i purchased a personal blackberry and plugged it into my work computer after a week or so to charge it. desktop software asked if i wanted to switch to the new device so i hit ok. my work requires a password to be set and now the restriction is on my personal blackberry. two questions: 1) what else would've changed (i don't want my personal info being stored on a work server) and 2) how can i remove the requirement of a password? thanks!!
    08-17-08 12:20 PM
    It sounds like the IT Policy for your work BlackBerry was pushed to your personal BlackBerry when you connected it to the Enterprise via the Desktop Manager. Here is a procedure that will help you remove it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    If you plug your personal device into the Enterprise again, the same thing will happen again, and your IT security people may become interested.

If you didn't activate your personal phone on the Enterprise, your personal information may not be on the work servers. I'm not sure. To be on the safe side, you should assume your IT admins can see everything you type and every call you make, until you remove the policy.
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    08-17-08 12:33 PM
    thanks for the reply. i upgraded to 4.5 (.52 version) and downloaded the IT policy per the attached link. did a wipe and reinstall but i still have a red padlock by the password (so i have to use a pw everytime the phone is locked). is this part of the "default" policy per the link provided? any other ideas on how to remove it?

I have att and the company uses tmobile. looks like all info is still with att, anywhere else you can point me to to make sure the password is the only thing impacted (eg no info is going back to enterprise server?) thanks!
    08-18-08 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD