Sandisk microSD 8GB micro SDHC memory card t-flash NEW - eBay (item 180254129984 end time Jun-15-08 17:24:31 PDT)

I've been looking around, and I recently bought a 4GB microSD for my Curve. iI got a killer deal on it, and the seller is located in Australia, although, the package came from Hong Kong in the exact timeframe stated in the auction! It was also stated in the auction that the card would work specifically in the 8310 Curve, so I went for it!

Unfortunately, that seller does not carry anything over 4GB! I would like to get an 8GB one, and there seem to be a TON of these cards on ebay, and many auctions, such as the one I listed above, state, in BOLD and as a warning message, that "90% of PDA's will NOT be compatible with this card", as it is an SHDC card!??

However, the seller's auction (my 4GB card) mentioned it was an SDHC card, and "100% compatible" with a bunch of PDA's he listed, and like I said, the Curve 8310 was the second one mentioned!

So, maybe sellers with auctions, such as the above listed one, are simply uninformed, as it pro-claimed that it was incompatible with 90% of PDA's, and warned that it was BECAUSE it was an SDHC card!?

Are we in the 10%-ile with our Curve's?

Thanks for any input!
    06-15-08 06:53 PM
    The Curve can and will recognize an 8GB SDHC, But fair warning, If your not using a 4.5 OS beta you will only see and be able to use 4GB of it.

Meanwhile, Im using that exact same card in my 4.5 (.42) beta curve and there is no problems whatsoever!
    06-15-08 08:12 PM
    I also am running 4.5.0.42, and both before and after, there are no issues with ANY part of my apps, etc. I only have a 4GB, though, so as far as that's concerned, I won't be able to see the difference.

You said it will "recognize" it. Will the Curve and the Bold just be alright with the 8GB and 16GB SDHC cards?? I mean, it fit perfectly under the battery. The Bold will have it on the side. Are there ANY NON-SDHC 8GB or 16GB SD cards that are somehow "better"?? Does that even exist??
    06-15-08 09:39 PM
    I'm not running the 4.5 but I put in a buddy's 8g sdhc with 6.5g of media, it worked fine.
    It took about 5 minutes to recognize it but once it did it showed all data, used space, free space and total space.
    I'm new to this smart phone tech, maybe it was beginner's luck?

Looking at my OS version right now, v4.2.2.170
    Last edited by JeepinDoug; 06-15-08 at 09:44 PM.
    06-15-08 09:42 PM
    I have two 8GB SDHC cards and both work fine for my 8320. Yes, only about 6GB shows but I have no problems with it and know that once I upgrade my OS, it should recognize the higher capacity.
    06-15-08 10:11 PM
    Alright, that sounds good then! Is there even an 8GB NON-SDHC card???
    06-15-08 11:27 PM
    i know the bold will be able to support 16gb cards. as for the curve, i guess OS 4.5 is needed.
    06-16-08 01:00 AM

Any SD card 4 GB or more are SDHC.
    06-16-08 01:10 AM
    The SDHC is not an issue at all... I do not believe there is an 8GB card that does not have SDHC (meaning High Capacity). This is just a branding slapped on there from SanDisk

As for the compatibility issues, there are numerous threads about microSD cards that people have used on their phone and the results they experienced.

The 8Gb SanDisk SDHC is fully compatible but will only recongnize up to (around) 6GB of the storage space... this was something coded into OS 4.2 that does not allow your device to recognize all of the potential storage space after 6GB or so.

In OS 4.5 Beta (or the official releases) you will not have any problems AT ALL... fully compatible and supported. (It even supports the unreleased 16GB as well... and I think the Bold supports up to 32GB or something)
    06-16-08 07:26 AM
    The Verizon 8330 Curve comes with OS Version 4.3. This OS is the 4.5 from other carriers. This being said - an 8GB SDHC (micro) will work in the Verizon 8330 with no added work. Just put it in.

Keep on Crackin'
    06-16-08 08:31 AM
    If the photo is accurate, I'm using the exact same card - and I wound up paying about $60 for it just 3 weeks ago!!! Great deal you got there.

Anyway - I'm using OS 4.5.0.42 on an 8300, and the OS see 7.6GB Total Space. I've recorded videos, moved photos there, etc. All works just fine, even with the beta OS.
    06-16-08 08:39 AM
    The Verizon 8330 Curve comes with OS Version 4.3. This OS is the 4.5 from other carriers. This being said - an 8GB SDHC (micro) will work in the Verizon 8330 with no added work. Just put it in.

Keep on Crackin'
    THANK YOU!!!! I was about to ask that.

(YES) Does a little dance
    06-16-08 11:30 AM
    Actually, any SD card in excess of 2GB is usually rated as HC. Most older devices that use SD cards cannot read SDHC cards, so it's not just a name branded by Toshiba and SanDisk.
    06-16-08 12:04 PM
    Thanks everyone!! Yea, well, no problem then...I have OS 4.5 now and it's all good. Will any silly 4GB limit be coded into the final version of 4.5??? Since the Bold will come with 4.6?? Thanks again everyone!
    06-16-08 03:57 PM
    I actually just put an 8GB SDHC card into an 8310 running OS 4.2.2.170(straight outta the box) and the device recognized all 8GBs.

I was wondering if the problem arised when connecting the device to the computer or what???
    06-22-08 03:44 PM
    Fellow Southern Californian, thanks for the heads-up!

Alright, so it sounds like I'll be good to go with an 8GB, or maybe 16GB??

Now that's another question worthy of asking. How do you even come close to filling up an 8GB, or even a 16GB memory expansion card? I'd have to shoot plenty of hi-res pics, and videos. From what a friend told me who has had his Blackberry for over a year(!), applications can only be installed in the Device memory.

Is that really true??
    06-23-08 03:41 AM
    If you have 4.5 it will work fine. I have an 8gig in mine; no problems.
    06-23-08 03:54 AM
    Fellow Southern Californian, thanks for the heads-up!

Alright, so it sounds like I'll be good to go with an 8GB, or maybe 16GB??

Now that's another question worthy of asking. How do you even come close to filling up an 8GB, or even a 16GB memory expansion card? I'd have to shoot plenty of hi-res pics, and videos. From what a friend told me who has had his Blackberry for over a year(!), applications can only be installed in the Device memory.

Is that really true??
    As of now, OS 4.5 will only allow you to use up to 8GB, so buying a 16GB card would be a waste. That is, unless you plan on upgrading to the Bold, which will allow higher capacity cards.

As to filling an 8GB card, I have over 30GB of music on my PC, so I could easily fill it up, and that's not counting pics or videos. But I don't really find that necessary and I'm satisfied with a 2GB card for now.

And yes, apps are stored only on device memory.
    06-23-08 04:20 AM
    Like I said, I tested an 8GB microSDHC in the 8310 where I work at Radioshack and it read the complete capacity with OS 4.2.2.170.

I also have a 4GB in an 8310 that I have transfered files and synced with desktop manager, and used mass storage mode with the full capacity.

For the longest time I believed that pre 8330 Curves would not support over 2GB, but I have experienced no problems... Yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 02:16 AM
    Thanks guys! Well, I'm getting one 8GB for the Bold, on top of the 4GB for my Curve. That should do the trick. Of course, those of us on AT&T will have that extra one sitting around for a while if you believe this. Arghh!
    06-25-08 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD