I know on some phones the carrier can open the back and there is some sort of sensor that shows if the phone got wet. Does anyone know if the Curve from Verizon has that?

My wife's phone went through the washing machine and I am trying to determine if I can get it replaced from Verizon. There is no insurance on the phone and I am wondering if they will be able to tell that it went through the wash.
    05-11-09 09:59 AM
    Yes they will be able to tell. There are 2 or 3 inside the device no including the one on the battery.
    05-11-09 10:04 AM
    Run over the phone with your car then file the claim as such. Do not tell them anything about the washer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    All berries have that sensor on the back. Take your battery out and let the berry dry. A good way of doing this is putting it in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice which will draw out all the moisture. Do not put the battery back in until the berry is completly dry. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I appreciate the advice. I actually have already done the rice trick. Initially when it happened it would start to power on but then shut off. Now it does nothing at all.

So they can tell huh? Any suggestions on how I might be able to get a replacement given that we don't have insurance on the phone?
    05-11-09 10:08 AM
    Oops, I misread the "NO" insurance part.

05-11-09 10:11 AM
    oops.................
    05-11-09 10:20 AM
    I appreciate the advice. I actually have already done the rice trick. Initially when it happened it would start to power on but then shut off. Now it does nothing at all.

So they can tell huh? Any suggestions on how I might be able to get a replacement given that we don't have insurance on the phone?
    I dont think there is any way around it now sorry.......
    05-11-09 10:21 AM
    Run over the phone with your car then file the claim as such. Do not tell them anything about the washer.

LOL!! That's a good angle. I wonder if it's worked for anyone!
    05-11-09 10:25 AM
    The only moisture indicator I found when taking my curve apart was a little rectangle above the keyboard membrane, towards the very top above the trackball sensors. When I spilled coffee on mine I broke the phone apart and the indicator was just pink a tiny bit on the sides. As for the battery, not sure about that, the little rounded rectangle on the battery I do'nt think is an indicator. Mine had a red line through it out of the box.

Anyways, search Ebay for moisture indicator and there's a seller for about $7 you get your pick of any three sizes and shapes. Just replace the indicator and you should be good-REMEMBER to take off the warranty cover over the screw very carefully so you can put it back.
    05-11-09 12:33 PM
    Not only is that fraud (ie illegal), they will still be able to tell because there are more moisture sensors than you think you know about. And the technicians will inspect the device for corrosion and such that also are indicative of water intrusion into the device. So that's very bad advice, LoJac963.

To the OP, you need to resign yourself to paying for a new phone.
    05-11-09 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD