When I have the WiFi option turned on and I am connected to a wireless network (i.e. my home network) - are my calls also going across the WiFi as well, or am only utilizing the WiFi when I am browsing the Internet with my Blackberry? If my calls are indeed going across the WiFi, am I being charged minutes or are my calls essentially free because they are being made through the Internet? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
    10-13-08 04:15 PM
    do you have a wifi modem through TMO and paying for the service? is so, then you are using UMA (Wifi) if not, you are only using WiFi for internet. Does any one concur?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-08 04:23 PM
    That is correct.

When UMA is active, your voice and data will use the Wifi connection instead of the carrier network.

This is great when you have a low signal level, it ensures a high quality of service.

Unless you have subscribed to the Hotspot service, there will be no difference in the way you are billed for that service. Your voice call will be counted in your package, the same applies to data.

Marketing UMA is a challenge, both T-Mobile and Rogers, offer unlimited voice calling with UMA. T-Mobile includes data, but Rogers still charges it to the data totals.

Another factor, if you travel internationally, T-Mobile treats UMA as local. Rogers does not, they limit the service and you still pay the international roaming charges in addition to the international long distance rates.
    10-13-08 04:47 PM
    Tmobile with uma service is friggin awesome. Seriously the wifi blackberrys on tmobile
    with the @home uma service is tough combo to beat.I love being able to browse the web and bbm or talk on phone at same time.

10-13-08 05:23 PM
    Ok, so I'm a T-Mobile customer who has wifi at home, but it's not through T-Mobile.

So it DOES enhance my signal when used as UMA? But it doesn't give me "free" minutes, correct?
    10-13-08 05:40 PM
    Ok, so I'm a T-Mobile customer who has wifi at home, but it's not through T-Mobile.

So it DOES enhance my signal when used as UMA? But it doesn't give me "free" minutes, correct?
    Exactly. Unless you pay for the @home service, the wifi minutes are counted just like regular minutes. Exception is if you are out of the country. In that case the minutes are still counted, but they are local minutes, not out of country minutes.
    10-13-08 05:59 PM
    Tmobile with uma service is friggin awesome. Seriously the wifi blackberrys on tmobile
    with the @home uma service is tough combo to beat.I love being able to browse the web and bbm or talk on phone at same time.

DITTO, I couldn't agree more! No more counting minutes or waiting until 9pm for the free minutes to kick in. I can save those minutes for when I am at work or elsewhere during the day if a wifi area isn't available!
    10-14-08 02:38 PM
    do you have a wifi modem through TMO and paying for the service? is so, then you are using UMA (Wifi) if not, you are only using WiFi for internet. Does any one concur?

You will be using UMA even without TMO@Home, but usage is charged to your minutes.

Exactly. Unless you pay for the @home service, the wifi minutes are counted just like regular minutes. Exception is if you are out of the country. In that case the minutes are still counted, but they are local minutes, not out of country minutes.
    Wifi being UMA minutes. Wifi browsing is part of the data plan.

I have TMO, but do not have the @Home service, nor a TMO router. I surf using Wifi and it's charged against my data plan. I make calls using UMA, and they are charge against my minutes. I don't know this for a fact, because I have scrutinized my bill, or recorded the time when I make a UMA call. Guess I'll have to try this sometime.

As an added twist, the other day I was browsing, and it showed UMA in the browser rather than Wifi. I assume this was because I was using the internet browser instead of the hotspot browser.
    10-14-08 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD