I've got icons for "Messages" and my personal email account on my home screen. Whenever someone sends me an email to my personal account, it registers as a new email AND a new message, so both icons will display the new message icon. Is there any way I can prevent new emails from showing up under "Messages"?
    10-05-08 05:28 PM
    That's just how the blackberry is set up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 05:32 PM
    No. You can hide the messages icon but if you text you'd need to seperate your sms.

10-05-08 05:35 PM
    The messages ICON is set up y be a default area for all messages not just email but everything else as well.
    10-05-08 05:36 PM
    Like the above post says messages is a centralized location for everything bc ppl have multiple emails coming to the device etc and it eliminates clutter in a sense unless you just want to hv every icon for each email set up on your home screen. Depends on the user I assume.

10-05-08 05:39 PM
    To separate your SMS messages from your various email accounts, go to Messages, press Menu, Options, General Options and scroll down to Keep Messages SMS and Email Inboxes and select Seperate.

You can Hide and icons you do not wish displayed on the Applications Desktop screen by scrolling to the unwanted icon, pressing Menu and selcting Hide from the Desktop.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-05-08 at 05:48 PM.
    10-05-08 05:45 PM
    To separate your SMS messages from your various email accounts, go to Messages, press Menu, Options, General Options and scroll down to Keep Messages SMS and Email Inboxes and select Seperate.
    This didn't work. I set that option and then emailed the account, and it showed 1 new message under the email account icon as well as the "Messages" icon.
    Last edited by Patrick G.; 10-06-08 at 06:28 AM.
    10-05-08 06:01 PM
    All emails will go into your Messages folder. This is not something you can change.

10-05-08 06:27 PM
    [QUOTE=Patrick G.;796493][QUOTE=Pete6;796451]To separate your SMS messages from your various email accounts, go to Messages, press Menu, Options, General Options and scroll down to Keep Messages SMS and Email Inboxes and select Seperate.

This didn't work. I set that option and then emailed the account, and it showed 1 new message under the email account icon as well as the "Messages" icon.
    You totally have it backwards.

Here's it is in small words:

The messages inbox holds ALL messages- emails, IMs (BBM, WLM, AOL, etc.), and text messages.

Your email inbox ONLY holds your email messages.

If the dual notification is bugging you you can hide the messages folder- but then you won't see your incoming SMS messages, so you need to make the SMS inbox visible by going to the messages-menu-option-general settings-separate email and SMS? Yes.

Then you'll see your SMS inbox on your homescreen and you can hide your messages folder so all you'll see when an email comes in is your email inbox notification.

To hide a folder highlight it on the homescreen then press the menu, hide.
    10-05-08 06:36 PM
    ^ what she said. LOL.
    10-06-08 05:36 PM
    Small words?
    10-06-08 05:38 PM
    Just a side note, the Messages won't include IM's from 3rd party apps like JiveTalk, Instango, etc (only the bundled messengers from what I've seen).
    10-06-08 05:56 PM
    i'm not sure if this has been stated clearly. i believe someone earlier said that the "messages" folder holds ALL messages. this is not necessarily true.
    the "messages" folder can be set to not show SMS text messages, but it will ALWAYS show emails. just something to get used to. or like others have said, just hide it. i don't like to do that, though. since missed call and voicemail messages show up there i would end up having a huge number of unread messages. i'm a bit anal about that and would not like it!

the "messages" folder is supposed to function like a "be-all-end-all" of messaging. so no matter how many SMS messages and different email accounts you have set up, you only have to look in 1 folder to see them. they do give you the ability, as i said, to separate SMS. which i personally like.

-randy
    10-06-08 06:09 PM
    this is how I have mine set up

I hid my specific email folder. blahblah@ hotmail.com... hidden

I have seperated my messages and SMS folders, so on my home screen, I have messages, SMS.. BBM..options and phone..
    10-06-08 06:17 PM
    Thanks everyone!
    10-06-08 06:42 PM
    I have 5 email accounts on my BB and I created a NEW folder called Mail and moved all of the email icons to it. The only icons I have are MESSAGES and SMS/MMS
    10-06-08 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD