One of the things I read/heard is that BB owners usually download Opera Mini as soon as they get a new phone, because it's better than the BB browser. But so far I'm not really seeing why. Here are a few points I'm hoping someone can address:

1. Certain apps still seem to launch the BB browser by default, such as the Bank of America app. Related to this, should you use the BB browser when downloading new apps, or can Opera do this?

2. I'm always prompted by Opera that it is trying to access a low-level socket connection and I must say "Yes" to this. Also, after saying yes, this causes a separate small menu to pop up with the options "Select, Stop, Exit", which seems like a bug in the software. At any rate, this constant prompting for permission is definitely something that makes me not want to use it (and I see no options to turn this off, or always say yes, etc.)

3. Sometimes, the look of the BB browser and Opera are the same. A big difference is Opera's full view of the webpage where you can then zoom in to a specific section. However, I find this difficult to use. You can't really *see* anything on the full page because it's all so tiny.

So I'm just wondering, is there really any reason to switch from the BB browser? Are there things about Opera I don't know about?

Thanks.
    07-26-08 03:01 PM
    I use both.. The only thing i use Opera for is my banking and to peruse ebay.. whatever doesnt work on my BB browser works on OM, and vice versa.. so, its all preference.. I like them both.. and as dor the 2nd point you made, that is the most annoying part of OM for me..
    07-26-08 03:05 PM
    they make good partners... opera mini and bb browser.
    i like opera for MLB.com, and my banking site. Crackberry runs smoother on OM for me.
    07-26-08 03:07 PM
    How are you guys changing which browser launches when you run MLB or banking? (I have both of those and they launch the BB browser right now.)

I've seen an option called "Default Browser", but when I go to it, it doesn't present choices, it just highlights the text like I need to type something.
    07-26-08 03:10 PM
    I tried Opera on my 8330 and didn't care for it either. I also loaded it on a Mogul and didn't like it compared to the Internet Explorer. It has been removed from both devices until something better comes along.
    07-26-08 03:12 PM
    It's not really that great honestly
    07-26-08 03:12 PM
    i just go to my banks site.. with BB browser it doesnt format the page correctly and OM does.. i have noticed that i have to use OM when i am on sites that i have to buy things on.. like tickets.com or things like that.. for some reason it works a lot better than BB browser on those sites... if it wasnt for those couple things, i would never use OM..
    07-26-08 03:14 PM
    Eh. I honestly had OM on my Pearl, and when I upgraded to my Curve, I didn't even bother wasing the memoury to install it to my new device. The native BB browser works just fine for me, and is more easily navigated as far as I am concerned. However, lots of people swear by OM..... This is just a matter of personal preference, I suppose.
    07-26-08 03:19 PM
    It's not really that great honestly
    I 2nd that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-08 03:27 PM
    The only real benefit I have derived from Opera Mini is the ability to download large files that the BlackBerry browser doesn't permit. More often than not, I will get an error message, but eventually the process works.
    07-26-08 04:10 PM
    I don't know about setting Opera Mini as your default browser, but it's a minor nuisance if you just use it for web surfing.

The biggest benefit is that Opera compresses content before it is sent to your phone and in the process renders web pages WAY better than RIM's browser.

Here is an example of a website without a mobile version to prove my point (pickyourshoes.com)

With Opera:

With BB Browser in page view:

Not even a comparison, the RIM browser's rendition was garbage. Not only that but because Opera compresses content it loaded 4 times faster. I **** you not.

To rid of the annoying pop up that Opera has all that you have to do is enable your firewall under security options and the next time you launch Opera it will ask you if you want to allow this connection and you just say Yes and check the box that says "Don't ask me again", or whatever.

The 4.5 OS may have improvements, but I'm not going to put a Beta OS on my phone. I will wait until the official release.

BTW: I have v4.3 which came on my 8330, which is supposed to be an improvement.
    Last edited by zsig; 07-26-08 at 04:25 PM.
    07-26-08 04:18 PM
    One of the things I read/heard is that BB owners usually download Opera Mini as soon as they get a new phone, because it's better than the BB browser. But so far I'm not really seeing why.

So I'm just wondering, is there really any reason to switch from the BB browser? Are there things about Opera I don't know about?

Thanks.
    The reason is because your Curve came stock with OS 4.3 which includes the updated browser that is the same (or at least similar) to the one in OS 4.5. Many of us that used Opera prior to 4.5 ditched in favor of the updated BB Browser as soon as we upgraded.
    07-26-08 04:22 PM
    Nothing in my opinion.
    07-26-08 04:24 PM
    I had it for a while, decided there was no reason to eat up memory for another browser. However, when Firefox Mini comes out I'm sure I'll be jumping on that!
    07-26-08 04:30 PM
    Here is the same page zsig posted above, viewed in page view of the updated browser, for comparison.

07-26-08 04:31 PM
    Here is the same page zsig posted above, viewed in page view of the updated browser, for comparison.

That's a significant improvement over the 4.3 that I'm running, because if they made changes to this version of the OS then I'd hate to see what people running prior versions are dealing with.
    07-26-08 04:35 PM
    To me sites that don't have mobile versions tend to work better with OM from my experience. The ones with mobile versions, although it may not be in mobile format on my bb browser, they seem to work well.

With my iPhone, I actually deleted OM on my BB.
    07-26-08 06:22 PM
    Opera Mini is good for when the BB browser just isn't cutting it. For example I hopped on Fandango.com last night to look up movie times and the BB browser just wouldn't load the page so I opened OM and there it was. It usually is my last resort. Its almost a hidable app. considering I rarely use it.
    07-27-08 03:53 PM
    I use both cause there are some web pages that work better with OM. wish there was an option to always connect on OM rather than hitting yes every time.
    07-27-08 03:57 PM
    Opera does better with some sites. I switch back and forth. But I too am waiting for firefox mobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 04:07 PM

2. I'm always prompted by Opera that it is trying to access a low-level socket connection and I must say "Yes" to this. Also, after saying yes, this causes a separate small menu to pop up with the options "Select, Stop, Exit", which seems like a bug in the software. At any rate, this constant prompting for permission is definitely something that makes me not want to use it (and I see no options to turn this off, or always say yes, etc.)
    That's your firewall settings. JWGraves gave a great fix a few weeks ago. Click here for the solution.

Anyway. I prefer Opera over BB, particularly for non-mobile sites. I feel it loads faster and better.
    07-27-08 04:19 PM
    Thanks boxofrain for the link, fix it.
    07-27-08 04:29 PM
    i use both - bb browser for quick text-ish stuff and op mini for banking, myspace and ebay and message boards.

at this point in time, they both have their place on a bb.

fyi, i am using the new OS4.5 browser on an 8310 and its very opera-ish
    with its "point and magnify" capability.....but it still doesn't work with my
    online bank where opera mini does.....
    07-27-08 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD