what format does video need to be in for it to play on the BB? I have put several on my SD card, and they won't play. I've tried AVI and several other formats. any help? thanks!!

RD
    05-26-09 06:39 AM
    I have mine in 3gp and they work great. I think you can use mp4 as well but I'm not 100% on that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 07:13 AM
    Download and install a free program called Super and use it to convert your AVIs to 3GPs.

05-26-09 07:31 AM
    Are there any specific settings that need to be adjusted when converting to 3gp? Sometimes if there not set right they won't play on certain phones.
    In another thread some one said they play many formats on their Curve. I can't get WMV to work. Is 3gp the only format that plays in our media player?

05-26-09 09:08 AM
    Do I need to put super on the desktop? It's not something that will work on the phone, is it ?
    05-26-09 10:52 AM
    Do I need to put super on the desktop? It's not something that will work on the phone, is it ?

thats exactly what i was wondering. anyone?
    05-26-09 11:14 AM
    Super is a very flexable converter. It is a desk top program.
    However the flexability can make videos not work on curtain devices.

05-26-09 01:26 PM
    Haven't used Super, I use Mediacoder (also free). Here are the settings I use for movies in .3gp:

Video:
    Bitrate based 450 kbs
    Format: XVid
    Container: 3gp

Audio:
    Nero Encoder
    22050 kHz
    Profile: LC-AAC
    Rate Mode: Target BitRate 24 kbs

Picture:
    320 x 240
    Crop: Disabled
    Frame Rate: 15 fps
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-26-09 at 02:07 PM.
    05-26-09 02:03 PM
    Super C is desktop or PC software. You use it to convert videos so that you can play the vids on your phone.

I know the settings for the Storm, but not sure what settings are best used with the Curve. A friend just got a Curve and I am trying to optimize vids for her.
    05-26-09 04:25 PM
    I used Handbrake a program that I downloaded for Mac, not sure if they have it for PC, but the settings I use are as follows:

MP4 File (File name will show as .m4v) they work on my Blackberry.

Video Settings: MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)
    Framerate (FPS): 24

Go into Picture Settings change it to 320 x 240

Audio (I have found that the volume is sometime low on the speaker for the blackberry) I boost it in the audio settings:

Change the DRC to 2.50 or 3.00 for the boost.

I use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD file to my computer and then convert them directly from the DVD rip.

Hope that helps, I have found that these are the best quality, I usually just do some TV shows for my son to watch if he gets restless when we are out to dinner.

Tim
    05-26-09 05:43 PM
    Haven't used Super, I use Mediacoder (also free). Here are the settings I use for movies in .3gp:

Video:
    Bitrate based 450 kbs
    Format: XVid
    Container: 3gp

Audio:
    Nero Encoder
    22050 kHz
    Profile: LC-AAC
    Rate Mode: Target BitRate 24 kbs

Picture:
    320 x 240
    Crop: Disabled
    Frame Rate: 15 fps
    Pretty close to your specs and works fine. I can't get WMV to work like someone else posted elsewhere. Not sure what they were talking about.

05-27-09 12:32 AM
    Quick question along same line. How much memory does the average movie take up on the bb? I have a 8330 with about half memory full. Thanx
    05-27-09 09:33 AM
    It depends on what you mean by half full? I have a 16GB card. Do you have one also or are you using "half" of an 8, 4, 2 or 1 GB card? One movie that I ripped and transferred to my bb takes about 500 MB. I suppose your mileage may vary but I bet most 2 hour movies are around that much. Maybe someone else with more experience will help us figure out totals...but multiply each movie by that figure and "quess-ti-mate" how much room you will need.
    That would be my advice. Hope it helps!
    05-27-09 10:33 AM
    Sorry, forgot it would be going on SD card. I've got plenty of room there.

05-27-09 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD