I just bought an 8320 on ebay, and it has the 4.2 operating system. I don't have any data service with the phone, and AT&T doesn't have a less expensive Wi-fi only plan like t-mobile does, but I am able to currently use the wi-fi on my home wireless network to open the browser and check my yahoo mail, ebay, facebook, etc. I can do this without my sim card in the phone too, so I am pretty certain it is not something I'm paying for. - I don't know if I am able to use the wi-fi currently because the person I bought the phone from had bought the wi-fi package from t-mobile. I don't understand if you could use the wi-fi for free why you would pay $10/month for t-mobile wi-fi service?

I want to put the 4.5 os on my 8320 so I can look at youtube videos too, but am concerned that I will mess up my wi-fi and not be able to open the browser anymore. Has anyone been in this situation before, and if so, what has worked for you? Thanks!
    04-06-09 12:13 PM
    WiFi does not require data. It's no different than browsing wirelessly using a laptop. But, you must have access. So from home you can use WiFi unimpeded, but outside you would need to be a location that has free wireless access.

I think the $10 TMO service is TMO's hot spot service that gives you unlimited access at TMO Hot Spot locations.

With T-Mobile HotSpot, you get:

Unlimited Wi-Fi access at over 10,000 locations in the T-Mobile HotSpot network, including Starbucks, Borders Books & Music stores and Barnes & Noble Bookstores; select Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Red Roof Inns, Sofitel and Novotel Hotels; FedEx Office; the airline clubs of American�, Delta, United�, and US Airways�; Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, and other airports.
    Savings of up to 50% and no annual commitment�just for being a current T-Mobile phone customer.
    Freedom to IM, e-mail, catch up on work, connect with your social network, or just surf the Web�in comfort, and in places you already go.

Stay connected on the go for only $9.99 per month.
    04-06-09 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD