I downloaded Sprint Navigation on my NEW 8330. I just wanted to download it, but not currently allow it to track me because the program looked different that the other 8330's that I've downloaded it on. It is an all black screen that says in tiny little letters at the bottom to not drive while using it, and it doesn't ask you to click accept or anything (which I thought was weird, as the other TWO times I had this on my other 8330's -- within the week -- it was a yellow screen, then you click it, then it prompts you about not driving while using it, then you click again, a menu comes down and you hit accept).

This one forwards me to a screen -- without having me hit accept or anything first -- that says: "To use Sprint Navigation you must allow the application to connect to the network, use GPS, and access you [sic] phone." Below that it says: "On the next page, click View. Then open the menu and select Save."

It was freaking me out that this looked and was set up COMPLETELY different than the other 2 8330's I've had (within the last 2 weeks). I tried hitting the end button. It wouldn't let me exit with the End key, so I finally clicked the Exit. Then it exited, but a message with an exclamation came up saying something like 'permission for action denied: GPS was turned on.'

What the heck?!?! I ripped the battery out. I downloaded it right from the little Sprint Navigation icon, which is why it would surprise me if it were some malicious software trying to track me, but in the same token, why would it look like that?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CaraP; 01-16-09 at 11:56 AM.
    01-16-09 11:51 AM
    Nothing to worry about. Sounds like you have the latest version of Sprint Navigation. If that screen you're talking about says v 2.1, then that's what it is. The prior version, that looked different was v 1. something. The newer version of Sprint Navigation you now have on your new Curve actually is more stable and has added features.

I'm not sure about the other things you went through and all those cryptic messages you received. You may want to start it over and see what happens.
    Last edited by robcourt; 01-16-09 at 06:42 PM.
    01-16-09 06:37 PM
    Is there a way to upgrade to v2.1 from v1 on my 8330?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 09:35 PM
    Nothing to worry about. Sounds like you have the latest version of Sprint Navigation. If that screen you're talking about says v 2.1, then that's what it is. The prior version, that looked different was v 1. something. The newer version of Sprint Navigation you now have on your new Curve actually is more stable and has added features.

I'm not sure about the other things you went through and all those cryptic messages you received. You may want to start it over and see what happens.

THANK YOU! Oh my God, you don't know how relieved I am! Even when I called tech support and told them about the error message that I got (especially with the spelling error ), the woman was like "that doesn't sound right!" but maybe she just wasn't familiar with the new version??? Also, after we did a complete handheld wipe, that was the only app *still installed.* I mean I downloaded it DIRECTLY by clicking on the icon that already came on the phone, so it shouldn't be some weird thing trying to track me I wouldn't think... Who knows though!
    01-16-09 09:39 PM
    Hadn't heard about v2.1 before. I'd be interested in getting it as well.

01-16-09 09:55 PM
    Hadn't heard about v2.1 before. I'd be interested in getting it as well.

It seemed like a real pain in the you-know-what, but that just might be because I was scared half to death that some secretive third party application under the guise of a Sprint Navigation icon was tracking me. Now I feel ridiculous, and I feel a bit more at ease to use it.... Hopefully it's good! I'll use it tomorrow, and try to update on here (my first post here FROM my BB!).
    01-16-09 09:58 PM
    the question on the table remains....where did you get this download from?
    01-16-09 10:01 PM
    Oh sorry, it was just on the phone. The icon for Sprint Navigation was there, and when I clicked on the icon, it brought me to the download page. After we finally got it off the phone (manually removed it even after the handheld wipe was done), I walked through it step-by-step with the tech support, and I'm sure that I did download it directly from Sprint Navigation's provider, TeleNav. Maybe they have it on their website??

Just wanted to update:

I found this: Sprint Navigation
    and this: Sprint Navigation (scroll down to the bottom and it has a userguide for v2.1 for the curve and other RIM devices, once in the userguide, on p 9, there is a link of where to download it)
    Last edited by CaraP; 01-16-09 at 10:17 PM.
    01-16-09 10:04 PM
    I found on sprints website to text message the word NAV to number 777468 and sprint sent a link for download. It works good, I loaded it on to my phone and my wife's phone.

01-16-09 10:15 PM
    Cool, cool. Thanks for the info. Other than the splash screen, notice any differences?

01-16-09 10:18 PM
    I noticed that you can now manage your favorites a little easier. You can also send your favorites to another sprint nav user, I sent my wife some of my favorites and they show up in her received favorites. The main 3D navigation screen is layed out a little different but still has the same basic info. It seems to load a little quicker and run smoother. It looks like they took out the compass that used to be in the tools menu. Hope this helps.

01-16-09 10:39 PM
    Skimming the user guide, I noticed those "Share & More" menu options as well - I guess everyone feels like they need to add social networking into their app. It looks like they've also added the ability to resume an interrupted trip (at least I've never seen it on v1). Looks like a nice little upgrade. Too bad about the compass - it was kind of cool, but I've got other GPS apps which show that as well.
    01-16-09 10:49 PM
    Here's the link to download v.2.1.0.11 (point to it from your BB, it's and OTA download):

TeleNav

01-16-09 10:55 PM
    Now I'm going to have to see if Sprint has been holding back a Sprint TV update
    01-16-09 11:00 PM
    Wow! Thanks for this. Didn't know there was a new version out. This one is loads faster and voice seems like it's much clearer too.
    01-16-09 11:08 PM
    Now I'm going to have to see if Sprint has been holding back a Sprint TV update
    No, I just checked and v.1.5.2 is the newest one they have. If you're looking for it for the 8330, here's the link:

http://www.mobitv.com/rim/8330/

01-16-09 11:24 PM
    Yea, def thanks to CaraP and everyone else. Probably wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't stumbled on this thread.
    01-16-09 11:24 PM
    No, I just checked and v.1.5.2 is the newest one they have. If you're looking for it for the 8330, here's the link:

mobitv

That's what I had found too, but thanks for looking into it all the same.
    01-16-09 11:26 PM
    sweet as swweett
    01-16-09 11:27 PM
    I think the option to type or speak an address is also new in this version. The Instinct has the "speak it" option but I don't think v1 on the 8330 did.
    01-16-09 11:31 PM
    I just upgraded, and I miss the compass! Any suggestions for a good compass program for the BB?
    01-16-09 11:53 PM
    I found on sprints website to text message the word NAV to number 777468 and sprint sent a link for download. It works good, I loaded it on to my phone and my wife's phone.

SWEET!! Thanks for the info Libdawg.

01-16-09 11:59 PM
    I guess it really depends on how you want to use one, but there are at least two apps I know of:
    BlackStar geocaching app - OTA - discussion thread

GPSed - GPS tracking - web site

I've got GPSed and one of the screens shown is a compass.
    01-17-09 12:09 AM
    LOL, I'm so glad that some good came out of my panic!! So this must be a pretty new version, right? Is that maybe why there is a spelling error (they didn't catch it?)?
    01-17-09 01:35 PM
    Yup, your panic was our gain - thanks

Seems like this is the same version as on the Instinct - not sure when it was released for the Curve.

01-17-09 01:41 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD