Can older blackberry devices be upgraded with the newest operating systems?

Sorry if this question is ignorant. I don't own a blackberry device yet....and I'm still learning the ropes...
    05-08-08 07:53 PM
    No....But if you want a Brickberry, then go ahead.
    05-08-08 08:22 PM
    I think hes just asking if you can upgrade the OS on the device. Am I correct?
    05-08-08 09:18 PM
    where will you or anyone for that matter get an OS for the 9000?
    Just about everyone is caught up in this frenzy over this OS or that OS, dealing with Beta OS are not for the faint of heart. There is a Reason why they are called Beta.
    05-08-08 09:27 PM
    Or he was simply asking what the requirements are for it to work. maybe he see's all these other threads with people messing with beta OS's on their curves. there wasn't much mention if the new 8330 would be able to support such a thing, maybe memory.... who knows.... I agree with it's food for the forum I guess. newer stuff always catches peoples eyes.
    05-08-08 09:36 PM
    Just curious why you'd call yourself Kingblackberry and not own one?
    05-08-08 10:00 PM
    Or he was simply asking what the requirements are for it to work. maybe he see's all these other threads with people messing with beta OS's on their curves. there wasn't much mention if the new 8330 would be able to support such a thing, maybe memory.... who knows.... I agree with it's food for the forum I guess. newer stuff always catches peoples eyes.
    For the sake of crying out loud, What's wrong with everyone and this OS deal. The BB 9000 phone is still in R&D, the OS is suppose to be v4.6. Apart from Kevin, nobody else have one. Where will he get v4.6 OS, aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?
    05-08-08 10:06 PM
    For the sake of crying out loud, What's wrong with everyone and this OS deal. The BB 9000 phone is still in R&D, the OS is suppose to be v4.6. Apart from Kevin, nobody else have one. Where will he get v4.6 OS, aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?
    hear... hear.

Before we even start on 4.6, we better focus on when are we actually gonna get the 4.5?
    05-08-08 10:17 PM
    hear... hear.

Before we even start on 4.6, we better focus on when are we actually gonna get the 4.5?
    By the looks of things never lol
    05-08-08 10:22 PM
    Didn't realize this was such a touchy topic for some people....all I'm wondering is if the Curve's specs will meet the requirements for running the 9000 os....which ever version that may be....I have a sprint curve on the way..and I'm just thinking of possible upgrades in the future....
    05-09-08 12:14 AM
    Didn't realize this was such a touchy topic for some people....all I'm wondering is if the Curve's specs will meet the requirements for running the 9000 os....which ever version that may be....I have a sprint curve on the way..and I'm just thinking of possible upgrades in the future....
    OS is a touchy subject with some. People are just tired of waiting for the 4.5 to be official.
    05-09-08 12:18 AM
    As to the OPs original question, Yes, you are able to update your OS, although it is VERY device specific, ie: any 8310 can ONLY use an OS designed for an 8310, and so on.

If RIM develops the 4.6 for older blackberries, i would think that it would be only for 81/83/88 series and up, although those devices are, for the most part, still at OS 4.2 at this point, and the 4.5 update is still in beta. So, IF, the 4.6 is going to make its way onto the 81/83/88, its not going to be for a LOOOOOONG time.
    05-09-08 12:31 AM
    4.6 WON�T be available in all 8xxx devices - it�s exclusive for the "nextgen" series 9xxx. The "older" 8xxx devices don�t match the 4.6 requirements, especially for memory and CPU.

4.5.x.x will be the highest firmware that�ll be available for all 8xxx devices.
    05-09-08 03:39 AM
    Getting ahead of ourselves again
    05-09-08 05:51 AM
    4.6 WON�T be available in all 8xxx devices - it�s exclusive for the "nextgen" series 9xxx. The "older" 8xxx devices don�t match the 4.6 requirements, especially for memory and CPU.

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
    05-09-08 12:10 PM

Source? Please share.
    05-09-08 12:59 PM
    Source? Please share.

Seriously! Can't just throw "facts" like that around, with no sources. If you read my post, i made some pretty good points, while citing the author... ME.
    05-09-08 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD