01-27-10 11:40 AM
56 123
tools
    I have been checking out this site and themes for a while but never really posted to the forums. However after going through and seeing the cluster of themes found here and on other sites i decided to pursue a project as a leisure activity for myself but want to see if such a project would be useful to anyone.

What I want to begin doing is developing a website made up entirely of free blackberry themes. The themes would be 100% hosted and delivered by my server and accessible through the blackberry browser and through PC.

The site would not be a blog format like so many of the other garbage sites out there that are just people talking about links.

The site would list and provide an OTA download for as many free themes as myself and volunteers are able to aquire including the screen shots of the themes

The site would be ad and donation supported but the advertising would not be forced everything would be clean and streamlined so visitors are not accidentally clicking ad links instead of actual site links etc.

Basically people could visit the site through there home pc, find a theme they like and have the ota sent direct to their phones email or possibly get a download code from the site and just enter the code in to a mobil website and direct download the theme they choose.

myself and a group of others would spend a lot of time gathering free themes and grouping them on to my own server providing the direct unobstructed access to the files.

I am just wondering if such a project came in to focus would it be something any of you would find useful?

I am rusty on my php programming so it may take some time to get an infrastructure written but it is something im willing to work on if its something people would use.
    01-05-10 02:16 AM
    Yeah, that would be awesome. You don't know how many sites I visit and exit right back out after seeing links and ads and crap. Hopefully it works out for you. I'll be checking...
    01-05-10 02:39 AM
    Sounds great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 04:08 AM
    thats what I'm talkin' about!!! great idea!!!!! I'm not a theme developer but love all the great work!! if you need volunteers just pm me!!
    01-05-10 05:24 AM
    Awesome smackn idea!! Very generous of u. Can't wait till its up n runn. Btw just one tip try to keep themes organized and clearly labeled. Otherwise u end up lookn and clickn forever. Thanx again in advance for all ur hard wrk!!!!

01-05-10 08:54 AM
    That's a great idea!!

I'm sure it would be an extreme benefit to many people...we would just have to get the word out there if you got it up and running
    01-05-10 09:05 AM
    This is great news just do it in categories format for all bb models so that it would be easy to browse for a specific user for a specific theme.

01-05-10 09:09 AM
    I have a fairly clear idea of how ill want the site to operate my main obstacle is refreshing my php programming knowledge to handle such a download site. Its been about 3 or 4 years since I did any programming or running web sites so may take a bit to get my brain back in the game but it will deffinately be something easy to navigate and use yet offer some form of security so i dont blow bandwidth in to the toilet.

When i get a rough beta put together and a domain for the project I will definitely announce it here first.

The beta will of course revolve around the bb curve 83xx model just because that is the model I currently own then as i progress in development ill try and find volunteers that own the other models and let them help maintain the directory for their specific model.

I was even considering a web link icon for a random daily theme so people could just click it in there blackberry and be presented a theme of the day download specific to their bb model and change out their themes daily.

But yeah its definitely going to take some time to get my programming skills dusted off and get this whole thing outlined and planned.
    01-05-10 09:47 AM
    I think you would end up on everyone's Christmas card list!
    01-05-10 09:56 AM
    great idea, i can't wait for it already
    01-05-10 11:30 AM
    Great idea! It will be great! Thanks for taking on this project!

01-05-10 11:42 AM
    Is this a dream, someone pinch me? A place for "one stop theme shopping".
    01-05-10 12:11 PM
    Sounds good

01-05-10 08:47 PM
    I have been working on some outlining on this site dont know how long it will be before i have a working beta to test but in the mean time if any of you are skilled searchers and can locate a php based file system script that can provide screen shots, file uploads, user registration and downloads doesnt matter if its free or not for me to maybe get a head start on the programming with that would be great and pms would be appreciated.
    01-06-10 01:01 AM
    Has this progressed any further.
    Anybody know if this has come to fruition?
    01-06-10 01:38 AM
    u do dis and u would have to change ur name to BBGOD!
    01-06-10 01:47 AM
    Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man. Gunna be EPIC!!! Good luck with your project

01-06-10 09:48 AM
    Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for thinking of all us BB 8330 crackberryians.
    01-06-10 11:22 AM
    Well just a little update, I found a ready made script that i am going to try and utilize and edit to do what i want it to do. Ive also registered a freebie php host to help test the programming, nothing at all has been done as far as the coding or site is concerned but once i have a generic pre pre pre alpha written ill get a link up so people can least see some progress coming along
    01-07-10 01:11 AM
    While I do agree that this is a good idea, you would need to get the permission of each theme maker whose themes you want to host/post on this site. Another person started a site with free themes for all devices and posted some without getting the permission from the creators, which upset several people after they saw their themes on the site.

01-07-10 04:29 AM
    While I do agree that this is a good idea, you would need to get the permission of each theme maker whose themes you want to host/post on this site. Another person started a site with free themes for all devices and posted some without getting the permission from the creators, which upset several people after they saw their themes on the site.

Just so you know, you do have my permission to put my themes on your site just so long as they are free on this site that you are working on.
    01-07-10 08:49 AM
    Great Idea, I'm on board!
    01-07-10 06:46 PM
    The site would not charge for the individual theme downloads as they would be delivered for free, there may have to be a daily download limit to just try and keep bandwidth from going insane but there wont be any charges for the content.
    01-07-10 07:07 PM
    Well I did manage to find a fairly cheap script think it costs 8 bucks euro lol Anyone want to make a donation so i can afford this? BIG joke lol But I will probably go ahead and buy it was trying to find something simple so I can write my own code in to it instead of having to fumble through tons of template and random content coding. I can kinda see now just by whats available these days that I will probably be having to incorporate alot of seperate code scriptings to achieve what im trying to do as no since script offers what i want or just offers too much of what i dont want. Sorry bout the mispellings here im typing this incredibly fast so i can return to my search and hunt that i have been doing all day
    01-07-10 10:06 PM
    Yet another update. The software to power the site was delivered today, i installed it on the test server and will play with it when i get home this afternoon. The way the site may be laid out is i will have seperate sub sites defined for each blackberry model so when people enter the site they choose which model they want themes for and the site will load a backend core that handles just themes for that particular model. Which will also make it easier and more secure when volunteers start coming in to handle the various models for content. Im hoping to have a rough beta draft up and viewable in a couple days.
    01-08-10 02:22 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD