it. To make it the way that they wanted it. The only way they would know they are getting what they pay for is by experiencing it first hand. Guess I just can't be so trusting.
    04-07-10 08:49 PM
    I don't see how people think they suppose to get the theme for free.They the one who requested you to make the theme for them in the first place.As evilash78 stated everyone isnt like that.I love ya themes and keep up the great work.Let them donate before you send them the link.If they want the theme they shouldn't have a problem with donating first.
    04-07-10 09:04 PM
    I make custom themes for a set price, you can check out my price list at my website Bastian's Lair. I always send the person full screenshots of the finished theme. If they are satisified I send a paypal invoice, once that is paid I then send either the Link or zipfile as requested.
    04-07-10 09:32 PM
    heyy! don't give up on your theme building. It's because of people like you that i visit this forum. How much do you normally ask for a donation? I suggest you brand the sample theme in whatever way you can so that they're not satisfied with it, and ask you for a real one given after the donation of course!
    04-07-10 09:32 PM
    I make custom themes for a set price, you can check out my price list at my website Bastian's Lair. I always send the person full screenshots of the finished theme. If they are satisified I send a paypal invoice, once that is paid I then send either the Link or zipfile as requested.
    Wow i really like the way you have that set up! Can you pm me to tell me how you went about building your website. I would really appreciate it. TY
    04-07-10 09:41 PM
    heyy! don't give up on your theme building. It's because of people like you that i visit this forum. How much do you normally ask for a donation? I suggest you brand the sample theme in whatever way you can so that they're not satisfied with it, and ask you for a real one given after the donation of course!
    Normally i give them the finished product and let them decide what the donation is. But i think that times are about to change.
    04-07-10 09:42 PM
    So one theme u don't make $.... Why give up. I personally did countless themes in which I thought I deserved a little bit of dough, but never happened. Then what do u know, when I didn't expect it.... I'm 20 bucks richer!! Just gotta keep makin and count up your gains and losses at the end like I did. Guarantee u'll come out ahead.

04-08-10 01:02 AM
    How about you make them pay up first..if they don't like it you fix what they don't like.. I like the idea of sending it branded first though.. That's a good idea.. I won't ship ebay items before I get the payment..why should this be different? You make good themes fdb..sorry to hear you got screwed..

04-08-10 01:55 AM
    I'm not trying to be rude... but if your theme building skills are as good as your ability to make a relevant thread title (as well as typo's).. maybe the theme you made wasn't worth the money...?

Not trying to be rude, but it is a valid point.
    04-08-10 02:11 AM
    I'm not trying to be rude... but if your theme building skills are as good as your ability to make a relevant thread title (as well as typo's).. maybe the theme you made wasn't worth the money...?

Not trying to be rude, but it is a valid point.
    I find that very hard to believe your not trying to be rude..nice of you to point that out..how is this relevant to this thread? I believe his thread title is very relevant.. He just forgot an s.. customary is a word and it fits the title of the thread accordingly.. If you can't bring anything valuable to the thread why post? Sorry not trying to be rude..

Oooh.. After seeing that was only your 11th post.. Why don't you not post for a while and learn a bit about the community...us here at crackberry are very friendly to our fellow members and would try not to say anything to discourage them or be rude.. Please be helpful to the fellow members.. If not I hope when you have questions of your own people treat you with the same respect that you treated fdb8231 with..
    Last edited by grotty; 04-08-10 at 03:04 AM.
    04-08-10 02:48 AM
    So one theme u don't make $.... Why give up. I personally did countless themes in which I thought I deserved a little bit of dough, but never happened. Then what do u know, when I didn't expect it.... I'm 20 bucks richer!! Just gotta keep makin and count up your gains and losses at the end like I did. Guarantee u'll come out ahead.

Ty unfortunately it wasn't just one. Just burns me how people don't mind taking advantage of you. I started this thread to get ideas on how to get around this. The idea I came across is Branding them till the donation comes in. Awesome idea wish I thought of it B4.
    04-08-10 08:53 AM
    I find that very hard to believe your not trying to be rude..nice of you to point that out..how is this relevant to this thread? I believe his thread title is very relevant.. He just forgot an s.. customary is a word and it fits the title of the thread accordingly.. If you can't bring anything valuable to the thread why post? Sorry not trying to be rude..

Oooh.. After seeing that was only your 11th post.. Why don't you not post for a while and learn a bit about the community...us here at crackberry are very friendly to our fellow members and would try not to say anything to discourage them or be rude.. Please be helpful to the fellow members.. If not I hope when you have questions of your own people treat you with the same respect that you treated fdb8231 with..
    Ty Grotty. I appreciate you got my back lol. I don't hold anything against them for there post. I do however invite them to try one of my free themes b4 they judge my work! I did realize I forgot the S. But unfortunately you can edit a post not the title to a thread. At least that I'm aware of.
    04-08-10 08:59 AM
    There, I edited the thread title for you.

And, to keep my post on topic, no, it's not "customary" but it's an unfortunate reality that this does happen. I have had several requests, fronted with a donation promise, that never came through. Meh.

I have a good memory, and those people won't receive custom work from me anymore. Simple as that. Sure as heck isn't going to stop me from doing something I enjoy, or stop me from doing my very best on any more requests that come my way.
    04-08-10 09:18 AM
    There, I edited the thread title for you.

And, to keep my post on topic, no, it's not "customary" but it's an unfortunate reality that this does happen. I have had several requests, fronted with a donation promise, that never came through. Meh.

I have a good memory, and those people won't receive custom work from me anymore. Simple as that. Sure as heck isn't going to stop me from doing something I enjoy, or stop me from doing my very best on any more requests that come my way.
    Ty for doing that I appreciate it! And I have a good memory also. They will NEVER receive a requested custom theme from me again either. And I was just quite mad that it happened again. I'm not quitting. I do enjoy it. I do have honest customers like "Haymond" who posted in here earlier. As well as many others. I just wish the people who burn you realized the time and effort you put in on these custom ones to make it exactly how they requested it. That is ok. From now on they will receive it with a brand on every screen untill the donation is received. That way they can still see how it works.
    Last edited by fdb8231; 04-08-10 at 09:33 AM.
    04-08-10 09:22 AM
    Ty for doing that I appreciate it! And I have a good memory also. They will NEVER receive a requested custom theme from me again either. And I was just quite mad that it happened again. I'm not quitting. I do enjoy it. I do have honest customers like "Haymond" who posted in here earlier. As well as many others. I just wish the people who burn you realized the time and effort you put in on these custom ones to make it exactly how they requested it. That is ok. From now on they will receive it with a brand on every screen untill the donation is received. That way they can still see how it works.
    Agreed. I actually have one who requested a custom version of one of my themes, stiffed me, then had the gall to request again for another one of my themes. After my initial shock/irritation, I had a good laugh about it, knowing that they would get theirs in due time.

What goes around, comes around, and treating people the way you expect to be treated always works out in the end, one way or another.
    04-08-10 10:00 AM
    Is it customary for someone to request a custom theme. Say they will donate. Then the builder puts a lot of time in on it. Sends the OTA link. And poof never hears a word again from the requester.
    You also get the one's that post how great your theme is and that they are going to donate and never do. I'd rather simply have a good review & no mention of donation if you don't intend to give. Reading that you will and never doing it kind of bums me out.

Yeah, it happens. One of your buddys was the first to burn me on that. And then he came back asking for another. I'm not name dropping because he now contributes to the community. I just chalk it up to a lesson learned & I almost want to thank him for it.

I've worked out a process for this that helps to discourge it. Most people never get back to me after I respond to there request with a suggested donation based on the work & a short description of the process. Those who have stayed for the ride have pretty much been AWESOME people to work with & for. And for them, I give 100%. I even continue to tweak their themes once in a while for nothing just because they were good to me.

I've thought of going to the store, but I hear they take up to 30% of the price you list. Which may not be to bad since you're more likely to sell more. But I would have missed out on all this & the friends that I've made along the way.

Good Luck & Enjoy.
    04-08-10 11:41 AM
    Sorry for the dishonest people. Although I have never used a paid theme, I have appreciated the free ones I have used, and I do give a small donation to the theme builder. Hopefully you wont let the bad apples spoil the whole basket full of good ones here.
    04-08-10 03:55 PM
    I think if someone can't afford (or doesnt want to put out) even a lousy $2 or 3 donation for a theme, then they shouldn't have such an expensive toy as a Blackberry. Those who scam the designers are pathetic, if not just plain despicable, as well as the constant beggars for freebies. Keep that up and nobody's going to do it for any of us eventually.

Very good idea for the builders to lock your themes with a trademark of some sort until the requesting party puts out a couple bucks. Go for it!

A huge Thank You to the people with the talent and the generosity to make these themes and share them with us. I've bought from and donated to fdb8231 and b15ginz, and there's another other guy who gave me one for free. They all do great work and my themes are beautiful. You guys rock, and your themes you must lock!
    04-08-10 05:07 PM

Well said grotty....another noob trolling through the forums until they brick their berry...then we'll see who has spelling issues...
    04-08-10 07:22 PM
    and to Fdb...bro you stop making themes and I send my goon...and we know who that is don't we?!? lol
    04-08-10 07:24 PM
    Most all our themes are free here...and yes there are "premium" themes too...but if you send a request for a personal version that's CUSTOM made for YOU....pay up!!! Its just proper for services rendered...its beyond customary. Would you like to be called a thief?? Do the right thing!!! I'm just sayin'

04-09-10 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD