I am tryin gto figure out how this WiFi thing works. I finally hooked up my phone to use the unlimited home calling feature, but I want to make sure it is working properly before I go chatting away. Am I supposed to see "UMA" instead of "EDGE" to know that I am now on WiFi??? My phone displays the home network next to T-Mobile but it never switches over to say UMA. Anyone know about this... could it just be a theme setting or something???
    02-26-08 07:34 PM
    I seen that too,changing from edge to uma.

Not sure about it.
    02-26-08 08:55 PM
    anyone know how to make the phone use an active wifi connection??? anyone...or do i really have to resort to calling the idiots at t-mobile and asking for help which im sure will lead to nowhere
    02-27-08 07:59 AM
    On a theme that does not support the UMA add on you might see the word UMA and the wifi logo on top of each other. In order to make calls via wifi you have to see the words UMA instead of Edge. I would do a battery pull and then try to connect to your router again.
    02-27-08 09:02 AM
    Also, hit "manage connections", then "mobile network preferences", make sure your "Connection Preference" is set to "WiFi Preferred". When I am traveling, and you could do this at home, turn off your mobile network and leave only wifi on. It can take a couple minutes, but it should make the connection. Also, under "manage connections", "Wifi Options", hit your app key (to the left of the pearl), and go to "wifi diagnostics". Scroll down and you can see any issues the phone may be having trying to establish the UMA connection to T-Mobile. Oh, and for a definite answer to the first question, yes, your phone MUST display UMA to make calls over wifi. Good luck! PM me if you need any other help.
    02-27-08 09:19 AM
    Yes, you must set it to wifi preferred or else you will be paying for airtime.
    02-27-08 04:53 PM
    anyone know how to make the phone use an active wifi connection??? anyone...or do i really have to resort to calling the idiots at t-mobile and asking for help which im sure will lead to nowhere
    I do it all the time Ms Jones!!! Like SLV says make sure you select wifi preferred.

btw, Good friend at work has same name as you!!!

cheers
    02-27-08 07:18 PM
    I was on the phone for like an hour with T-Mobile today trying to figure out why I drop calls when I'm at home using my wireless network and the conclusion was that my Curve was configured for "Wi-Fi Preferred" under connection preference. Since I don't subscribe the Hotspot@home service TMo offers, it would try to use the UMA but go back to the EDGE network and thus drop my call. I changed configuration to "Mobile Network Preferred" option and presto, no more dropped calls.

So you have to subscribe the Hotspot@home service to use the Wi-fi feature. Otherwise you'll be using your minutes.
    02-27-08 09:22 PM
    wrong!!!!!!!!!!

I have no plan at all!!! of any kind.

I use wifi daily since I bought the phone. Precisely why I bought this phone.

No bill for me!!!

I was on the phone for like an hour with T-Mobile today trying to figure out why I drop calls when I'm at home using my wireless network and the conclusion was that my Curve was configured for "Wi-Fi Preferred" under connection preference. Since I don't subscribe the Hotspot@home service TMo offers, it would try to use the UMA but go back to the EDGE network and thus drop my call. I changed configuration to "Mobile Network Preferred" option and presto, no more dropped calls.

So you have to subscribe the Hotspot@home service to use the Wi-fi feature. Otherwise you'll be using your minutes.
    02-27-08 10:02 PM
    I use wi-fi too, but not for making calls, I use it to browse. If I switch my connection preference to "wi-fi preferred," I have drop call issues. And when it was in UMA mode, it would still use my minutes. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, because honestly, I was dealing with T-Mobile techs and every time I got a different reason of why it was dropping calls. The last tech just made more sense and my phone is working now....with the exception of being able to receive picture messages! Today will be round 8 trying to get everything working on my Curve. I love my Curve and if I pay for a phone and service, I want everything to work.
    02-28-08 10:08 AM
    I have a Blackberry Pearl 8120 through Cincinnati Bell and I have the UMA feature on my account. Like many of you, I never see "UMA" at the top-right corner of my phone, even though my connection preference is set to "Wi-Fi Preferred". I can tell that the phone is connected to my Wi-Fi network because it shows my SSID next to "Cincinnati Bell" and because the Wi-Fi icon is lit up, but it still shows me EDGE in the top-right corner.

I called Cincinnati Bell and this is what they told me:
    If the EDGE signal is better than the UMA signal, you will still see EDGE even if your connection preference says "Wi-Fi Preferred". My EDGE signal had 5-bars. I checked the UMA signal by switching the connection preference to "Wi-Fi Only" and it showed me the antenna with 3 waves coming out of each side.

Have any of you ever heard this before?
    03-20-08 03:16 PM
    so, my phone drops calls using uma, and i do pay for the hotspot@home service. supposedly, if you have a bad uma/wifi signal, it should seemslessly switch to edge and not drop the call, but that is not the case. if i walk around the house, it will drop the call. i do have the settings set to 'wifi preferred'. any suggestions?
    03-28-08 05:48 PM
    I never have a dropped call problem when it switches to edge. You should see UMA.
    03-28-08 06:08 PM
    i do see uma...i dont know if its dropping b/c its switching to edge or just dropping to drop!?
    03-28-08 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD