total noob, so please forgive if this is a silly question, but I'm about to install my new 4GB microSD, and before I remove the battery, I want to be assured that doing so will not result in memory loss - all my data is stored on the device's memory (I don't have anything saved to a SIM card or anything, ...i don't think.)

just a few emails/messages, some photos & ringtones, but most importantly my contact list. I've done a "Backup and Restore", so I'm pretty sure I've got everything backed up to my desktop should data loss occur, but I'd rather not have to deal with it at all, y'know?

please advise. thank you!
    Last edited by boogieg; 09-04-07 at 06:16 PM.
    09-04-07 06:09 PM
    I may be a noob to but I don't think taking out the battery would result in memory loss.
    I've taken out my battery and no loss of any sort.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-07 06:21 PM
    Hi boogieg:
    Congrats on the 4G card. I'm gonna pick one up for my 8830 very soon.

In answer to your question, no, battery pulls do not cause any data loss. But you did a good thing by backing up your data anyway. When are you gonna install the 4G card???
    09-04-07 06:22 PM
    ...RIGHT NOW!

You guys rock. thanks so much for the speedy responses!!

cheers,
    G
    09-04-07 06:26 PM
    Ha! Let me know how it works out. I've heard rumors of compatibility issues with a 4GB card. But can't imagine why they'd be true...
    09-04-07 06:29 PM
    Dang! Stupid protective shell. Bought one of these ebay and now I can't get it off for the life of me!!!

anyone have any ideas that don't involve broken nails or butter knives?

09-04-07 06:35 PM
    No idea G. But I know I'd be going crazy if I were in you shoes. Cool new technology that you can't use because of the stupid case...CRAZY I tell ya! I have a similar case for my 8830, but one corner doesn't clamp shut. I just start on that corner and it pops right off!
    09-04-07 08:01 PM
    Removing the battery will increase free space because it shuts down all running programs. As far as the 4 GB card, I have had my Curve since the middle of July and got the card for around $60 shipped less than a week after getting the Curve. I have the SanDisk HDSC version and have no problems, just the small lag accessing files on the card but that is to be expected getting files from the card. I have about 10 30 sec ringtones, 300 full mp3s, and two full movies that are about 2 hours long each and there is still room on the card. Who needs an ipod when you can have a BB that does just about everything. (Wish my 8300 had video camera, GPS, WiFi, and still the camera...Not sure I would ditch the Curve for the 8820 with no camera)
    09-05-07 09:59 AM
    Dang! Stupid protective shell. Bought one of these ebay and now I can't get it off for the life of me!!!

anyone have any ideas that don't involve broken nails or butter knives?

LOL

I bought a pink one just like that and had the same problem. I know it feels like your going to break either the case or the phone but hold it close to you, pull the sides away from each other firmly at the top of your curve and it will pop off...none of my nails broke!
    09-08-07 12:22 AM
    Now you would think for the price of a blackberry that they would devise it such a way that removing the back of it wouldn't be like the jaws of life. My best friend has one and she sometimes wants to throw it across the room because she's so annoyed that the cover is so hard to get off!!

Welcome Eyaj, Osupike,boogleg & TreyStyles to the forum!
    Gia
    09-08-07 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD