WRONG. THE BLACKBERRY DOESN'T KNOW JACK OF WHAT IT IS DOING OUTSIDE OF THE BROWSER. IF YOU ARE TYPING AN EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ELSE OTHER THAN THE BROWSER, E.G. EMAIL OR IN AN EMAIL FIELD IT PUTS IN A SPACE. WHY DOES THE BLACKBERRY PUT IN A SPACE IN MY "TO" AND "CC" FIELDS?

No... I have use that awful alt-period instead of just typing a period. It's absurd. If any of you had a Treo or any other non-Blackberry device you'll know what a major PITA this is having to shift and hit the alt key, type a period, and continue. I type email address in "compose" all the time, put in CCs, will send someone an email address in email, put it in a note, etc.

I also HATE hitting the space bar twice by accident (so used to using it instead of one damm press of the period key) and then doing a delete just to remove a space that is added extra. All I wanted was a period, just once. I'd pay $20 if someone could just hack the keyboard to put a period there instead of the dollar sign. quit making excuses Blackberry fanboys. It's a terrible oversight that continues to get trampled on by the geniuses at RIM. They did other stuff well, why not this?
    Actually the pp is right. It just looks like its a space but if you keep typing and hit enter the . And the @ will show up in the right place. I use the spacebar for a . everywhere and it works for me. Its actually quite convient

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 05:14 PM
    I like it. $$$$$

11-17-08 05:17 PM
    I don't mind it$ I don't use it all that often though$ The double space and the fact that the berry is smart enough to know what it's doing is good enough for me$

$$$$$

11-17-08 06:00 PM
    its my speakerphone key lol
    11-17-08 06:13 PM
    Coming from a treo I was hating how I had to press alt and then the period. I was saying to myself "why the heck would they put the $ instead of a period." But once I learned the double space, it was much easier.
    11-17-08 06:19 PM
    I should probably read my quick start guide. I didn't know about the double space...that rocks. As for the king of knowing everything up there...if you would actually try it, you would see that using a space puts in the period or the @ symbol in emails and web addresses.

I just wish my Pearl had a $ key. I use it way too much.
    11-17-08 06:24 PM
    Using the period by pressing space twice is fine for me. LOL! But I find myself hitting space twice while typing on the regular computer. Doesn't quite work the same now does it.

I do the exact same thing!!!!

Can I customize my desktop to do that too?!

That would be awesome!

11-17-08 06:28 PM
    The "dollar" sign on my keyboard, when pressed, gives the British pound symbol! How can I get it to give me a "$" instead?? Thanks.
    Options> Screen/Keyboard scroll down to Currency Key and change.
    Hope this helps!
    11-18-08 10:53 AM
    It doesn't bother me, but I also wondered why there was a dedicated $ key.

As another poster said, I would have preferred a "," over a "$". Commas. Are. Useful !!!
    11-18-08 01:08 PM
    it bugged me at first, but i got used to it quick and now i don't even notice it. the double space works just fine for me.
    as for having to press "alt", if i even actually need to do that, i don't mind. it kind of puts you back in the mindset of using a "real" QWERTY keyboard. when i use the "alt" or "shift" keys i tend to use them like i use a fullsized keyboad: hold it down while i press the key i'm after. for instance, for a capital T, i would hold down shift, then press t. and in the case of a period, i hold down "alt" and press "$". i have two hands, so it isn't that hard.
    almost everything that's different about the BB that i thought i would miss (or that i initially missed) has pretty much faded and/or been replaced by a complete understanding of why it is different. the only thing i still think about is the true threaded SMS style of my old Treo...

-randy
    11-18-08 11:19 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD