My upgrade to OS 4.5 worked perfectly on my T-MO Curve and its been fun with one MAJOR exception.

ALL videos, whether OTA or via DM are now 40% smaller!

Is there a setting change that can fix this? Why would the new OS reduce the size of videos? Mt BB has a beautiful screen and I like to watch the occasional vid on it - but not now!

Please help!
    10-26-08 10:52 AM
    i just posted this question earlier. I got the same problem. looking for an answer ? tech support had no clue but did say it should be full screen
    if you figure it out please post the answer

thanks
    10-26-08 11:26 AM
    Silly question, but are the vids you are downloading the right resolution for your phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 11:55 AM
    Right Rez?

Well, they should be. I have some Black Books episodes that I transfer to my BB. I choose "optimize" option for playback. The vid I transferred before OS 4.5 is large and looks good. The episode after OS 4.5 is much smaller. This is the same with vids from vuclip - like mo_gott reports.

Is there a setting in the DM that changes this? I can't find it on the BB.
    10-26-08 12:20 PM
    if you are streaming, then they wont be full screen.... 4.5 just doesn't do that...
    10-26-08 12:58 PM
    Not streaming - the videos I transfer from Deskstop Manager/Roxio Media to the BB (specifically the media card).

I tried a different setting (simple conversion) and had the same issue. Too small!
    10-26-08 04:31 PM
    This is something clearly with OS 4.5 i was running 4.3 upgraded to 4.5 stricly for the hide pic feature. All the videos that i downloaded from vuclip while using 4.3 play back full screen. All new videos since 4.5 play back at about %40 screen even with the full screen option. There must have been another option in menu added but i cant find it This is driving me nuts i watch alot of video on my phone, if i cant fix it then i am going to downgrade back to 4.3

Help anyone got some ideas?????!!!!!!
    10-27-08 07:30 AM
    mo_gott,

I am still feeling the frustration, too. Did you notice that the file sizes are now smaller on Vuclip? I remember the high rez files being like 3-4MB - and now they are all 1-1.7MB. The High rez files only being 0.7MBs larger than the low rez files. So at first I thought that Blueapple/Vuclip had changed something (they have but I don't have any info on whether they changed the files). So my main concerns are for the quality videos I am transferring to my BB via Desktop Manager on PC.

My default setting had been Optimize for BB playback. This led to the small vid. So I tried the simple conversion, and the result was an even smaller video! The only other option is the one that says yer gunna get a crap image. So I am at a loss. There is no other setting to change that I can locate in the new DM v.4.6 - and I haven't found a combination in the BB device itself. This is a big loss to RIM for me. The Nokia N95 is looking better every day.

Is nobody else having this issue?
    10-27-08 10:17 AM
    Last night i upgraded my os to os4.5 with much disappointment. The main reason i upgraded was for the video recorder. Here are the problems with the new os that bothering me

-Video recorder - plays in small screen when full screen is checked

-Streaming - i used to be able to select "Open" on video and music streams from such websites as mytinyphone, blueapple.mobi, phoneerotica.com when prompted and be able to stream the selected files, now with 4.5 an error pops up and i have to save the file before i view it which sucks because i liked to stream first, instead of saving and taking up space. Yes i know i can delete it after but it is inconvenient, Streaming should be better with a newer os.

-Video playback - all videos are smaller except for phoneerotica videos, not sure why, and they also seem chopier and less quality

These are the problems that are making me almost want to give up the video recorder and go back to 4.3! If anyone knows how to fix these problems let me know
    10-28-08 12:55 PM
    Yep - same issue. Either nobody else is having this issue or if they are it doesn't bother then at all. Unbelievable.

This is a near deal breaker for me and BB. Would be nice to know if it is just an OS issue.
    10-28-08 02:52 PM
    I'm having the same problem while streaming. I'm on 4.3 still..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 03:05 PM
    Ohmygodd it's so not just that!

Uggghhhh this issue gets me so frustrated especially because one of my favourite bands just got their new music video out lol

Okay I'm just gonna paste what I wrote on another thread:

Ummm simple way to put it:

HELP!!!!! lol

well i don't know how to make new threads so like i'll attach it to this thread anyway, sorry guys

I have a BlackBerry 8320 with OS 4.5.0.81 from T-Mobile.

So back then, I used to be able to load YouTube MP4 videos on my BlackBerry (which was on OS 4.5.0.69 from some other carrier I think) and they worked just perfectly. As soon as Media Manager from Desktop Software 4.3 finished "converting" my files for "optimal playback," I could just easily play videos on my BlackBerry and view it Full Screen and the video resolution would be 320x240. Basically all videos were crisp and clear and took advantage of the real estate provided by my phone's screen.

But since I got that stupid update from T-Mobile with the new Desktop Software 4.6 and new OS 4.5.0.81 that basically did nothing for me anyway, the Media Manager doesn't even show anymore.

So stupid me decided that hey maybe I should just uninstall Desktop Software 4.6 and switch back to 4.3. Took hours btw. Well Media Manager now shows again BUT NOW, video resolutions of newly converted videos (YouTube MP4, same formats as before that whole update mess) are like half the size of the screen instead of 320x240. One video even showed up as 240x135. WTF?!?!?!?!

So please someone help me get this straightened out. I'd really like Media Manager to act like how it was again...without Desktop Software 4.6. That stupid **** gave me so much problems, it wouldn't even let me perform a device switch and it fails to backup all of my data. Uggggghhhhh!

Oh and it would be nice if it didn't involve having to uninstall and reinstall the Desktop Software and BlackBerry Software and do that totally time-consuming hate-inflicting demon-born Application Loader (Yes I hate App Loader that much, too bad it's necessary sometimes)

Thanks CrackBerry Addicts.
    11-01-08 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD