And I say that in a clueless way, not in a snobby way.

I've just heard a lot of talk about it lately (on these forums anyway) and I've had my heart set on a pearl (if you hadn't noticed) so I was wondering why y'all seem to like it so much. What sets it apart from the other Blackberries?

Right now I have an 8703e and what bothers me the most (aside from the lack of a camera and the ability to get anything from the sprint download store) is the size... it's thick and wide... Is the curve like that?
    Last edited by blackberry226; 04-08-08 at 09:53 AM.
    04-08-08 09:46 AM
    Well it has a camera, and no it's not bulky. It is just a smidge bigger than the Pearl. It fits great in the hand!
    04-08-08 09:49 AM
    Advantages of curve
    1. full keyboard
    2. camera and gps or camera and wifi

Other than that, it's just a matter of preference.
    04-08-08 10:11 AM
    Its also light and fits well in hand.
    Get any one, as long as its a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 10:16 AM
    The curve has a look and feel that I have yet to find in ANY other smartphone, BB or not. I've been through Pearls, Qs, 88xx, Wings, Dashes, HTCs, XYZs, ABCs, BlackJacks, iPhones, etc - you get the picture. Basically I've owned 'em all and tried to give each a fair shot.

Every time I have come back to the Curve. Money is nowhere near the equation, I want to carry the best device for ME. BB fulfills that with their OS and services. The Pearl has its assets and drawbacks, and when I finally came down to choosing the Pearl or the Curve, I switched them off each day for a week - and again found myself drawn to the Curve. It's hard to explain. Yes it's the full QWERTY, yes it's the larger screen, yes it's sleek and sexy, yes it's not much bigger than the Pearl, but it's all that and more rolled into a perfect little bundle.

If you have the option, try them both out. This isn't meant to flame any other device, especially since I know some people are stuck with their choice for a while; whether it be BB or anything else. I highly recommend you do try them both, though. You may love the Pearl, you may love the Curve.

That's all I've got to say about that.
    -Eric
    04-08-08 10:19 AM
    I'll definitely play with the pearl and curve then before I make my decision. I wish money wouldn't be part of the equation for me but on a teacher salary (in a very poor district) it is definitely an important factor. On that note, I won't let it stop me from get a smart phone with the features I want!
    04-08-08 10:30 AM
    Good choice.

Sorry if I came across snobbish on the money comment; that wasn't meant to be the case. I'm not in a "money is no object" situation in life (little tough supporting a wife, three kids, and a mortgage in southern California), but once I owned one high-end device it became relatively trivial to sell it and use the proceeds to buy another, ad infinitum.

-Eric
    04-08-08 10:34 AM
    The Curve seems like a nicely made phone, with plenty of functions to keep even a gadget happy guy like me interested. Testing the beta of OS4.5 this week, so we'll see how that works out as well. One of the nice things about Curves is that they seem relatively easy to upgrade and switch OSes on. I have tested 4.2.2.174,180,184 and now this afternoon will have 4.5.0.0.

My complaints, which are relatively minor... no GPS in the wifi Curve 8320, and Garmin won't sell Mobile XT for the Curve, only license it on an annual basis for $99/year. Disappointing since they sell it for the same price for Symbian and Windows Mobile devices.

More on OS4.5 in another post...
    04-08-08 10:39 AM
    My girlfriend has the pearl and I got the curve, the biggest thing I noticed was the full keyboard on the curve, and the easy shortcuts and advantages of having the full keyboard. Maybe it is just me but i find that the keys on the pearl are very annoying. Also it depends what you really need the phone for, but the larger screen on the curve does come in handy and makes things easier at times.
    04-08-08 11:20 AM
    I've had a Pearl for a couple of weeks and the keyboard drives me NUTS. I have ordered a Curve in he hope that the 'real' keyboard will work for me.

Apart from that I love just about everything else about the Blackberry.
    04-08-08 11:27 AM
    In my personal opinion the curve is amazing. i cannot imagine having anything other than a blackberry and I love the curve. I used to want to the pearl but I like the size of the curve. To me the pearl is too small, and I love the full keyboard of the curve. It is not bulky at all it is surprisingly lightweight. As others have already mentioned the camera is great and internet/wifi.
    Blackberries are awesome period, but I really love my curve.
    04-08-08 12:36 PM
    Hmmm, I've been wondering if they keyboard on the pearl would be hard to get used to. I guess I'll have to check it out but I'm getting more interested with the curve. On that note, I hope that those of you that are saying not so great stuff about the pearl are in the minority, in the chance that I do want the pearl instead!
    04-08-08 12:41 PM
    Full, easy to use keyboard, fits in my hand perfectly, has all the features I need for work & the camera for play.
    04-08-08 01:03 PM
    I tried both the Pearl and the Curve. Both are good devices. For me, the full keyboard on the Curve and the larger screen made the difference.
    04-08-08 01:13 PM
    The curve is in 1 word....AMAZING for a Blackberry. One of the best RIM has ever sold us
    04-08-08 01:15 PM
    I'd have to say the Screen and the keyboard are a big plus. The pic quality from the curve is really good too. I dont know if the pearl has stereo bluetooth, but this is also a big perk for me when I go to the gym.
    04-08-08 01:23 PM
    PEARL IS THE BEST THING EVER HAPPEND TO BLACKBERRY!!!!
    sure type is complicated (when i used mah aunty pearl i wanted to throw it against the wall!!) at first but then once you get used to it you will be typing like a pro just as if it was a full qwerty keypad.
    you want regret the pearl.
    if you have patience to teach then you have patience to type on pearl!
    04-08-08 02:44 PM
    PEARL IS THE BEST THING EVER HAPPEND TO BLACKBERRY!!!!
    sure type is complicated (when i used mah aunty pearl i wanted to throw it against the wall!!) at first but then once you get used to it you will be typing like a pro just as if it was a full qwerty keypad.
    you want regret the pearl.
    if you have patience to teach then you have patience to type on pearl!
    LOL, whoever said I had patience to teach?! Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I have patience.. in fact it means I'm running low on patience!!

It might be a situation where even though the Pearl and the Curve are so similar, I have my heart set on the Pearl and if the pearl keypad doesn't bother me, I might have to get what I've been wanting.

And then I'll end up wishing I had the Curve! I'm a mess.... !
    Last edited by blackberry226; 04-08-08 at 03:26 PM.
    04-08-08 03:21 PM
    I started with the Pearl but longed for the curve. I finally got the curve and I've never been more satisfied with my choice.

Pearl is GREAT, but for me the curve has it all.

Full keyboard, bigger screen and the feel is more smarty-phone than the pearl (again, IMHO).

I gave the pearl a 5 month use shot and I just couldn't stop my eye from wandering, so I knew that I wasn't going to be happy until I got my hands on the Crimson 8310.

I had major issues before but now I'm happy.
    04-08-08 03:33 PM
    I personaly use the curve. It is by far the best phone i have ever used. The stereo headphone jack is nice. the screen size, battery life, built in gps, full keyboard are all selling points for me. My wife on the other hand uses the pearl. she loves it just the same. but with her she takes the ipod for music/movies on flights as me just my phone.
    04-08-08 03:47 PM
    I came to BB from PAlm on New Years and all I can say is HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    I purchased the curve because I was used to the querty keyboard (on my PAlm) and did not want to give it up. I love my Curve - picture downloads are easy - ring tone download was easy - I have the best of a mobile phone and PDA.
    04-08-08 03:49 PM
    The bigger screen and the wifi were the reasons I switched from the pearl. Still have the pearl 8100 as my back up. The sure type and full keyboard was never an issue.
    04-08-08 03:51 PM
    My wife on the other hand uses the pearl. she loves it just the same. but with her she takes the ipod for music/movies on flights as me just my phone.
    What do you mean by this? Can the curve do music and movies?

And also... Sprint doesn't have the Curve yet does it? When is it supposed to be at Sprint?
    04-08-08 04:41 PM
    Personally, i despise the pearl just because of its keyboard. To me, using T9 on a smartphone seems absurd ( sorry to all the pearlies our there :] ) I adore the curve because of its functionality. I check my emails/sms while on the phone... listen to music... edit my docs.. surf the net... all on one handheld device. Can't wait for the 4.5 os so i can watch vids online and actually have a video camera!!.. power to the people
    04-08-08 07:20 PM
    you can never go wrong with a curve. its nice and light. plus it has a camera
    04-08-08 07:45 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD