Could someone explain to me why its such a big deal to have wifi on there phone if you already have a data plan that covers all your online needs.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 12:48 PM
    Well Wifi is faster, and if you have bad cell reception at home, you can make calls of UMA.
    04-09-09 12:49 PM
    its basically just a matter of preference, wi-fi is faster but due to the processor speeds of the BB unit you wont really tell the difference (minimal at best). Seeing that you are on verizon you probably dont have much of an issue of getting service in your home where a lot of Gsm customers do and as wnm said you can call using UMA. Everyones requirements are a little different, while your data plan covers all your needs Wnm's may not.
    04-09-09 12:55 PM
    I find Wifi browsing is much faster than EDGE.
    04-09-09 12:56 PM
    I find Wifi browsing is much faster than EDGE.
    i would not disagree with that but edge is 2g where verizon's evdo is 3g.
    04-09-09 12:59 PM
    Well I don't have a data plan, I had one but found it mostly unnecessary as I am rarely somwhere that I don't have some type of internet access, so WiFi fills in the gaps.
    Last edited by rastagalnj; 04-09-09 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    04-09-09 01:01 PM
    I agree that WiFi is not needed when you have a 3G signal but for some people, there are places where you cannot get the service (i.e. basements) but where you do have WiFi, so that would help that. I would be pissed, being on Verizon and thus not having WiFi, but then again, every place that I don't get 3G data service, I have a lap top that has WiFi anyways...but that is a situation where even though the network is fast, WiFi is still valuable...
    04-09-09 01:43 PM
    There's no WiFi in any CDMA BlackBerry devices currently.
    04-09-09 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD