Hello everyone. I have a curve 8320 with Tmobile and I keep getting "call failed" when I'm in the uma mode and trying to make a phone call. After the "call failed" comes out, I go back to the edge mode. I never lose wifi connection when I'm surfing the web. It only happens when I try to make a phone call. This is very frustrating since I always get this "call failed" sign whenever I try to make a call at home.

Any ideas? Is something wrong with my curve? I tried the battery pull technique already. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 10:49 PM
    I was told by T-Mobile that UMA mode is not fast enough to handle phone calls. This is why T-Mobile offers their hot spots service which will produce the EDGE mode (the fastest signal available) to handle voice calls. Unfortunately, it costs extra to use this service. At the time, I couldn't justify the extra cost as a way around using up the minutes available in my plan, so I didn't opt for it. However, if you do a lot of talking and are always in a hot spot, it might be worth it to include this service instead of paying for more minutes in a more expensive plan otherwise, don't even bother.
    06-25-08 12:12 AM
    if i remember correctly, it's 10$ a month on T-mobile. but i could be wrong.
    06-25-08 12:15 AM
    I make calls through uma all the time. I don't have hotspot service though..

06-25-08 01:29 AM
    I make calls through uma all the time. I don't have hotspot service though..

How's the call quality for you in uma mode? Do u get any dropped calls? I thought that 8320s go into uma mode whenever your near a wireless network and it was supposed to help u get better phone calls. I'm experiencing it the other way around . I get a lot of call failures in uma mode.
    06-25-08 01:59 AM
    Hey guys. With the Curve and UMA, you don't NEED the 10.00 feature (it provided unlimited Wi-Fi calling if you have it), otherwise just pulls from your minutes. Few things that could cause your problem. 1. You have the 10.00 feature and do not have an E911 address. T-Mobiles billing system and the FCC say you have to have an E911 address. This is NOT an issue if you do not have the 10.00 unlimited Wi-Fi. 2. In my experiences with the Curve, and while talking to customers on the phone (yes,....... I am a T-Mobile rep), it seems to have a problem with the call hand off from the UMA to the GSM. Is it only call failed when you start a call or does it suddenly drop mid call and give the error? Also, go to Menu>>Manage Connections>>Set up Wi-Fi Network>>Scan and select a Wi-Fi network and make sure you select "Prioritize Wi-Fi Profiles". Oh, and sorry for long post.
    06-25-08 04:17 AM
    Hey guys. With the Curve and UMA, you don't NEED the 10.00 feature (it provided unlimited Wi-Fi calling if you have it), otherwise just pulls from your minutes. Few things that could cause your problem. 1. You have the 10.00 feature and do not have an E911 address. T-Mobiles billing system and the FCC say you have to have an E911 address. This is NOT an issue if you do not have the 10.00 unlimited Wi-Fi. 2. In my experiences with the Curve, and while talking to customers on the phone (yes,....... I am a T-Mobile rep), it seems to have a problem with the call hand off from the UMA to the GSM. Is it only call failed when you start a call or does it suddenly drop mid call and give the error? Also, go to Menu>>Manage Connections>>Set up Wi-Fi Network>>Scan and select a Wi-Fi network and make sure you select "Prioritize Wi-Fi Profiles". Oh, and sorry for long post.
    So if you don't have hotspots, and you don't have a data plan, will you still be able to do UMA calls? I know i can use wi-fi for free ( no data etc) when i'm at home picking up a connection off my wireless router, but i haven't figured out if UMA charges.
    06-25-08 04:41 AM
    Yep, you need no data plan to do the UMA calling.
    06-25-08 03:26 PM
    Hey, I have the data plan without the 10.00 feature. Everything is fine in the UMA mode (full bars) except for when I make a phone call. I get the "call failed" sign as soon as I start a call.
    BTW, I already selected the "Prioritize Wi-Fi Profiles" and did the usual battery pull. This is frustrating. Tmobile is telling me to call my isp and my isp is telling me to call Tmobile. It seems like noone knows what to do .
    06-25-08 10:32 PM
    Unless your ISP is a company called Clearwire, I doubt it is your ISP. FCC says that ISP's can not "bottle neck" their internet to prevent VoIP (if I recall correctly). Do you know if they have put you in touch with the PDA dept.? The only other thing I can think of is if you have an old Wi-Fi router or some weird setting in your router.
    06-25-08 10:48 PM
    Hmm, this is an interesting problem. I have no problems at all with UMA itself, just the way T Mobile is billing me. They take my UMA minutes from my regular minutes, even though I have H@H. lol

Anyways, it might be an issue with your router. Have you tried testing UMA on someone elses WiFi connection?
    06-25-08 10:48 PM
    I have a linksys g router. I wouldn't say its old. I get full UMA connection until I start a phone call. Then it drops my call, goes to gsm mode then to edge mode. Finally it gets back to UMA mode.
    Anyways I'm going to starbucks near my house to test the UMA calling. I'll post asap about the results. I sure hope nothing is wrong with my curve.

06-25-08 11:00 PM
    I have a linksys g router. I wouldn't say its old. I get full UMA connection until I start a phone call. Then it drops my call, goes to gsm mode then to edge mode. Finally it gets back to UMA mode.
    Anyways I'm going to starbucks near my house to test the UMA calling. I'll post asap about the results. I sure hope nothing is wrong with my curve.

Good luck! If the phone does drop the call at Starbucks, you should take it to a TMo store tomorrow. They are obligated to fix or replace the phone if it isn't working properly.
    06-25-08 11:09 PM
    i believe the problem is when it switches in and out of uma mode the call drops i always have the same problem with mine even if am standing right next to my router i believe t-mo just havent mastered this function yet maybe the new wi-fi phones might be better at it.
    06-25-08 11:13 PM
    Hello everyone. I have a curve 8320 with Tmobile and I keep getting "call failed" when I'm in the uma mode and trying to make a phone call. After the "call failed" comes out, I go back to the edge mode. I never lose wifi connection when I'm surfing the web. It only happens when I try to make a phone call. This is very frustrating since I always get this "call failed" sign whenever I try to make a call at home.

Any ideas? Is something wrong with my curve? I tried the battery pull technique already. Thanks in advance.

That happens to me too. If you quick dial you could get that problem. Try going through the phone book instead of quick dial and it works most of the times. I am pretty far away from my router (share it with my neighbors ) yet I make calls thru UMA most of the times only because I'm always connected....not that it gives me a special advantage considering I havent signed up for the hotspot@home service. 2 out of 10 calls are dropped.
    06-25-08 11:16 PM
    i believe the problem is when it switches in and out of uma mode the call drops i always have the same problem with mine even if am standing right next to my router i believe t-mo just havent mastered this function yet maybe the new wi-fi phones might be better at it.
    I don't think this is the problem. The OP said when they stand in UMA and try to make a call it doesn't even connect.
    06-25-08 11:18 PM
    I think I finally got it fixed. I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyways, I went to Starbuck's and the same exact thing happened to me. So, I came home and called Tmobile and this time, the representative added a e911 address or something and that somehow fixed it. I can now make calls. Amazing. Hope it doesn't revert back to not working. Anyways, I'm happy now!
    06-26-08 12:27 AM
    Ya, that's so the emergency services can find you when something happens cause 911 doesn't get your location. Let us know if it doesn't stays fixed!
    06-26-08 04:22 AM
    Now I'm worried. I thought HS@home was included wiith the unlimited data plan. I'm getting set up with wifi this weekend for my computer. Will I be able to take advantage if the free call time with my TMO 8320 - or will I run into the dropped call problem? I live in the country so I don't have some options. -not trying to hijack, thought this is related.

06-26-08 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD