My new 8330 came with Blackberry IM installed. My software version is

When I open up IM it takes me right to my contact list. I can send a request to my friend to add them as a contact but they have no option to accept the request. The same thing happens when they send me a request and it always just says "pending" as a contact. My menus do not list the same options they talk about in the instructions for using IM. For example there is no option to start a conversation, and no option to enter a pin number instead of an email address. When I try to enter a pin instead of an email address it does not accept that.
    Messages from the Blackberry state if it does not work I should download the latest version of Blackbeery mesenger and if I do the message I get is that my software version does not support Blackberry Messenger.
    I am very confued. Is my Blackberry not able to use IM? Am I doing something wrong? Is there any advice to be offered here?

Much appreciated.
    07-12-09 11:45 AM
    Have you checked to see if your data plan worked by connecting to the internet? Also your contacts that you are trying to add need data plans in order for BBM to work. Try pasting their pin numbers in your address book, delete the current invites then resend. Post your results...
    07-12-09 11:48 AM
    This is what I am getting when someone sends me a request. I do not get a request in BB Messenger but I receive an email and this is what it says.

I removed the the contact name and replace it with Person Name

Person Name would like to add you to his or her BlackBerry Messenger Contact List.

If you don't currently have the required application on your device, please visit BlackBerry.com/messenger to learn more about this service.

Once you've installed BlackBerry Messenger, return to this message to accept this request.

-------o-------
    80:AQEBAAEBBAAC1JcwegAACAEAAwAVAAQCiPKE5X/35QPV21d9HI4yCmvNhhMBAAUuAQAGLgEABy4AAFA=

--------------------------
    Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

I have messenger on my Curve 8330 so I am not sure what is going on.
    07-14-09 05:41 PM
    Have you registered with your phone carrier's BIS site? Or are you using BES?
    07-14-09 05:57 PM
    Have you registered with your phone carrier's BIS site? Or are you using BES?
    Yep I have registered with my phone carrier's BIS site. I have 2 contacts on my Blackberry now but I sent them the request. So far people that sent me a request all I get is an email like the one I posted.
    07-14-09 06:10 PM
    I am having the same problem. I have the 8330 and I sent some request out. They were all people in my address book and I don't know their pin's so when I clicked on add a contact I chose either their name or email.

Two people have accepted but not the others. However, one of the people I sent a request to I ended up getting a request from them also. I got the same email message as the other person who posted here. What I don't get is the email says once you have installed BB messenger to return back to the email to accept the contact but there are no links or instructions in the email that tell you how to accept.

I keep seeing post that say all you have to do is go to your pending list, click on the name of the person who is pending and click on accept but I don't have "accept" as an option. I have tried all different places within messenger and i have never seen the option to accept. I even tried figuring out how I could send a new request and include my pin to the other person and I can't figure it out.

Just seems really odd because I know everyone that is currently in my pending list because I sent them an invite all have BB so it should be that difficult.
    07-17-09 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD