I am currently on sprint, and i am eligible for $150 off of an upgrade phone. I'd really like to go with the tour, but it's stil 199.99 which is a bit more than I would like to spend. I realize that the 8330 is a great phone, but outdated. Will i regret it if i go with an 8330 over the tour to save money?

I'd love to hear your reasons, and from people who have owned both
    08-18-09 10:33 PM
    Yes I love my Curve 8330.

But... the Tour is a big leap (loads more memory, newer OS, better screen, EVDO RevA, etc).

You may want to find a Curve locally (Craigslist, ebay, etc) and verify the ESN is clear on Sprint and purchase it straight out and pick up the Tour or whatever later when you're ready.

D
    08-18-09 10:41 PM
    well the curve is only 49.99 new from sprint, and is actually free from Best Buy with a 2 year contract extension. That's why I want to go with it, but if the Tour is really worth the extra money, I'd just as soon buy it now and get it over with

EDIT: if I bought a curve locally and activated it with sprint, would i be on my current contract with no extension or renewal? I didn't think of that. that would be the only way i would see this being an advantage, otherwise i would buy it new for dirt cheap (or free)
    Last edited by bonnevillain; 08-18-09 at 10:47 PM.
    08-18-09 10:45 PM
    I would go with the Tour. It is worth the extra money.
    08-18-09 10:46 PM
    I sorta miss my Curve actually--that thing was a POWER house of a device, definitely worth owning!
    08-18-09 10:47 PM
    well the curve is only 49.99 new from sprint, and is actually free from Best Buy with a 2 year contract extension. That's why I want to go with it, but if the Tour is really worth the extra money, I'd just as soon buy it now and get it over with

EDIT: if I bought a curve locally and activated it with sprint, would i beon my current contract with no extension or renewal? that woudl be the only way i would see this being an advantage, otherwise i would buy it new for dirt cheap (or free)

The Tour is new and it has it's bugs, but according to the CB front page it looks like an incrimental fix may be coming for some of them.

The big thing is the 8330 won't be getting much else from where it is (minus some patch style updates).

The Tour has it's issues, sure, but it's also a huge leap forward. You've got gobs more onboard memory, the EVDO rA (8330 is Rev0), better screen, 4.7 OS with a 5.0 very likely. It's just a better piece of hardware.

So really it's up to you... both will do you good. I, personally, am changing out my 8330 for a Tour next week.
    08-18-09 10:49 PM
    I had the Tour for a few weeks, I sent it back for a refund and am sticking with my 8330.

The Tour was only an incremental improvement over the 8330.

For me, the 8330 can do almost everything (GPS on Verizon, 'nuff said) the Tour can. I didn't need 125MB of file free memory, I do just fine on 47MB thank you.

Sure the high resolution screen was nice, but it also makes things look 1.5x smaller and harder to see.

The 3.2MP camera is great, but I would still use my 5+MP digicam if I wanted to take pics.

And I never liked the Tour's keyboard. IMO the 8330's KB is a lot better.

I'm waiting for something better.

Most everyone else will tell you otherwise though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Even though I own a Curve 8330 already, I will pay full VZW retail for a new one when needed. Dedicated Curve 8330 owner here.

I had the Tour for a few weeks, I sent it back for a refund and am sticking with my 8330.

The Tour was only an incremental improvement over the 8330.

For me, the 8330 can do almost everything (GPS on Verizon, 'nuff said) the Tour can. I didn't need 125MB of file free memory, I do just fine on 47MB thank you.

Sure the high resolution screen was nice, but it also makes things look 1.5x smaller and harder to see.

The 3.2MP camera is great, but I would still use my 5+MP digicam if I wanted to take pics.

And I never liked the Tour's keyboard. IMO the 8330's KB is a lot better.

I'm waiting for something better.

Most everyone else will tell you otherwise though.

Did you notice a performance difference between the two? I am coming from a windows mobile 6 phone, and the overall lag and slowness is frustrating. This would be one of my main reasons for upgrading to the Tour.
    08-18-09 10:51 PM
    Did you notice a performance difference between the two? I am coming from a windows mobile 6 phone, and the overall lag and slowness is frustrating. This would be one of my main reasons for upgrading to the Tour.
    Compared to a WinMo phone (I just sold the last of mine) it's going to be blazing fast on either one. The RIM OS is very streamlined and efficient on either device. I just got rid of my HTC Touch Pro (with WinMo 6.5) and my Palm Pro (6.1) recently as I was tired of its performance. I love how upgradable and tweakable WinMo is but the OS sucks in performance, battery life, data/battery combo life, and all that stuff compared to my Berry. I went BACK to my 8330 actually.

The performance change will most likely be seen in apps/multimedia as the OS is going to run pretty smooth on either.

The main difference in the OS' will be the versions.

The 8330 uses 4.5.X.X
    The TOUR uses 4.7.1.X

So it's using a much newer OS overall. Plus with OS 5 coming soon most likely the 83XX series wont be seeing it and they'll be stuck on 4.5. That may not even matter to you.

I'd say go play with both and then make your decision.
    08-18-09 10:59 PM
    Yeah, i think i will check them out at the sprint store tomorrow. Are all 8330s being sold now the m version?
    08-18-09 11:05 PM
    I love my 8330m (red) not one problem since i went and got it july 1st when my upgrade was up, loaded a nice theme, few apps, app world, trapster ( it works to ) bbweather, ubtertwitter, yahoo IM, Opera and CB button.
    08-18-09 11:15 PM
    I buy a new 8330 every June. I need the tax write-off, and everyone needs a new phone to play with

I have a Tour here as well. Gave it to the wife once I changed out the trackball assy with a spare 8330 one. She's a pretty non-technical gal and says there's not much difference besides the bigger display, and her old curve was better to type on.

I'll keep buying a new 8330 every year as long as someone is willing to sell me one.

BTW - rumour has it that the 8330 WILL get the 5.0 OS, at least according to some of the folks here at CB with a bit of inside info. AFAIC it runs just fine on 4.5/4.6 and wouldn't change my mind even if it never got 5.0.

08-18-09 11:37 PM
    Umm get the Tour, duh! I think you will regret it if you don't. I love my 8300, but it is really bothering me just because I know there are better models out now.
    08-18-09 11:38 PM
    Go to the store and put both in your hands. Play with all of the features and see which one fits you the best.

08-18-09 11:42 PM
    Pardon the double post...too hard to edit on wap

Bonnevillian -
    99% + of the 8330's you'll find in a Sprint store will be m's. If all is well you won't notice any real difference. Worst case is having to use a non sprint OS to fix a fluctuating (sp?) Signal meter. I've not seen this problem, but have read about it here on CB. Sprint CS "dude" told me that he hasn't heard of this, but since I had a reasonable request he would see if he could get me a non-m version he would look into it and get back to me. Of course I never heard back from him so he was probably blowing smoke...

08-18-09 11:46 PM
    I know I love my Curve and it works really well it is a rock solid device and not a problem out of it. Yes I have my eyes fixed on the Tour and have had them fixed for awhile now but considering it just came out there is still a few issues with it I am going to wait a bit and see what else comes out. The extra memory would be nice but I have everything I need on the Curve WiFi would be nice but I can still access the internet and all that other stuff with my Curve. So with that said I will wait a bit.
    08-19-09 12:09 AM
    Bonnevillian, to answer your question about buying an 8330 from an outside source, used, that's what I did. And no, it won't affect your contract one bit in terms of extending it. You will have to add a data plan of course. You can even activate it online if you are a Verizon customer, through their website. The system will know it is a BB and make you add an email/data plan on to your plan.

A used Curve in good condition will run you $150+ but you won't be locked into a contract, and you save your upgrade.

08-19-09 12:18 AM
    With sprint your contract will only renew if you "upgrade" your phone meaning you use the 150 off. I would not buy the tour just yet I love my 8330 and I always here complaints with the tour my rule of thumb is not to get a phone until its at least 6mos old and less people report problems let everyone else be the testers. If you read the forums buying a tour it touch and go you are either really happy or really pissed because of its hardware and software issues. Stick with the 8330 its an awesome phone with amazing capabilities I have never had a problem.

08-19-09 12:19 AM
    I was looking at Tour, but held off, thinking about waiting for Atlas, even though I could use Tour's power.

But my Curve is still plugging along sweetly, so I may just get a new faceplate and keyboard and keep rocking it for a while.

No regrets, best mobile I've ever used to date.

08-19-09 01:41 AM
    Yes, I hope the Atlas comes to Verizon as well. I have weak EVDO and 1X at home, so wifi would be a big plus.

I'm also going to check out the Storm 2/Odin.

I agree 100% that the 8330 is just too good. It makes upgrading to another device harder.

08-19-09 01:58 AM
    I started with the Storm 1 and got rid of it in 2 weeks. Then picked up my loyal Curve and have been loving it ever since. I think if I had the choice, I may switch to the Tour, but only due to all the upgrades. I only played with it for about 5 mins at a Verizon kiosk, but it seemed like a big upgrade. Granted, there were no 3rd party apps or anything to slow it down either! The only issue I had was the recessed trackball. It wasn't so much a problem, rather something different that I needed to get used to.

Sooo.. I guess I would take a Tour, but can I still have my 30 day gaurantee from VZW? lol Just to be sure
    08-19-09 07:42 AM
    I think you might as well go try the tour out! Worse case is you won't like it so turn it in and get a curve.
    08-19-09 07:48 AM
    Give the Tour a shot, if you don't like it, you have the trusty Curve to fall back on...
    08-19-09 07:57 AM
    OMG SD! Stop following me!!
    You Stalker You!
    08-19-09 07:58 AM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD