Posted last week about rapid battery drain, well that slowed a bit... However, yesterday a new thing happened. Phone will only turn on with a battery pull, none of the keys work (keypad, numbers or letters), nor the side buttons. The track ball will move the curser however when you go to push the track ball to open that app, it wont work.,.... I am at a loss..Called Virgin Mobile (Canada) waiting for a Tech to call back. Could be a week without my phone....
    As an aside. I can call the phone and send it a text, its all working ..just not the keypad, or track ball to select....Make sense to anyone??????
    07-13-09 04:21 AM
    There's no water or moisture that got into the phone? It wasn't dropped? Did you install any new programs or themes recently? Do you have any files on the phone or memory card with .rem extension?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 04:26 AM
    Umm was on the phone in the rain the other day (raining pretty heavy..I was outside walking).. However, I would assume the phone is up to that??? So I would say no . Phone was not dropped and no apps on the phone at all... other than those that came on it.. I might add, I took delevery of the phone July 3 2009... So its very new...
    07-13-09 04:32 AM
    Umm was on the phone in the rain the other day (raining pretty heavy..I was outside walking).. However, I would assume the phone is up to that??? So I would say no . Phone was not dropped and no apps on the phone at all... other than those that came on it.. I might add, I took delevery of the phone July 3 2009... So its very new...
    What would make you think the phone was up to getting wet?
    07-13-09 04:39 AM
    Jim, I dont think the phone was getting wet, I was on the pone in the rain, my hair and face were wet..however no direct contact to water for the phone.. When i take the phone from the case the phone goes to the home screen,just cant do anything from there. If it was an water/moisture would it not effect everything? screen, scrolling of track ball? those things work.... I am at a loss.....
    07-13-09 04:42 AM
    Symptoms are classic water/moisture damage.

07-13-09 04:43 AM
    Jim, I dont think the phone was getting wet, I was on the pone in the rain, my hair and face were wet..however no direct contact to water for the phone.. When i take the phone from the case the phone goes to the home screen,just cant do anything from there. If it was an water/moisture would it not effect everything? screen, scrolling of track ball? those things work.... I am at a loss.....
    If your hair and face were wet, there had to be water running on to the phone. Very easy for it to get in any opening, they are far from water proof.
    07-13-09 04:45 AM
    Wow..water moisture damage... It was raining ..not a monsoon... These phones cant handle that? My pearl..I never had that issue... Assuming it is water damage... now what? The phone is dead? It cant be fixed? My cheap LG Rumour is far my sturdy than the Curve if I can use it in inclimate weather !!!!!!!
    07-13-09 04:51 AM
    It may be fried, but you have to take the battery out and put both the BB and the battery in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice for a day or two to absorb the water/moisture from your phone.

07-13-09 04:54 AM
    Wow..water moisture damage... It was raining ..not a monsoon... These phones cant handle that? My pearl..I never had that issue... Assuming it is water damage... now what? The phone is dead? It cant be fixed? My cheap LG Rumour is far my sturdy than the Curve if I can use it in inclimate weather !!!!!!!
    Unless you have insurance you could be SOL, as most normal maintenance plans don't cover water damage. Make sure there are no visual signs of it, like pull the battery and check real good, then bring it to your carrier for service and play dumb.

But I think there are things inside that turn color if they get wet.
    07-13-09 04:55 AM
    It may be fried, but you have to take the battery out and put both the BB and the battery in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice for a day or two to absorb the water/moisture from your phone.

Oh yeah forgot that. A friend in work did this and it actually worked for her.
    07-13-09 04:56 AM
    I have check for water ,,,Pulled the battery, all was dry.. The contacts are fine... I cant believe that the phone could not handle a call in the rain... I have had a number of phones, and a Pearl.. and never had that issue and have used in the rain.. Well looks like i will have to see what they say from Tech ...will keep ya all posted
    07-13-09 05:16 AM
    No phone is made to be used in the rain. To think otherwise, in my opinion, is ridiculous. When it is raining I am very careful of any of my phones to keep them dry and only use when I can get to a dry location (i.e., inside out of the rain). The phones have hidden water/moisture indicators inside. If it is truly water damage then the warranty is void. I find your insistence that the phone should be made to withstand getting rained on to verge on the nonsensical.
    07-13-09 05:56 AM
    If you open your battery door there are two water indicators on the inside. They look like little white squares. Look closely for them. If they're any shade of pink at all its water damaged. Also check your battery next to the contact plates. Same indicator.

07-13-09 06:00 AM
    I only have on square on the upper right side opposite the flash for the camera.. its white ..The battery opposite the the contact plates shows a white strip with red (pinkish) X's..Did the battery get wet?? All other tags in the phone are white......

Just checked my Bosses phone his battery shows a white lable with a white label with a red/pinkish line....
    Last edited by beany68; 07-13-09 at 06:53 AM. Reason: more for clarity
    07-13-09 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD