Wonder if this could be done with 81xx....?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 10:51 AM
    cetainly can.... all homescreen elements are still available for use as well as being able to reposition banner objects anywhere on the screen. no more failing to export because an icon isin the banner or the banner objects are outside the banner boundary.
    basicly, anything on the homescreen can be anywhere on the homescreen
    Could anyone here make a full screen banner theme with 6 'bottom dock' icons and about 5 calendar items?
    08-26-09 11:10 AM
    Could be done with 81xx....?
    09-05-09 08:49 PM
    @blackngray70 - I've found 48x48 to be the best icon size. Make the overlays etc. 60x60, but you will have to "play" with the content size itself. Leave a good bit of blank space on all 4 sides.

@trueaznballa07- this method won't work with any device that doesn't have a 320x240 screen.

09-07-09 01:52 PM
    [/LIST]Known Issues -
    1. In the Banner section of theme builder, the battery meters, signal meters, wifi meters, and unread icons won't work unless you use custom ones. The theme will build and export, but when installed on a device it just plain wont work nicely. Try it and see if you wanna.
    2. Your application icons (yes all of them) won't work as is. You will need to make square icons (I recommend 48x48 png's) and replace every one. Again, try it and see what I'm talking about if you like.
    3. Your dialog backgrounds, dialog buttons, and dialog icons need to be customized as well....just like above...try it.
    4. Your icons/meters in the "Phone" section of Theme Builder won't work as is. You either need to customize, or use ones from the dimension 320x240 sample.
    The good news is that most png icons for Linux are 256x256 scalable pngs. Resize and away you go. Just google "Linux Gnome KDE Icons" and you'll find plenty, and most are quite nice as well.
    Thanks for the info. It would seem that one of the other samples folders within Plazmic would contain images of the proper size to work in the above circumstances. Have you found this to be the case? I'm willing to go through the effort to go for it but without knowing what size to use for every single image it seems a little daunting.
    09-08-09 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the info. It would seem that one of the other samples folders within Plazmic would contain images of the proper size to work in the above circumstances. Have you found this to be the case? I'm willing to go through the effort to go for it but without knowing what size to use for every single image it seems a little daunting.

You have a pretty good grasp of what's happening, I can tell from the questions

For dialogs, buttons, and meters on the "Phone" section of theme builder - the Dimension sample stuff will work fine. If you leave it as is, it shows the precision style stuff in theme builder, but when you export it's a "weird" looking version of the dimension samples that get built in. In a nutshell, you have to substitute the correctly sized dimension items for what is in by default. Make your custom items the same size/scale of dimension samples and you're good to go.

App icons - It's hard to describe what it does to them when exported. It seems to shrink the content by about 40%, then resizes the canvas to make things 48x48 again. You'll see exactly what I mean if you use the standard precision icons and overlay samples, then export and jump to app screen. I usually make a 46x46 icon that fills the entire canvas, then resize canvas to 48x48 to give a little border. Best advice i can give here is trial and error. Good news is that when you find a set that works well, you can compare content vs. canvas size and overall size and have a good handle where to start next time. A good way to check it out is make a 48x48 transparent png, with a bright colored spot about 10 px from the top and 10 px from the right of the canvas, save it as a png and use it for the overlay. Compare where the dot shows on the icon, and adjust your borders as needed. I know this sounds like a non-answer Best thing to do here is play with one icon and an overlay and see what effect any adjustments have. Maybe someone smarter than I can pin this one down

Having said all that, I have found the standard dimension icon set with the verticle canvas adjusted to 48px while keeping the original content centered seems a decent starting point. The included precision samples just resize "funny".
    09-08-09 09:50 PM
    @blackngray70 - I've found 48x48 to be the best icon size. Make the overlays etc. 60x60, but you will have to "play" with the content size itself. Leave a good bit of blank space on all 4 sides.

@trueaznballa07- this method won't work with any device that doesn't have a 320x240 screen.

The icon size i'm using for my 83xx theme is 50x50, with a focus icon I "think" the same size. The problem I have is with the application screen focus icons..seems if I try the standard curve size, 40x40, 50x38, etc even 52x52, the focus icon gets cut off and only highlighs like 2/3 of the icon.. the bottom 1/3 of the icon is not "focused."

I'll try a size of 60x60 for the focus icon and see if that helps.
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 09-21-09 at 01:32 PM.
    09-18-09 04:58 PM
    This is what I'm seeing using this program tweak: The plazmic screen of the Applications page is different than what is shown using the simulator.

also, if you notice the focus icon, it cuts of the bottom. this happens regardless of the icon size i'm using - it's always cut off the same place.

In the second image, I'm actually using a 60x60 focus icon, as suggested. The icons themselves are I think 52x52. The standard 83xx icon size of 48x36 gets all distorted..

09-20-09 10:52 PM
    I've noticed that the home screen icons can be pretty large, 50x50 or higher (haven't really tried higher).

However the application screen is best at 48x36. What I did was took a 500x500 image in red and blue, set one as overlay and one as focus. no matter what it would cut off at 48x36. As far as the icons go I would assume they are the same size.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

PERSONALLY I think using an underlay or overlay image without the width of at least 48 looks funny. You get large spaces horizontally where vertically they are closer. With a width of at least 48 it fills in those spaces.

I assume the icons are the same as the underlay and overlay images. The actual icons probably can not exceed 36 height so making them any taller than this would cut off so making them 48x36 is ideal as well just center them horizontally between that 48 pixel width.

This is what I personally have found to be true, I could be wrong on some things.
    09-21-09 01:57 AM
    I thought with this full banner version, the icons could NOT be the standard 46x38.. at least when I use that ratio the icon gets all distorted. I'm using 52x52 for my icons. My problem is the focus icon on the App page gets cut off. The home screen focus icon works perfect and I think I'm using a 52x52 focus icon for the Home screen icons.
    09-21-09 01:30 PM
    I have to say kudos to the OP. I think this thread is written in the true spirit if CB. I'm not sure of the overall legality, but awesome work. I might have to try this theme building thing again this week.

09-21-09 02:00 PM
    I thought with this full banner version, the icons could NOT be the standard 46x38.. at least when I use that ratio the icon gets all distorted. I'm using 52x52 for my icons. My problem is the focus icon on the App page gets cut off. The home screen focus icon works perfect and I think I'm using a 52x52 focus icon for the Home screen icons.
    This could be, I've not tried to make a theme with this full screen method yet. However opening your image in photoshop and making a selection of the focus icon, the width is 48 pixels. I can't tell what the height is because it's a gradient and fades away, however I think it's safe to say it's 36.

I'll open a full screen banner theme and mess with it later to see what's up.
    09-21-09 04:17 PM
    ^^^
    that's just it.. that particular icon is 52x52 (icon_glow2.png) but plazmic keeps resetting it to like 48x36...weird...
    09-21-09 04:37 PM
    Yeah I tried every icon size under the sun and some not seen since the building of the ancient pyramids and nothing worked. What you see is not at all what you get either upon export. I could get fairly close but never perfect. I cut ties with it in order to maintain my sanity.

It's a cool thread by a cool guy but if it's doable, the trick to it all has eluded me.
    09-21-09 06:15 PM
    In a nutshell, you have to substitute the correctly sized dimension items for what is in by default. Make your custom items the same size/scale of dimension samples and you're good to go.
    For the home screen, that works fine with the icon size of 52x52.

App icons - It's hard to describe what it does to them when exported. It seems to shrink the content by about 40%, then resizes the canvas to make things 48x48 again. You'll see exactly what I mean if you use the standard precision icons and overlay samples, then export and jump to app screen. I usually make a 46x46 icon that fills the entire canvas, then resize canvas to 48x48 to give a little border. Best advice i can give here is trial and error. Good news is that when you find a set that works well, you can compare content vs. canvas size and overall size and have a good handle where to start next time. A good way to check it out is make a 48x48 transparent png, with a bright colored spot about 10 px from the top and 10 px from the right of the canvas, save it as a png and use it for the overlay. Compare where the dot shows on the icon, and adjust your borders as needed. I know this sounds like a non-answer Best thing to do here is play with one icon and an overlay and see what effect any adjustments have. Maybe someone smarter than I can pin this one down

Having said all that, I have found the standard dimension icon set with the verticle canvas adjusted to 48px while keeping the original content centered seems a decent starting point. The included precision samples just resize "funny".
    Yeah, this is where it gets all out of whack! The Plazmic shows as six icons across, with three rows, but once you look at it in the simulator and export if, it shows six icons across and five down and the icons seem be get shrunk..

I can live with this aspect of it, but what I'm about to give up on is the focus icon underlay.. no matter what dimensions i assign to the focus icon, it gets distorted and seems to revert back to 48x36, while the icons seem to stay at 52x52 (size I used).
    09-21-09 10:19 PM
    I wish I could be of more help. I'm faaarrrr from a graphic arts wiz.

One last thing to try -
    Make a standard focus icon of 48x36. Resize the canvas while keeping the content centered to 48x48. This should put a large border of open space at the top and bottom. If that looks better, you could even try 52x52 or 64x64.

What I'm seeing is that Plazmic resizes the icons differently than it does the overlays. I always just use the attached overlay vs. an icon underlay. Grab it, use it, then export and look at how it acts in theme builder vs. simulator vs. on device. Maybe someone can make more sense of it.

This is the reason I wanted this info out there. I know eventually some of you artisticly talented folks will be able to run with this one, and we all can benefit.
    09-24-09 12:12 PM
    I've tried and tested this tricky Plazmic about weeks. And i was so disappointed.. Everything work fine, except the Application Icons. I assumed that they Plazmic have some text coded in their *.THM files, or somewhere else ..
    Hoping s.o talented enough and generous for sharing text code.. like this..
    09-24-09 01:03 PM
    THanks!!! THis will comein handy!!!
    09-24-09 08:33 PM
    Will this work for Theme builder 5.0??
    12-07-09 08:23 PM
    Well, I tried and failed... Can anyone that has succeeded with the Icons, maybe post a set that doesn't look distorted. Besides the dimesions icons.

12-07-09 09:42 PM
    well here it is , I used the hack and it seemed to work fine but when I go to export I get an program error and the builder closes I have reinstalled and did everything I could think of even tried it with TB 4.7 as well as 5.0 and thoughts ?
    12-09-09 04:54 AM
    bottomBannerSample.zip,No longer issued a ? This is my mailbox, [email protected] from China . Glad to see your article ! ! Thank you!
    04-06-12 07:27 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD