Is this possible for the curve (wi-fi version of course) or do they block it? If it's blocked -- is there a fix or patch available?
    04-07-08 03:48 PM
    I've seen several other threads about this. Do a search for voip and I think you will find some info.
    04-07-08 04:05 PM
    Sorry -- there is some good info if I had done a search first.

Still couldn't find a final answer about wi-fi overseas. Anyone know definitively if this works? Are there any differences among different countries?
    04-07-08 05:30 PM
    BlackBerry uses a technology called UMA to direct voice and data through Wifi when you are in a hotspot.

T-Mobile markets the service as Hotspot@home. The service provides for unlimited talk and data while in a hotspot.

If you travel to another country and make a call back to your home country, it is a local call. If you call out for Pizza in Rome, the call becomes international and you will be billed accordingly.
    04-07-08 05:43 PM
    Stoner
    That is exactly what I thought. When you make a call from anywhere in the world from a wifi hotspot to a US number it goes through UMA and is free. However you must be careful not to move out of range of that hotspot, because if you do, then you are in for a suprise when you receive your bill. In the US if you move out of range the call automatically switches to a Tmobile network tower, when you are overseas, it will be ROAMING
    04-07-08 09:10 PM
    You would think, with 30 million subscribers in Germany alone, T-Mobile would have UMA aced. The 30 million American subscribers would be spared the nickle and dime stratagy.
    04-07-08 09:15 PM
    There are a couple options you can set to insure that you don't go to roaming while using UMA. One is that you can set the network you are connected to, to not allow inter-access point handover. The other step is to set you connection preference to wifi only under mobile network options. Then if you move out of range, the call will simply drop.
    04-07-08 09:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD