Hi all, I'm getting an 8320 with T Mobile soon and am stoked about the call over wireless feature. However, will I be able to use the phone over wifi if I don't sign up for hotspot@home service? My friend has a T Mobile Shadow and says he has a program (WM6) that allows him to do this without the subscription to @home.

Thanks!
    11-28-07 12:19 AM
    After searching a bit I seemed to find that you are able to call over WiFi, yet it comes out of your minutes and is not unlimited as in the @home service, can anyone verify this?
    11-28-07 12:39 AM
    That is correct, if you do not have the @home feature, you can still connect and use UMA calling (hostspot@home) but it will come out of you minute pool.

Also, the Shadow is not a @home phone. Only the Nokia 6086, Samsung t409 and the Curve are supported.
    11-28-07 12:45 AM
    out of curiosity, if I do not have @home, and call during nights/weekends, that still falls under the unlimited minutes part of my plan, correct?
    11-28-07 08:46 AM
    out of curiosity, if I do not have @home, and call during nights/weekends, that still falls under the unlimited minutes part of my plan, correct?
    I was wondering that same thing. I would guess that if it takes it from the minutes during regular times then it wouldn't charge you minutes if you have unlimited nights/weekends.
    11-28-07 12:06 PM
    Correct. Its pretty simple. If you pay for hotspot service, any calls originated in a hotspot will not deduct from any minutes.

if you do not have hotspot service your calls are still over wi-fi(UMA) service, however the minutes apply as they usually would in the context of your plan.

so if you make a call at a hotspot during your night time or weekend timeframes these calls are under ulimited minutes. if you make a call during peak hours (non weekend or night time) the minutes are deducted from your plan as usual.

Is it me or does this come up daily?
    11-28-07 12:12 PM
    thanks vwranger.

I dug around as much as I could, but didn't see any info on how this related to unlimited nights/weekends.

guess I'm off to get a wireless router for the house.
    11-28-07 12:18 PM
    I use the wi-fi at the house because our signal from T-Mobile at the house is terrible. Seems like we have connection problems at times on the wi-fi. My computers work fine on the wireless its the phones.
    11-28-07 07:10 PM
    I believe I've heard some people clear up spotty wi-fi services by manually dedicating socket preference to their phone. When a router is split between more than a couple of devices I have read complaints of spotty coverage. I havent personally had to do this but I'm sure if you do a few google searches for your specific router you'll come across how to configure the settings.

Also, 802.11n standard routers will not work with blackberrys wi-fi (last i checked anyway). Best to pick a router that supports 802.11b/g if you are buying specifically with hotspot access in mind.
    11-28-07 09:14 PM
    I'll be traveling to the Philippines soon. As long as I have wifi in the hotel or the building I'll be in, I can use my minutes just as I'm in the US? Does it have anything to do with the 8320 registering with a Philippines carrier before I log onto wifi?

-- I don't have TMO or the 8320 yet but would seriously considering switching if the above proves to be true!
    Last edited by njbautz; 11-30-07 at 11:50 AM.
    11-30-07 11:33 AM
    I'll be traveling to the Philippines soon. As long as I have wifi in the hotel or the building I'll be in, I can use my minutes just as I'm in the US? Does it have anything to do with the 8320 registering with a Philippines carrier before I log onto wifi?

-- I don't have TMO or the 8320 yet but would seriously considering switching if the above proves to be true!
    I really don't think UMA (Unregistered Mobile Access) has anything to do with regestering with a carrier.
    That is assuming that the call is initiated on WiFi/UMA and not GSM transitioned to UMA.
    11-30-07 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD