My wifes name is christina.. but it keeps thinking im saying regina my moms name.. same for a number of other names and no i dont have a thick accent.. for the most part i think i speak as proper as it gets. I just dont know why you cant train this thing. Rim if your listening.. please FIX THIS!
    10-30-07 04:54 PM
    have you tried to adjust your sensitivity levels for the voice dialing feature?
    10-30-07 07:13 PM
    **EDITED thread title**
    10-30-07 07:14 PM
    If you haven't already done so, go into Options > Voice Dialing and click on the "Menu" button to bring up the submenu and then select "Adapt Digits". Go through the process to fine-tune the Voice Dialing.
    10-30-07 08:31 PM
    **EDITED thread title**

must've been a naughty word in there...

anyways....all i could suggest is trying to pronounce things as good as you can, i mean christina and regina do sound similar..try and play with sensitivity levels..
    10-30-07 08:33 PM
    I agree 110%, the stupid thing drives me nuts! I try and say "call James" and it comes up with "call KC" or "call ISD". WTF?!
    I've tried playing with the sensitivity. I've finally just given up on it. I liked the voice dialing on my MDA waaay more. At least with that one I could ASSIGN call tags with my own voice so there was never any problem with recognition. RIM should fix that one! I have zero accent either.
    10-30-07 08:35 PM
    Its wasn't that naughty now was it guys? I only said is sucks (sorry if u have to block that out) But yeah I didn't know that was a naughty one lol

But yeah I tried it all guys I trained it. Lowered sensitivity all of that it just su *ks. I wish you could do voice tags.

must've been a naughty word in there...

anyways....all i could suggest is trying to pronounce things as good as you can, i mean christina and regina do sound similar..try and play with sensitivity levels..
    10-30-07 08:44 PM
    I've not read the entire thread. But, in answer to the initial issue, go to options / voice dialing, and adjust the levels. I use to have the same issue, after adjusting the sensitivity, it works flawlessly now...
    10-30-07 08:45 PM
    I agree my voice dial gives me crazy options too.. I haven't gotten used to it yet myself...
    10-31-07 12:02 AM
    It taks some getting used to but I have figured it out. I normally have a deep voice, but for Voice Dialing I need to raise it, speak clearly and in monotone, no inflections. That usually gets it, or at least the "Did you say..."

As for the sound alike names. Try changing the name to something else:

First - Last
    Christina - Wife
    Regina - Mother

This works with my 8310, Jawbone and Plantronics BT headsets.
    Last edited by JoeBlackberry; 10-31-07 at 07:07 AM.
    10-31-07 07:05 AM
    when I first got my phone i was unable to get a few of my contacts names to correctly identify as well ... i read somewhere ... maybe the manual? ... that if you have that difficulty you should try adding in the last name as well ... and ever since i have done this i get my contacts on the first try using my BT headset and VD
    10-31-07 07:26 AM
    Yes I agree the voice dialer takes some getting used to. I was accustomed to being able to use voice tags that way there was a pre-recording of my voice for that particular entry.

My moms iPhone must be the same way as she accidently calls me and my cousin quite often. LOL!

I guess I will have to use it more to get a better understanding of it.
    10-31-07 09:22 AM
    it was in the BB's onboard help menu that i read about the first and last name ... the BB is so useful its scary sometimes
    10-31-07 09:26 AM
    wolfscmb is correct. i accidentally ran into the solution. i originally had my phone list with first names only. (This is my first blackberry and i didnt have a need for the first and last) i then fixed my phone list and i used the voice dial. it works flawless with first and last name.
    11-01-07 09:57 AM
    i must say the first and last name option has made this very usable now.. kudos on the pointers guys!
    11-01-07 10:48 AM
    Using first and last name did the trick. Man, that was frustrating trying to use first names only!
    11-01-07 05:24 PM
    glad everyone is having such great success with their voice dialing feature now ... ... i just cant wait till they start letting us dictate our txt messages ...
    11-01-07 05:33 PM
    glad everyone is having such great success with their voice dialing feature now ... ... i just cant wait till they start letting us dictate our txt messages ...
    Man, no kidding... car insurance rates would drop when they instroduce that, LOL!
    11-01-07 06:45 PM
    Well, I'm new here and to the BB. I can tell you this... I like voice tagging better than this voice recognition feature. It's almost useless for me. I've went through all the setup stuff, but it does no good. I just bought a new Razr V3i and it had the same crap on it....that I could NEVER get to work. I gave it to my wife. She don't use the voice recognition part. I started looking for another phone to buy and saw the BB Pearl 8120. As I continued reading review after review, I remember something about the voice dialing features that said it used 2 types....voice recognition and voice tagging. That's what sold me on the purchase. But I have since found out ..it ain't so! O well, I'll get used to it I guess. I'm still looking for that review though... I want to correct them on that part. Hope RIM comes out with an update that allows voice tagging. As far as the rest of the phone...I love it!
    04-01-08 12:17 PM

Thanks to you all for starting this thread. This is my first post and it is to thank you for finally being able to use the Voice Dialing feature on this phone. I've tried unsuccessfully to use first names in the past and the first+last name finally was the ticket!
    06-12-08 01:15 AM
    First name - last name works wonders. I also try to avoid phonetically similar entries without some sort of tag to make it unique. Do that, and adjust the sensitivity and you'll be up and running in no time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 07:28 AM
    I've had such frustratingly horrible experiences with voice dialing in the past, I never even considered trying it.
    06-12-08 08:01 AM
    I've had such frustratingly horrible experiences with voice dialing in the past, I never even considered trying it.
    I had tried voice dialing with earlier Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones using recorded tags, and the experience was generally awful.

Voice Command (add on for Win Mobile) worked (works) very well -- on a Windows Mobile device, and Voice Signal on Blackberry's has been superb for me.

In general, as you've seen in the thread, you get best results when the name is unambiguous, and Voice Signal doesn't have to work at distinguishing one name from another similar one. That's part of the trick to getting best results: if the first name / last name combo is unique, it will come up right every time; if it's close to another name, you may have to pick between them, and it may miss altogether.

My experience: I count on voice dialing on my Curve ALL the time. It is incredibly rare for me to have to key in a number on the keypad. Most of my calls are when I'm on my way into work or on my way home, in the car. With a good noise reducing BT headset (like the jawbone), I will typically voice dial half a dozen calls each way, and Voice Signal typically gets the name right, on the first try, about 99% of the time.

This works so well for me that it's an absolute prerequisite for any new mobile device I would consider...

- Jon
    06-12-08 08:22 AM
    i must say the first and last name option has made this very usable now.. kudos on the pointers guys!
    this may sound really stupid... I am not having issues with voice dialing but am just curious as I have not used it a lot so i know i will run into problems...

1) For the first & last name trick, do you only need the first and last name for the entry and then when you voice dial you have to say the full name?? Or can you just say the first name?? (I was not sure how it helped unless you had to say the full name)

2) Concerning adjusting sensitivity settings... many suggested adjusting them to work better. Do you adjust sensitivity UP or DOWN?? May sound dumb, but it was not clear to me what changing the sensitivity either way did!! Thanks all for your help!!

Great topic and happy crackin'
    06-12-08 08:23 AM
    My wifes name is christina.. but it keeps thinking im saying regina my moms name.. same for a number of other names and no i dont have a thick accent.. for the most part i think i speak as proper as it gets. I just dont know why you cant train this thing. Rim if your listening.. please FIX THIS!
    It's not so much that it gets the wrong name for me as it is that it comes on in the middle of my music or audible.....I'd like to keep it from doing THAT-LOL
    06-12-08 09:51 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD