I never owned one but if I look at the Treo 650 for instance or other devices with Palm or Windows based operating systems, I see some beautiful functionalities, interfaces and devices. Actually much more appealing than the Blackberry!

Don't get me wrong: I'll stick with my BB forever!

My question: Why did you choose Blackberry while you was using Palm or Windows bases devices? Why not stay with your (for example) Treo?

Daruba.
    01-07-08 08:42 PM
    Every Palm device I've ever seen has the reset button on the back worn out.
    01-07-08 08:51 PM
    Every Palm device I've ever seen has the reset button on the back worn out.
    Maybe not so "constructive" as I expected but certainly a strong point.
    01-07-08 08:56 PM
    I got my BB after having trouble with a HTC 8125 (Cingular), Just see my sig. But I did my research and all the reviews I checked (Owner Reviews) had the BB rated between 8.5 and 9 out of ten, the rest including Palm had ratings in the 6 and 7's. So I chose my BB based on that and now that I have it, I am glad I chose it!
    01-08-08 09:15 AM
    Former Treo user here, and the size difference alone was worth it. Now a Treo feels like a brick. BB is much more stable, also.
    01-08-08 10:33 AM
    I'm a former Treo, Moto Q, UT StartCOM user. NOTHING compairs to my BB! I will say that I did leave my 8703e when the Moto Q came out. The reason I left was for a camera. After 3 days with the Q and having to wipe the Q's software 10 times I took it back and went back to my BB! NEVER again will I leave my BB! Click <3 BB 4-ever!

Click
    01-08-08 10:39 AM
    Former Treo 600, Treo 650 & Treo 700P owner here. I have had palm devices since palm devices were in existance. I love the os. It is very user friendly and there are thousands of third party applications that make the whole phone a beautiful, customizable experience. But bottom line, I switched to BlackBerry because I need a phone that works! I need to get my email all the time and be able to place calls. I got tired of turning on the device and getting what all "treonauts" refer to as the "white screen of death". A blank screen with nothing happening. Or you are in the middle of writting a very long and important email, and voila, the "Palm" logo appears and the phone has gone into reset. Many a time I refrained from pitching the phone full force into a wall in frustration. The final straw came when I had to make a 911 call and voila, the white screen of death. That was it. I switched to a curve and have not regretted it since. I would admit that the Tasks application does not compare to the Palm's application, or the calendar, but hey, the BB ones work for my needs. And I am yet to see a white screen of death. The BB works when I want it to. I get and receive calls with out the phone resetting mid sentence. I loved my Treos, but alas, like Brtitney, their time was up, washed up and of no use. It was time for a divorce. Also, the device is pretty dated now. Like walking around with a brick compared to my curve. By the way, I tried a Treo running Windows mobile and hated it. The Windows Plam crashed as much as my old Windows Computer.
    01-08-08 08:16 PM
    I have never owned a smartphone, until I got my curve 8310 with at&t. I did a lot of research on the different ones and always found that Moto Q's always got the worst rating. So i opted for a blackberry instead, and I am completely happy with it so far. I just wish I could record video and it had 3G, but so far I am really happy.
    04-05-08 12:31 PM
    I'm a former Palm Treo user that was converted by colleagues & my sister, lol. My sister is a very busy woman & a mother & she lives by her BB. I was looking into BB's for awhile & couldn't find one I really liked - til the Curve.

My Curve can do the work I need it too - with a camera for those candid moments! It mixes work w/ play to the tee!

Now I couldn't be happier!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 12:37 PM
    I chose the BB over a WM based OS because it is more stable. Yea Qs and Treos look sexy but the OS is terrible. It would always be slow or crash and I couldn't stand it. I can have a ton of things going on with my BB and it's still solid.
    04-05-08 12:40 PM
    This too is my first smartphone. I also did a lot of research and found that this was the best thing going. I personally am not that big a fan of windows. Have no choice to run it on my home computer though, because of some programs that I use for work. I just have to say all that glitters is not gold. I say that in response to the nice pleasant interfaces. I can make windows or anything look pretty, but if it doesn't run well under the hood, all I'm left with is something that looks pretty
    04-05-08 12:43 PM
    First of all palm os is the worst ever made. Palm as a company is close to bankrupt cuz they suck. Any tech savy person will tell u windows mobile is another of microsoft's downfalls cuz it also sucks. Windows mobile 6.1 is suppose to be an improvement. I'm not really gonna get into details cuz theres too much. Try google, u'll see why they suck. In general blackberry os is stable fast and reliable. This cannot be said for palm os or windows mobile. Almost every palm user I know moves from palm after a while.

The only thing about blackberry os is windows and palm have tons of apps for it. Blackberry also has lots of apps, about all u would need but nowhere near as much as palm or windows mobile

Last edited by avmsam; 04-07-08 at 04:59 AM.
    04-05-08 01:01 PM
    In a nut shell BB "JUST WORKS". Palm had their day in the Sun back in the 80's and 90's but has grown complacent over the years. WM as an OS has yet to get it right, and is plague with endless reboot, and IMHO has moved from v5.0 to v6.0 without fixing the bugs in v5.0
    04-05-08 03:59 PM
    It's all of the above. I've had numerous cell phones- including several smartphones. Basically, I've replaced quite a few functions that I would normally use one of my laptops or my Dell Axim (brick)to complete the task. I'll never use anything else. Besides, BBs are cool
    04-05-08 05:30 PM
    I've never been fond of the Palm OS and I don't like how you have to click twenty things just to get a program to open on Windows Mobile. The BB just seems to be easier and quicker to get things done, IMHO.

Derek
    04-05-08 05:32 PM
    I never had a smart fone until the BB.
    I had a Razr and was looking for a new fone and saw tht the BB was just a couple extra $$$ more so thought why not.
    I didn't know anything abt a BB and never read up on it so it was just a spur of the moment purchase.
    I don't regret spending all tht $$$

04-05-08 05:37 PM
    Like comparing a Lexus (Blackberry) to a Chevy or Ford (others)
    04-05-08 05:48 PM
    * Great push email (haven't seen this yet.)
    * Very easy to use
    * Blackberry Messenger (unique BB to BB conversation, even chats can be started)
    * Great battery life (another one I didn't see above)
    * Lots of support (upgrades to firmware/software)
    * The 2MP camera is superior to all treos, windows mobile and most US smartphones.
    * Security
    04-05-08 05:48 PM
    Because BBs Rock!!!
    04-05-08 05:55 PM
    Former treo 650, 700p and formoer pocket pc WM user. I realized that I wanted to be able to get my emails quick and fast like sms's. Treo did nt manage that for me. So I switched to a WM Pocket pc, and I hated it because no matter how many times I refreshed all the programs running the damn thing still froze on me. So I switched to BB, and I love it. It has everything I ever wanted in a phone. Especially the curve. I love my curve. I love everything about it, and my addiction to it. I'll never leave BB.

04-05-08 07:03 PM
    Before a couple of BlackBerries, I had the Windows Mobil OS and just didn't like the instability. Now it's BlackBerry or bust.
    04-05-08 08:14 PM
    The question is not why...but why not?
    04-05-08 09:48 PM
    I have been using Palm OS since 1996 and Treo 600/650/680 extensively. My BB arrives tomorrow.
    People can put down Palm all they want, but they are very successful. Think of all the OS's that have come and gone, while Palm is still around. Palm also has the largest 3rd party group of software developers. Period.
    There are 3rd party apps for Palm like Datebk and Takephone that put all OEM apps from Palm and BB to shame.

One quick example of why Takephone is so good as a contact app for Palm. I can quickly enter in 2 or 3 letters and find almost any contact I have. I can enter in initials of their name, city, state, comment field, etc. You can make your own custom field and search by that field.

Datebk has floating appts, and numerous ways to setup repeating events. I can have recurring meetings every mon, tues, fri done from a single screen. Integrated to-do's in the calendar. etc

I'm already a little apprehensive that my 8310 arriving tomorrow can't do all this.

So why am I going to a BB? Stability. A Treo problem, not a Palm OS one. Also, I've gone to a company that uses BES vs. Goodlink with Microsoft Exchange.

One more thing, the people here at crackberry seem to be very helpful and loyal crowd. Nice to see people trying to help each other vs. flaming each other.
    04-06-08 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD