Hi all,

I'm not sure where I should be posting my plea for help but being a proud new owner of a BB8320, I figured at least this is where I should be in.

I've got a BB830 and have not subscribed to a data plan just yet (prob near future) but until that day comes I would like to settle my WiFi woes that I've had for a week now. Also please pardon my ignorance as I am totally new to the BB.

Before I shoot off, I shall furnish you with quick details on how the setup of my network is at home.

Cable modem ----> Router (for wired computers at home) ---->Access Point (for wireless lap tops at home)

Hooking up my BB onto the WiFi network at home
    I've gone through the troubleshooting steps I found in the forums but to no avail. I keep getting the error message saying "Failed to obtain IP". Can someone help me?
    08-02-08 04:51 AM
    08-02-08 05:36 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    08-02-08 06:25 AM
    I see you've found your answer welcome to CB!!!!!
    08-02-08 07:19 AM
    [QUOTE=taimaishuu916;562906]Here is a link

Sorry if I confused any one, I've already got an existing wireless network at home, I just want to hook my BB up to it via WiFi. The problem is I always end up getting an error message that reads "FAILED TO OBTAIN an IP address" Did anyone else have that error?

Care to share? I'm feeling kinda frustrated and jaded, kinda annoying when I can't go online.

Oh and thank you all for the warm welcome!
    08-02-08 10:12 AM
    Is the AP or the router set up as your DHCP server?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-08 10:43 AM
    You will probably find your answer at this link. If you still have problems, post a question there and bmcclure will see it and help you find an answer. He's only checking in this weekend, but he will see the question on Monday and reply then

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    Last edited by exelant; 08-02-08 at 11:01 AM.
    08-02-08 10:58 AM
    welcome to cb
    08-02-08 11:10 AM
    Is the AP or the router set up as your DHCP server?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok, I'm a total ***** when it comes to networking. How will I be able to check that?

Which of the above is supposed to be my DHCP server if I want to be able to hook up my BB to it?

Thanks so much!
    08-03-08 08:51 AM
    You will probably find your answer at this link. If you still have problems, post a question there and bmcclure will see it and help you find an answer. He's only checking in this weekend, but he will see the question on Monday and reply then
    Thank you sir!
    08-03-08 08:52 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I presume you have found the Wifi Diagnostic page, it will likely contain the w002 errror message.

BlackBerry Search Results

W002 - Wi-Fi Connection Failed
    The BlackBerry smartphone cannot get an Internet Protocol (IP) address from the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. This error may be caused by issues with the DHCP server, MAC address filtering, or static IP address assignments.
    Troubleshooting the connections begins with the hardware. BlackBerrys require Wifi 802.11g support, some of the newer routers, using "N" support, have had connection issues.

The best way to troubleshoot is to remove all the security settngs. Return the router to it's factory default settings.

You should seen an Open connection and the required DHCP support. Once you have successfully connected, adding security back is quite simple.

Good Luck.
    08-03-08 09:33 AM
    Welcome to CB!!
    Also...there is truth, and there is opinion...but there is no spoon.
    08-09-08 03:22 PM
    I have the same issue
    but it worked FINE before
    I did a WIPE and after that I started getting the error
    06-06-09 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD