01-27-10 11:40 AM
56 123
tools
    Awesome. Can't wait

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 11:45 AM
    This is actually been a pretty fun project to work on for the most part. I found enough scripting where I wont have to program too much seeing as how I have not done it in like 4 years and have forgotten so much i felt like i was in school again lol But the framework is up im gonna start sifting through forums and adding in some files and content for people to least look at and give some input in to and at some point when i have refreshed myself enough ill actually dig in and start hard coding things for the mobile version.
    01-09-10 05:50 PM
    you are soooo my hero! remember to put a spot on that site for donations!!!
    01-11-10 01:20 PM
    I think this is Wonderful Idea!!!
    Good job in advance I will be a frequent visitor!!

01-11-10 01:24 PM
    So if I understand what you are saying, you are going to be taking themes that people post here on Crackberry and place them on your site.

As for Donations you are going to be asking that people Donate to you and not to the person that created the theme!!!

I really don't think you are going to find any Theme Developers that don't complain as soon as one of their themes shows up on your site. Don't forget that CrackBerry does not allow Advertising or Traffic Leeching!!!!
    Last edited by curve1967; 01-11-10 at 02:18 PM.
    01-11-10 02:16 PM
    I'm really looking forward to this site and can't wait to see what you come up with

01-11-10 11:07 PM
    Fantastic idea. I hope you can pull it off.
    01-12-10 07:41 PM
    So if I understand what you are saying, you are going to be taking themes that people post here on Crackberry and place them on your site.

As for Donations you are going to be asking that people Donate to you and not to the person that created the theme!!!

I really don't think you are going to find any Theme Developers that don't complain as soon as one of their themes shows up on your site. Don't forget that CrackBerry does not allow Advertising or Traffic Leeching!!!!
    Promise I would give my left ball if people would actually read an original post before popping out the soap box.

Nowhere did I say there would be any charges or donations if donations were requested it would be to help with server load and bandwidth cost.

As for original content out of every theme made available about 5% are actual original content, most are just icons and graphics obtained from other authors graphic material.

The only developers that would be able to complain are the ones that hand crafted an entire theme using there own graphic ideas, icons and such. But as the site stands its simply a free archive to keep the content in existence instead of disappearing off the face of the earth which I haven't spoke to any content developers that had a problem with this or could care less since the content is free to begin with and it gives a revolving source for OTA transmissions
    01-13-10 12:24 AM
    Unless you receive permission from those who spent their time making the themes... don't do it. Be courteous enough to at least ask for permissions. Not jumping to conclusions, simply giving advice.
    01-13-10 12:38 AM
    Fantasticmax...just keep doin whut your doin. As a musician, I'm all about file sharing. If I put something up for free download I would be exstatic to see it up for free somewhere else...that's free promotion. Long as it had my name on it anyway. I know songs and BB themes aren't the same, but its the same principle. Plus the archive will make hunting down new themes sooo much easier. Can't wait to see whut you got comin for us.

01-13-10 12:52 AM
    It will be impossible to ask every developer for permission as a majority of there content is dead or the developer stopped working on it anyway. Each item will be manually added with multiple links to the forum post where the content was retrieved, a credit to the posters username and such. All of this was included in the outline. So if I take a post from crackberry then links to crackberry will be specified same for pimpmyberry, themes4bb or wherever free content is located so the developer will be linked to, the web site will be linked to which once its in motion should boost traffic to those web sites as well as bring in people that may have not even heard of these web sites. So really the content its self being freely posted would be used but my own domain would not claim credit for anything more than archiving the data
    01-13-10 01:03 AM
    Well the idea is good but being a web developer myself you need more than an idea.
    If your domain isn't good then your site wont be. The domain sells the content (even if its free).
    A catchy domain that will fit your niche is urgent.
    I own thememyberry.com and thememyberry.net
    Just let two designers use both of them but just giving you an idea of what direction to go as far as domains are concerned.
    Dont buy anything with blackberry in it as they can have your site taken offline for trademark copyright if you dont pay them for usage rights.
    If you plan on making your site big, which obviously you do, this will become a problem.
    01-13-10 01:21 AM
    Domains already taken care of, and the site isnt necessarily being designed to draw in masses of people, im intentionally starting it small but am prepared if for some reason it suddenly bursts with users. Ive been in online marketing and web developing for bout 10 years but am rusty having not touched this stuff in around 4 years. I do design and code in an older style fashion so I did have to go with some scripting thats more up to date with todays standards but using that code ill be able to catch myself up and build on it while in a production environment. I also work full time 7 days a week with little time for anything so developing this will also at least be a way to socialize with my limited time schedule.
    01-13-10 11:14 PM

WOW!!! A guy tries doing all of us a favor by spending not only his time (and lots of it) but his own personal money and equipment to help ALL crackberry users, INCLUDING YOU, and you get upset about a suggestion that he offers a spot for donations???? WOW!!! The donations are NOT for the content of the site but are to show appreciation for the work in putting it together. Max has made it VERY clear that he isn't going to take credit OR money for anyone's work but his own.

01-14-10 12:03 AM
    Just a quick update, trying to stay on top of posting here regularly to show some progress.

Essentially the site will be delivered via wordpress basically news and whatever other non content related items will be delivered through the wordpress engines. I found wordpress to be the easiest and most efficient way of getting a site online, if I had to go through and program by hand that would just extend the length of time it takes me to complete it by months so this will be a much more effective means of getting the site online.

The downloads themselves will be delivered through locked read only forums that are categorized along with unlocked forums where visitors can post messages etc. I chose a forum package simply because most of the good even open source providers carry the built in ability to detect a mobil phone so this avenue just made sense.

The forum section will have a direct mobil link where all categories will be displayed and visitors will be able to see screenshots and download the content through the OTA links. If a desktop install is available that will be attached to the forum posting as well.

As things progress and stabilize I will be offering volunteer spots on the forum sections themselves where I will personally train people on how to add content to the locked message boards so that the content will increase at a faster pace.

At this time I am the only one working this project and while i have a domain and infrastructure implemented I do need to spend some time planning out posting layouts to make certain that everything is clean and easy to locate by mobile browser and by pc browsers.

Basically each theme posting will contain screenshot(s) a link to the forum post where the content was discovered, graphic buttons to indicate OTA download, a link to the developers own site if available and a credit to the posters username on the forum that the content was found.

Everything will be laid out in a uniform fashion so there wont be any postings where you have to actually search for a specific action. All of it wil be indicated with graphics.

Really the only thing left for me to work on in the infrastructure is developing or locating a script that can protect the downloads from direct link leeching without referencing the actual posting which shouldn't be too difficult. Then of course uploading a few theme sets and posting a link to the domain for people to experiment with and help me test.
    01-14-10 02:23 AM
    Adding themes in to the archives now. Had some trouble with the mobile version so that part is going to hold for a little bit but will have a main site ready to at least look at pretty quick.
    01-15-10 05:00 PM
    WOOT!!! Can't wait to check it out. Tellin my friend about whut your doin right now.

01-16-10 01:55 AM
    Its about time-am looking for a theme-8900 like L theme for my 8330-plese let me know about new site!

01-16-10 04:27 AM
    The sites up its still rather thin on content but am working on getting more added in. Right now its mostly themes from these forums but all credits are in place. You can download straight to phone if you surf the site with opera mini but for some reason the softwares mobil section was designed with Wap2 which is bout as useful as a single grain of cooked rice.

So far everything is easy to surf, theres no nag ads, popups, really any advertising at all yet. But the site wont ever be something thats annoying to use and it does reference crackberry alot and im noyt selling anything at all so there is no profit involved period so hopefully posting the url here wont get me in some sort of political trouble. But yeah here it is.

Thats My Berry | Content Archive
    01-17-10 03:05 PM
    Very Cool to see it up and running. Can't wait for bold 9700 themes!

Thanks for providing such a great service!
    01-17-10 03:24 PM
    Going to perfect it with all the 83xx themes i can first then definitely incorporating the rest of the models, want to be sure and have the process streamlined first before advancing ahead. Still have a lot to do with the thing. Being the only one working on it slows things down that much more.
    01-17-10 05:48 PM
    Dropped by your sight, looks like it's going to be pretty easy to navigate.
    Noticed one of my themes there. I don't mind my themes being there, I'd just like to see where my user name is associated with the themes I originally posted. Would it be to difficult to include the user name of the author in the post title?
    Just a thought.
    01-17-10 06:02 PM
    Looks great. Got an 8330 so woot for me. Just gotta hunt down an ota of opera mini. Anyone got one?

01-17-10 08:34 PM
    Just dl'ed opera mini to check it out...realy does look amazing. Any idea on when its gunna be usable on the default browser? Took about 3 minutes to relize that I HATE opera mini.

01-17-10 09:54 PM
    Its a matter of locating a programmer to handle converting the mobil part from wap to something a normal browser can handle im really trying to streamline costs of the whole project as much is possible hence using alot of open source resources to power the whole deal. So its mostly just a matter of time really.

As far as usernames and credits go most of the postings already have the username in the post. I know there are a few themes i need to go back and lookup because somehow i missed the credit file when i was organizing but a majority of them already have the credits in place. I didnt want to put the usernames in the titles just for cleanliness purposes. Adding extra info will look sloppy once the content is added in masses.

The postings do contain link backs and user credits.
    01-17-10 10:38 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD