I searched the forums and could never find out where/how to get Yahoo Messenger to work on my new Curve. Determined as I am...I didn't let that stop me!

You don't have to go thru all the suggested downloads and changing browser settings to get Yahoo messenger. Here's the simplest steps.

Open your Media Net browser

Scroll down to Mobile IM (*not* Yahool Messenger)

You should get a page that comes up for OZ Instant Messaging

Select download....wait....restart your Curve.

You should now have an icon that has two little guys on it, a blue one and a gray one.

Click those guys....now you can sign on to YAHOO Messenger, AIM Messenger or MSN Messenger!

You will get the vibrating or sound when you get a new message, unlike when you access thru the webpage, where you have to keep refreshing just to see if if you have any messages!!

Enjoy!
    Tanya
    05-10-08 02:18 PM
    God bless you for posting this. I just ended up buying another Curve because I lost mine last night UGH!!!!

Now its the long process of downloading and retyping contact info because I was too dumb to sync my old BB with my PC at home!!!
    05-10-08 02:28 PM
    For what it's worth, OZ uses text, unlike BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go which uses data.
    Something to think about if you don't have unlimited text.

If you are only interested in ONLY Yahoo IM this will work
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/how...im-2-0-t-7299/
    05-10-08 02:38 PM
    No problem!
    I spent about a week, going crazy, trying to figure out how to get Yahoo messenger on my Curve.

I even read (in one of the crackberry forums) that AT&T didn't offer yahoo messenger on the Curve!!

I'm still playing with mine and trying to find all of the new things and figure them out!
    Good luck!
    Tanya
    05-10-08 02:39 PM
    Yep best make sure you have unlimited messaging if you dont wanna burn up all your text messages, and welcome to CB and BB.
    05-10-08 02:44 PM
    Correct you need services books to use Yahoo messenger, and AT&T doesn't offer them, just Verizon and Sprint.
    05-10-08 02:49 PM
    OK still unclear here. I have a BB curve and ATT as a provider. Are you saying I cannot use Yahoo IM?
    05-10-08 03:30 PM
    You van use it but u have to do a workaround.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 03:35 PM
    OK still unclear here. I have a BB curve and ATT as a provider. Are you saying I cannot use Yahoo IM?
    Yes and no. You can't just go and download and install it as the site will tell you your device is not supported (or some such thing)

If you go to Media Net from your BB and select messaging you can download an app called OZ. This will let you use many IM apps but it charges as text. So if you, like me don't have unlimited text, this is not an attractive option.
    05-10-08 03:36 PM
    I have unlimited text. So I take it that will work then?
    05-10-08 03:46 PM
    Oh and also, is OZ a freebie?
    05-10-08 03:47 PM
    Yes it will and Yes it is.
    05-10-08 03:48 PM
    OK next newbie question, where do I go to get Yahoo IM for this BB curve I have?
    05-10-08 04:01 PM
    Hey there. I Had the same problem actually.

After a little searching. I Typed in Yahoo IM for Blackberry Curve into google and found a link to download it.

I Actually like it a LOT better then the Pearl (Or other Verizon Mobile IM Yahoo's) . It looks like if you took it straight off a PC.
    05-10-08 04:16 PM
    I was just using Yahoo!Messenger on my Pearl Yesterday and when I tried to use it on my new Curve today.... NOTHING!!! I got the infamous "Service is not enabled for this handheld...

Well when the calls to CS couldn't get me the service books I needed, I figured out a work around.

*The only way I'm sure this will work is going from the Pearl 8130 to the Curve 8330.

In BlackBerry Desktop Manager go to "Backup and Restore"

Click on the Advanced... tab.

Then click on scroll down and select "Service Books"

*If you do not click the advanced tab BDM will load everything from your Pearl onto your new Curve which will in turn wipe out everything on your Curve. Unsure if that would be a good idea.

Then click on the Restore... tab.

Scroll down and select "Service Books" mine were listed as having 9 books totaling 1.93KB
    (You'll notice Suretype options is greyed out. I believe if you don't select Advanced first BDM will try and put these and other non essentials on your Curve)

Once copied over the Curve will show only having 7 Service Books. The Web browser is no longer showing on the Home Screen. Put the Kleenex away, there's no reason to cry.

On the Home Screen, go to "Manage Connections"

Scroll down to "Mobile Network Options"

Hit the Menu Key (the button to the left of the trackball with the BlackBerry logo) and select "Start Provisioning"

When it's done you'll see those cool data arrows in the top-right corner of your screen and then presto! your Web Browser is back and Yahoo! is fully operational.

Unless you wanna pay for JiveTalk then buy all means use your money as you wish. It is a recession after all.

Not bad for a Newbie with like 2 posts huh???

But I just figured this out so it's not fully tested yet.... then again neither is the 8330!!! Iif there are any questions or problems let me know. I'll try and be of assistance.

Hope I could help.
    05-14-08 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD