The DM won't backup. It starts to backup then stops and says there's an error backing up databases. I'm using DM4.7
    06-19-09 10:49 AM
    have you tried to downgrade the DM to 4.6 again to see if that helps? Some people are having issues with 4.7. I myself now can't back up when I was able to using 4.7 but have been too lazy to downgrade as of yet but that seems to solve the problems for most. Exactly which error is it getting halted at?
    06-19-09 10:56 AM
    have you tried to downgrade the DM to 4.6 again to see if that helps? Some people are having issues with 4.7. I myself now can't back up when I was able to using 4.7 but have been too lazy to downgrade as of yet but that seems to solve the problems for most. Exactly which error is it getting halted at?

I guess I'll try downgrading, and it get halted at TLS.
    06-19-09 11:07 AM
    I don't think downgrading your software is the answer.

Backup will fail if the data is corrupt. When it fails, it displays the name of the database that caused the failure.

The majority of the time, it is Content Cache that is corrupt. Standing advice:

Browser / Options / Cache Operations / Content Cache : Clear

Try it again, if it still fails, note the database and use Advanced Restore to purge it from the BlackBerry.

If you have a recient backup, you can use that to recover the data purged in the last step.
    06-19-09 11:46 AM
    I don't think downgrading your software is the answer.

Backup will fail if the data is corrupt. When it fails, it displays the name of the database that caused the failure.

The majority of the time, it is Content Cache that is corrupt. Standing advice:

Try it again, if it still fails, note the database and use Advanced Restore to purge it from the BlackBerry.

If you have a recient backup, you can use that to recover the data purged in the last step.
    I don't see how I find the database of where it fails.
    06-20-09 01:36 AM
    I still don't know what to do!
    06-21-09 11:41 PM
    I still don't know what to do!
    Have you tried this?
    Go to the browser on your BB and clear the cache.
    06-21-09 11:43 PM
    Also, when you do a backup, DM displays the progress of the backup and displays the database that is currently being backed up. Try to see what database is being backed up when you get the error.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 11:50 PM
    So are you you talking about where the progress bar stops, and I get the error message? If thats the case, it stops at TLS options.
    06-22-09 10:32 AM
    Clear cache as already stated and retry. If that doesn't work, try deleting any browser bookmarks you have stored and retry again. Another CB user reported the latter working for the same issue. Easy enough to do that it may warrant a try.
    06-22-09 10:49 AM
    So are you you talking about where the progress bar stops, and I get the error message? If thats the case, it stops at TLS options.
    TLS options

TLS Default:
    Specify the type of TLS or SSL connection that your browser uses for HTTP connections. To use a direct TLS or SSL connection, change this field to Handheld. To use Triple DES and TLS or SSL, change this field to Proxy.
    If you are not part of a corporate BES configuration, the default Handheld will apply.

Open Advanced Restore. On the right are the files current Device Database files. Scroll down to TLS Options, highlight it and press the Clear button. That will erase any corrupt data and restore you back to the default.

Try the backup again, it should work now.
    06-22-09 11:01 AM
    It worked, thanx alot people!
    06-22-09 11:12 AM
    I am having a similar issue. My backup is failing at DocsToGoCommonPrefs. I have gone into Advanced, but am unable to select this database. It is grayed out. I was using 4.7 and downgraded at lunch to 4.6 with still the same problem. I watch the backup and as it gets to the Docs file, it stalls and pops up an Unknown Error message.

Tried clearing browser cache and also backing up database by database. Nothing works. When doing database by database, I got the docs to work, but it wouldn't work on others.

Any help?
    Last edited by jbonnot03; 06-22-09 at 02:21 PM. Reason: More info
    06-22-09 01:38 PM
    Got a successful backup.

Went into Advanced.
    Selected all databases and clicked the arrow to transfer to the computer.
    When it would hit a bad database, I would unselect it.
    I ended up deselecting Bluetooth Options, Keystore Options, Keystore Manager, and Location based services.

I finally got a successful backup. Whew. I don't know if all of this is caused by BES or what.
    06-23-09 12:46 PM
    TLS options

If you are not part of a corporate BES configuration, the default Handheld will apply.

Open Advanced Restore. On the right are the files current Device Database files. Scroll down to TLS Options, highlight it and press the Clear button. That will erase any corrupt data and restore you back to the default.

Try the backup again, it should work now.
    thank you! helped me out as well
    06-23-09 03:19 PM
    can someone please help me?!!! i want to do a backup but more importantly because i have a court case coming up and really want to save all of my text messages and call logs if possible. the thing is when i try to back it up, my phone beeps and the DM goes gray. (i was able to back it up a year ago without any problems when i had windows xp, now i have windows 7 and wondering if this is the reason why i'm having problems??)

but seen as it has now been a year since i last backed up, i really need all the vital information as i can save including address book, calendar info, etc... the things is i've read so many forums and have done "clearing out the browser cache" etc... and tried to manually backup each database (i.e. address book, messages, etc) individually... it worked for two but then crashed when i tried to backup sms messages. and now it won't let me do ANY databases. it keeps going gray. and if i attempt to do any backups, it will open up "transfer in progress" box but nothing happens and my phone beeps to tell me that it's been disconnected from my laptop. help??? i really need this done as soon as possible and have no idea what else to try! i've tried uninstalling DM and reinstalling the program. i've tried updating the software (i now have the latest from the blackberry website). i've done the battery take out/in. i've tried to clear out another database (i.e broswer bookmarks) but it crashed and went to gray again... i honestly do not know what else to try...

and if it's true that if the database is corrupted, and that one should be cleared and everything else will be fine, then i'm screwed... cuz the thing i need most, sms message is not allowing me to be backed up when i try to do it individually.

also, does anyone know where these backups are saved when i do it indiviually cuz i cannot find any .idp files... and am wondering if it even backed up when i was able to do the address book.

HELP!!! pleeeeease!!!!!
    04-24-10 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD