Ok I sent a bad phone to sprint and the phone I got back from sprint as a replacement would give me a link to open the picture. My old phone woud just automatically open the pic. Here is what the sprint tech told me. My new phone has the latest software and the link is the way it was gonna b from now on?????

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 05:55 PM
    Alt Shift H works on my 8330m the M as I recall stands for MMS which is embedded in the phone.
    No, the m stands for MEID, not MMS.
    06-22-09 06:00 PM
    Alt Shift H works on my 8330m the M as I recall stands for MMS which is embedded in the phone.
    Incorrect, as has been pointed out. The m stands for MEID hardware, vs the ESN hardware that came out before. The MMS difference is the software and the carrier.

Ok I sent a bad phone to sprint and the phone I got back from sprint as a replacement would give me a link to open the picture. My old phone woud just automatically open the pic. Here is what the sprint tech told me. My new phone has the latest software and the link is the way it was gonna b from now on?????
    Ok, that's just incorrect information. I have Sprint with a phone I purchased just one month ago. It is an 8330m and it gets picture/audio in MMS messages directly without a Link to click.

I don't think it is the 8330m, I think it is the software on the device. The person you spoke with either doesn't know, or knows you got a phone with older software and doesn't want to replace it. Question, what software version does it say you have of you go to Options->About?
    06-22-09 08:40 PM
    Ok, re-reading all posts shows many have different opions. Vete showed me wjhat phone I have, thanks. All I know is I have a 8330 that gets pix without a link. I tend to agree with what BB says it depends on the carrier if it is ESN or MEID. ALL in all we all jhave a bit of correct info as well as bad info. I apologize to those offended. Reread the whole post and u can see the confusion

06-22-09 08:58 PM
    No, the m stands for MEID, not MMS.
    thanks for clarifying the "m" xliderider.
    06-23-09 02:45 AM

The sent you an 8330 first generation.
    06-23-09 02:46 AM
    Ok, that's just incorrect information. I have Sprint with a phone I purchased just one month ago. It is an 8330m and it gets picture/audio in MMS messages directly without a Link to click.

I don't think it is the 8330m, I think it is the software on the device. The person you spoke with either doesn't know, or knows you got a phone with older software and doesn't want to replace it. Question, what software version does it say you have of you go to Options->About?
    The first generation 8330's (the ESN Curves) do not support true MMS even with the latest OS. I just had to do an exchange and got an 8330m. Previously if I received an MMS with media attached it came in as a link. With the new 8330m the media comes through as a file.
    06-23-09 02:50 AM
    Blackberry says it depends on the carrier whether or not you have ESN or MEID. I did the ALT/SHIFT/H and mine does not display any model number. I believe that may by carrier specific for I know there are certain things carrier specific.
    They stated that ESN, MEID, or IMEI is carrier specific... IMEI is for GSM/UMTS carriers, ESN and MEID are for CDMA carriers.

MEIDs were created because CDMA phone manufacturers were running out of unique ESNs, they are longer than ESNs and thus, there are more combinations of unique numbers, which should hold Qualcomm over until CDMA is phased out by LTE and WiMax.

Below are screens from an 8330m, I have purposely obfuscated my MEID, but there's still enough there that you can tell it has more digits than an ESN
    Attachment 28234
    Attachment 28235
    Attachment 28236
    Attachment 28237
    If your screens dont have the M they say ESN instead of MEID, you've got an 8330, referred to here as the 8330e, the e standing for ESN. For the record, my carrier is Sprint and I own an M, I used to own an E, also on Sprint, it is not carrier specific, both ESNs and MEIDs are for CDMA.

EDIT:
    I also wanted to note, that on Sprint, on my E, whenever I recieved MMS (NOT EMAIL, MMS) that I got a PictureMail link, this was with every version of OS 4.5 that I tried, on my M, however, I recieve true MMS, with pictures embedded in the message. BOTH devices did embedded media in E-Mails, this is NOT what people are talking about when they are referring to embedded media, they are referring to the difference between Sprint PictureMail and true MMS.
    Last edited by paultyler_82; 06-23-09 at 11:32 PM.
    06-23-09 03:27 AM

That's bullspit, they don't know what the f they're talking about. They just make up "stuff".

It's probably because the old phone you had was 8330m, and the replacement one you got was 8330.
    06-25-09 03:11 AM
    They stated that ESN, MEID, or IMEI is carrier specific... IMEI is for GSM/UMTS carriers, ESN and MEID are for CDMA carriers.

MEIDs were created because CDMA phone manufacturers were running out of unique ESNs, they are longer than ESNs and thus, there are more combinations of unique numbers, which should hold Qualcomm over until CDMA is phased out by LTE and WiMax.

Below are screens from an 8330m, I have purposely obfuscated my MEID, but there's still enough there that you can tell it has more digits than an ESN
    Attachment 28234
    Attachment 28235
    Attachment 28236
    Attachment 28237
    If your screens dont have the M they say ESN instead of MEID, you've got an 8330, referred to here as the 8330e, the e standing for ESN. For the record, my carrier is Sprint and I own an M, I used to own an E, also on Sprint, it is not carrier specific, both ESNs and MEIDs are for CDMA.

EDIT:
    I also wanted to note, that on Sprint, on my E, whenever I recieved MMS (NOT EMAIL, MMS) that I got a PictureMail link, this was with every version of OS 4.5 that I tried, on my M, however, I recieve true MMS, with pictures embedded in the message. BOTH devices did embedded media in E-Mails, this is NOT what people are talking about when they are referring to embedded media, they are referring to the difference between Sprint PictureMail and true MMS.
    Ok, I have an MEID number, but my status/about say that the model is the 8330. Which one do I actually have?
    07-17-09 02:12 AM
    So is the radio on the m better?

I would say my radio is just as good atleast...Of course I am running the hybrid OS.
    07-17-09 07:42 AM
    Ok, I have an MEID number, but my status/about say that the model is the 8330. Which one do I actually have?
    Same here. My status/about also says model 8330 but I have MEID numbers also. I wanted to try one of the hybrids but now I am really confused and not sure what to do.
    07-19-09 02:44 PM
    OK so its 2010. 8330e from SPRINT. Still no patch ? I still have to go to Sprint Picturemail ? No TRUE MMS ?
    01-13-10 05:44 PM
    How did you come up with that logic?Again, the MEID or ESN is carrier specific as stated on the Blackberry site. I have a ESN and have always had imbedded media.
    plus as previously stated the Alt Shift H does not work on all phones. It may be a Verizon thing. Vert told me how to check mine and it worked.
    Ok, re-reading all posts shows many have different opions. Vete showed me wjhat phone I have, thanks. All I know is I have a 8330 that gets pix without a link. I tend to agree with what BB says it depends on the carrier if it is ESN or MEID. ALL in all we all jhave a bit of correct info as well as bad info. I apologize to those offended. Reread the whole post and u can see the confusion

Wow.. i've gotta say.. some of things that come from you sound more and more like you're that type of person who doesn't really know a thing about what you're trying to talk about but rather than admit you don't know.. you'd rather make yourself sound even less knowledgeable than you really are. Like how you try and cover yourself by stating "ALL in all we all jhave a bit of correct info as well as bad info"... No.. you where either misinformed or just didn't know what you where talking about to begin with".. Take your "Carrier Specific" argument regarding the "ESN vs MEID" conversation being more of a carrier specific trait rather than a model issue. I happen to have 2 8330's.. both from Sprint, both of which where bought at the exact same time, one is the model "8330" and it does have an "ESN", whereas the other DOES show as "8330m" and does.. i repeat for the "daft".. DOES.. have an "MEID" rather than an "ESN".. If you'd like me to take screenshots of both side by side just to prove the matter i would have no problem doing so.. And just so you know, people are talking specifically about having embedded media in their MMS "Multimedia Messaging Service" (ie, texting someone a picture, NOT emailing them one). MMS and email are 2 TOTALLY different types of service. Also, the "Alt+Shift+H" works for both of my Sprint phones but the more universal way of showing any and all info regarding your specific phone would be to go to "Options" and then "About". I don't know where you get your info from but if I where you I'd ask for my money back from that source. LOL.. And as old as this thread is and half knowing that this will probably never be read or responded to.. I just could not let you keep getting away with your half witted responses and so called "BS" calls!! "ROFLMFAO"!!!! Good luck with that in your future endeavors!!! lol
    Last edited by kned247; 11-22-13 at 02:25 PM.
    11-22-13 02:13 PM
    Wow, where'd you dig this boy up, man? :P

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 02:23 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD