Hi, I'm a BB newbie - just got my Curve 8330 last week. Anyway, last night I charged it up, unplugged it and went to bed. This morning I went to check my messages and all I saw was a white screen with "voice dialing" at the top and "scanning address book 0%" in the middle. I couldn't get away from this screen and finally had to hold down the power button to resart it. When it came back on it was fine, then white screened again, and then said something like "security update xx%." Then it was fine and I haven't had anything else odd happen so far.

The battery was half dead even though I hadn't touched it since the night before.

Any ideas?????

Thanks for the help
    03-05-09 07:59 AM
    Sounds like it thought you told it to activate the voice dialing feature, at which point it scanned your address book to be able to recognize contacts you might say to it. Then it prolly got stuck scanning, drained half the battery in the process, and froze. When you reboot, it shows a building progress bar verifiying security settings then goes to your home screen.

FYI, when you turn off a BB, it doesn't really shut down, it more goes to sleep. That's why when you actually reboot it by pulling the battery, it takes several minutes to boot up that you're not used to seeing.
    03-05-09 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the quick response No idea how it happened, but I'm not as worried now.

I am going to pull the battery just in case.
    03-05-09 08:30 AM
    That's happened to me twice already as well with my 1 week old Curve. Fortunately, I saw it happen so it didn't drain my battery. I think my problem was that I'd hit the left side key by mistake and would activate this feature. Last night I learned how to switch that key to now become my lock screen feature.
    03-05-09 08:34 AM
    Ahhh....thanks for the tip! Just learned it myself. I will probably never use the voice dial feature anyway
    03-05-09 09:09 AM
    Yea most likely you hit your left side convenience button before you put your phone down which in turn activated your voice dialing. I would just swtich the left hand button to a different action and you should be fine in the future.
    03-05-09 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD