Hi guys, I just purchased a BlackBerry Curve 8310 and I seem to be having some trouble with a few things.

Firstly, on my previous phones (HTC Touch and MotoRAZR V3) I've been able to plug them into a USB port on my PC and transfer files such as pictures, music, and video onto the phone.

I installed the Desktop Manager that came with my 8310 and connected it, and everything seemed to be fine. However, for my ringtones (the ones played for incoming calls, as well as incoming messages), I can't seem to select any files that I've transferred to my BlackBerry from my PC. For example, I used the DM to transfer a .mp3 file that I've always used as my incoming call ringtone, and I tried putting it in several different places on the phone (including the /ringtones directory), but it just doesn't come up in the list when I try to change the tone. Can anyone help me with this or has anyone ever had this issue?

Also, my next question is, where can I get new themes for the 8310 and how do I go about installing/using them? Personally I hate the ones that came with it, they're all really hideous and I'd like to change it as soon as possible.

Another quick question I have is, I'm trying to transfer all of my SMS (text) messages from my old phone, the HTC Touch, to my BlackBerry (there's probably close to 1,000 of them). When I go into my SMS folder on the Touch and select the messages and select Copy to SIM, it ends up saying that there's not enough room on the SIM card and only certain messages were copied. Just wondering if there's any other way to do this more efficiently than copy about 50 messages to the SIM at a time, put it in the 8310, then take it out and put it back in the Touch and do the same thing over again? Hopefully someone can let me know, thanks!
    07-19-08 02:54 PM
    Hi guys, I just purchased a BlackBerry Curve 8310 and I seem to be having some trouble with a few things.

Firstly, on my previous phones (HTC Touch and MotoRAZR V3) I've been able to plug them into a USB port on my PC and transfer files such as pictures, music, and video onto the phone.

I installed the Desktop Manager that came with my 8310 and connected it, and everything seemed to be fine. However, for my ringtones (the ones played for incoming calls, as well as incoming messages), I can't seem to select any files that I've transferred to my BlackBerry from my PC. For example, I used the DM to transfer a .mp3 file that I've always used as my incoming call ringtone, and I tried putting it in several different places on the phone (including the /ringtones directory), but it just doesn't come up in the list when I try to change the tone. Can anyone help me with this or has anyone ever had this issue?

Also, my next question is, where can I get new themes for the 8310 and how do I go about installing/using them? Personally I hate the ones that came with it, they're all really hideous and I'd like to change it as soon as possible.

Another quick question I have is, I'm trying to transfer all of my SMS (text) messages from my old phone, the HTC Touch, to my BlackBerry (there's probably close to 1,000 of them). When I go into my SMS folder on the Touch and select the messages and select Copy to SIM, it ends up saying that there's not enough room on the SIM card and only certain messages were copied. Just wondering if there's any other way to do this more efficiently than copy about 50 messages to the SIM at a time, put it in the 8310, then take it out and put it back in the Touch and do the same thing over again? Hopefully someone can let me know, thanks!

Well.......do you have a media card? Is the PC seeing/reading it? Next, themes are available on this site...........just search out the one(s) that you find useful and you are set.........third........I dunno why you NEED to keep 1000 sms messages on a phone......but that is your choice........can you email them to the berry? Memory is a premium on these devices.......so I would be wary.........I delete all my sms/mms/PIN/Emails off the Berry daily....

Good Luck.....
    07-19-08 03:17 PM
    Yes, I have a 2GB microSD card in it, and it's picking it up. However, when I transfer the files I'm assuming they're being stored on the hard drive, not the media card...where do I need to put them in order to be able to select them as my ringtone?

I'll have a look for some themes around here then, thanks.

Well, a lot of the SMS messages I have are important as most of my emails because a lot are to do with work and such, so I'd like to have them if possible...as far as emailing them to the BlackBerry goes, it's not possible, but then again, I'm not positive about that.

Any other ideas?
    07-19-08 03:22 PM
    I found the easiest way to access multimedia files was to use an external cardreader and dump everything directly tothe card. Then again you could always access the card from dm, sometimes it just seems totake a little longer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 03:50 PM
    No, that's not my problem. My problem is that even though the files are on the phone, they don't show up in the list that appears when you try to change the ringtone. I want to know where I need to put the files or what I need to do for them to be in that list so I can pick them as my ringtone.
    07-19-08 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD