I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for maximizing battery life on the 8330 or any Curve device.

For example, I turned all the LED indicators off and set my backlight display to 10.

HOWEVER...

Sometimes the backlight will come all the way on and my battery suddenly is only lasting me a day. It's only happened since I got this Curve (my last one was replaced under warranty); this one lasts a third of the time my old one did!!!

Any ideas? Until then I'm at the mercy of my battery ;_;

Some more info: My old phone's backlight was set to 30 and the messaging LED indicators were left on. I have the EXACT SAME applications loaded into this one, except I now have BBTran, Windows Live Messenger, the Crackberry apps (forums and store launcher), Pacman, and Quickpull. The only one I might think would eat some of the battery life is WLM, but with the changes I made to the LED and backlight, it still shouldn't be dying this fast. :0
    04-30-09 06:13 PM
    You could keep the phone in standby when you arent using it or use the app auto-standby to automatically put it in standby.
    04-30-09 06:44 PM
    The LED's have very little effect on the battery, and also are set to time out after 15 mins anyways..

Do you have anything that updates in the background.. facebook, weatherbug.. something like that?
    04-30-09 06:51 PM
    LED lights have little to no effect.

Make sure you are closing out of all of your applications properly (Menu -> Close). That will improve battery life.

Are you in a lower signal area? That'll chew through battery quickly; trying to find cell towers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 06:59 PM
    The LED's have very little effect on the battery, and also are set to time out after 15 mins anyways..

Do you have anything that updates in the background.. facebook, weatherbug.. something like that?
    No I don't... I mean, I have Facebook, but I don't actually have it set up. It's just kind of... there.

I'm gonna turn my LEDs back on. Thanks for that. It was driving me nuts not being able to just LOOK at my BB to see if I got a text. :P
    04-30-09 07:00 PM
    LED lights have little to no effect.

Make sure you are closing out of all of your applications properly (Menu -> Close). That will improve battery life.

Are you in a lower signal area? That'll chew through battery quickly; trying to find cell towers.

I'm not in any different areas then I was with my first BB. Full signal pretty much all the time. I keep everything closed out when I'm not using it, and have Quickpull set to auto pull daily when I'm asleep to assure that all the memory is cleaned, in case I forget. I also keep EVERYTHING on a memory card (pictures, videos, documents) and while I have them available, I don't use Slacker Radio or the media player at all.
    04-30-09 07:03 PM
    also, if you always have bluetooth on, but not your actual headset, that will also drain the battery. your phone will constanly be searching for it even though the headset is off.
    04-30-09 07:03 PM
    Id try a new battery - rule that issue out.
    04-30-09 07:04 PM
    Id try a new battery - rule that issue out.
    I work cellular tech support, so I did try that... the first day actually. Same thing happened. Batteries in my phone just won't last a full day.

I don't keep my location turned on or my Bluetooth turned on when I'm not using them (I'm pretty religious about that).
    04-30-09 07:05 PM
    Do you put your phone into standby when not in use?

I use a program called Autostandy, it costs money but absolutely worth it, after my set time for the screen timing out, it will go into standby mode, there is also an option for LOCK, and well as BOTH, I use just the standby feature.
    04-30-09 07:09 PM
    I don't usually, but I have my BB password protected and set to auto-lock when the screen times out. Is it that big of a difference that I should try it?
    04-30-09 07:24 PM
    Autolock and standby are two different things, Id try the standby for a few days, see if it makes a difference.

Ruling out every possibility
    04-30-09 07:26 PM
    I just went back and re-read, on most days by the time I go to bed, my battery is about 35-40%.. what would you consider "barely lasting a day"....
    04-30-09 07:29 PM
    Literally about 24 hours it goes into the red. This is from making 3 or 4 short calls (maybe 2 minutes a piece), about 10 text messages, and me staring intently at the battery bar and watching it go down gradually. I've been babying it today and I'm charging it now. My last charge was yesterday at about 5pm. I've told all my friends to not text or call me today so I could see how long it lasts. I've only recieved maybe 5 short text-only emails.
    04-30-09 07:36 PM
    You know... I'm kinda wondering if maybe when I reinstalled everything after my replacement if I did something wrong or didn't download something all the way. I'll try backing up my info and doing a handset wipe and installing my apps again one at a time (maybe have a little patience this time lol) and see what that does.

I'll also train myself to put my phone in standby. Better start working on good habits to be in I suppose.
    04-30-09 07:38 PM
    Well honestly 24 hrs is a while. Are you sure its not simply "battery paranoia".

04-30-09 07:40 PM
    well im sorry your getting a short bat life mine last just 30 hrs I have to let the battery drain to the end and then recharge, but I still get 30 hrs and I text and talk for extended times 40min etc. Try draining it completely
    04-30-09 08:04 PM
    My answer....just get a second battery. I've done everything possible to make may battery last longer and the end result is the same.
    04-30-09 08:14 PM
    I charge mine nightly and do fairly heavy usage and never dip below 40% each day.

I run auto-standby and never run apps in the background
    Last edited by gabbott; 04-30-09 at 09:05 PM.
    04-30-09 09:02 PM
    My battery will easily last me a day and a half as long as I check to make sure I'm not running extra applications in the background. a couple big ones that I notice drain my battery:

Google maps (or any GPS applications)
    Camera (or camcorder)

by the way, quick tip, you can easily switch between applications by holding alt and pressing the back key. Works like Alt tab on a pc. I'm surprised by how many people don't know that. I work at a sprint store hehe.
    05-01-09 01:23 AM
    I recommend a second batt to anyone that has a BB(and think we should get a second like the instinct does with a backup batt charger ). I talk for 4500-5500 min a month and I am normally DEAD by 4 or 5. I am always messing with my phone...I get 100 emails a day...its nuts. The good thing about the second batt is you don't ever have to worry about - OMG I don't have a charger! Also you can do what the phone was meant to do---PLAY WITH IT! And lastly you get a mid-day batt pull which will only makes the phone work better!

So everyone...stop what ur doing and run out and buy another batt!

05-01-09 08:12 AM
    Yes second battery and a small travel charger so you may plug it anywhere...........also add the 'AutoStandBy' software, it does help.....as to this addiction, oh well it is what it is....good luck
    05-01-09 09:53 AM
    As for those buying two batteries... There is an external battery charger you can buy that is pretty sweet, lets you charge your phone and the extra battery at the same time... I'd post a link but I don't have 10 posts yet. lol
    05-01-09 02:59 PM
    You know... I'm kinda wondering if maybe when I reinstalled everything after my replacement if I did something wrong or didn't download something all the way. I'll try backing up my info and doing a handset wipe and installing my apps again one at a time (maybe have a little patience this time lol) and see what that does.

I'll also train myself to put my phone in standby. Better start working on good habits to be in I suppose.
    Use the device for a day without all the apps and that way you can confirm it is not 3rd party software drain. If the battery stays up install one at a time to see the battery drain. A third party app showing what apps drain battery would be cool, but that app would probably be a battery hog...
    05-01-09 04:03 PM
    Well, they're sending me a new phone. More than just the battery not holding a charge, but also apparently the camera will not load (this is the first time I've tried to take a picture since I got the phone). If the battery improves, so be it. If not, I'll survive. I did pick up a spare battery, and I have trained myself to start actually putting my phone in standby.
    05-02-09 04:57 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD