On the bottom of my battery, to the right of four (4) conncetion points, is what was one a white-colored strip that now has four x's that are dark pink or red in color against a light pink background. Does this mean that the phone has suffered water damage?

For future reference, does anyone have any suggestions about using a particular protective case that might protect another phone (assuming this one is water-damaged) from suffering water damage?

I have only had my Curve for nine months. I hate the though of buying another one so soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    09-01-08 12:11 AM
    Yes. That means you have water damage. A Otter Box case (not sure that's spelt right) might help you in the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 12:17 AM
    That is normal. If X's smear and the light background becomes darker, then you have water damage.
    09-01-08 12:17 AM
    really? Mine has no x's at all. Is it dependent on the type of BlackBerry you have?

09-01-08 12:19 AM
    Sorry about the previous post. I read it a bit wrong.
    Lot of trouble with reading today.
    09-01-08 12:20 AM
    Yeah coop it is. The 3 batteries I have all have 4 x's and I know
    they have never encountered water.
    09-01-08 12:22 AM
    On the bottom of my battery, to the right of four (4) conncetion points, is what was one a white-colored strip that now has four x's that are dark pink or red in color against a light pink background. Does this mean that the phone has suffered water damage?

For future reference, does anyone have any suggestions about using a particular protective case that might protect another phone (assuming this one is water-damaged) from suffering water damage?

I have only had my Curve for nine months. I hate the though of buying another one so soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    If it suffered water damage, then those x's would be smeared and the pink background you see would look like it had gotten wet. What you're seeing now is normal. I have those same x's on the light pink background and I can assure you 10000% that my phone has not come in contact with any fluids; not even rain.
    09-01-08 12:25 AM
    Yes. That means you have water damage. A Otter Box case (not sure that's spelt right) might help you in the future.

I had never heard of OtterBox until your post. I checked out the Blackberry cases at OtterBox.com. Here is a link to the webpage with Blackberry cases: BlackBerry Cases // OtterBox.com. Wish I had know about this website previously.

Thanks so much.
    09-01-08 12:26 AM
    oh I see. My 8820 has no x's but I just checked my Curve and I see the x's. I guess you do learn something new everyday.

09-01-08 12:27 AM
    I think the Otterbox is the ugliest case I have ever seen. Otterbox in one hand, chainsaw in the other. Nothing appealing about either one.
    09-01-08 12:29 AM
    I knew I spelled it wrong! Anyway, I heard that they are really great cases and I have seen great reviews about them. I was going to get one, until I looked at the price. Lol

09-01-08 12:30 AM
    If it suffered water damage, then those x's would be smeared and the pink background you see would look like it had gotten wet. What you're seeing now is normal. I have those same x's on the light pink background and I can assure you 10000% that my phone has not come in contact with any fluids; not even rain.

Thank you for your reply.

After I charge my Curve, the charge doesn't seem to last too long and I was thinking that this fact might be indicative of water damage.
    09-01-08 12:31 AM
    I think the Otterbox is the ugliest case I have ever seen. Otterbox in one hand, chainsaw in the other. Nothing appealing about either one.
    Good point.

Any feedback on cases you might have used?
    09-01-08 12:32 AM
    Thank you for your reply.

After I charge my Curve, the charge doesn't seem to last too long and I was thinking that this fact might be indicative of water damage.
    Sometimes I've noticed that some days the battery drains faster than others; all while doing the same thing day after day.
    Unless you've dropped your phone in water or had in to some intensive heat environment, why are you thinking water damage?
    09-01-08 12:33 AM
    True, they are ugly as he11, but if a phone is in my hands, it needs all the protection it can get!

09-01-08 12:33 AM
    I knew I spelled it wrong! Anyway, I heard that they are really great cases and I have seen great reviews about them. I was going to get one, until I looked at the price. Lol

Copp, the OtterBox could be free and I still wouldnt use it.
    09-01-08 12:34 AM
    Good point.

Any feedback on cases you might have used?
    Raider, you can actually use any case that contains the sleeper magnet. I dont have one case to advise you on; its about what your taste is.
    All my cases, for the exception of one, have come from Fortte.
    09-01-08 12:36 AM
    I use a black skin and a belt holster case I bought at the AT&T store. It works good for me, and it is a lot nicer than the otterbox. :P

09-01-08 12:40 AM
    Sometimes I've noticed that some days the battery drains faster than others; all while doing the same thing day after day.
    Unless you've dropped your phone in water or had in to some intensive heat environment, why are you thinking water damage?
    Fortunately, I've not dropped it in water and I've not had it in some intensive hear environment. I was thinking water damage in part because of the charge running down rather quickly which was something that a Motorola did when it had water damage. I hadn't dropped it in water, but apparently some water had dripped onto the phone maybe while it was sitting inside of my SUV in a cupholder area possibly.
    09-01-08 12:44 AM
    [color=blue] I could be that, or just normal battery drain. Have you been using it more than usual? Gps,wifi, screen brightness, ect.

09-01-08 12:46 AM
    Raider, you can actually use any case that contains the sleeper magnet. I dont have one case to advise you on; its about what your taste is.
    All my cases, for the exception of one, have come from Fortte.

I used the link to Fortte. I will check out the products there.

I am not familiar with the concept of a "sleeper magnet".

I don't want to use a holster. I want a cover that I can use over my Curve and then just be able to stick my Curve in a pants pocket.
    09-01-08 12:47 AM
    Fortunately, I've not dropped it in water and I've not had it in some intensive hear environment. I was thinking water damage in part because of the charge running down rather quickly which was something that a Motorola did when it had water damage. I hadn't dropped it in water, but apparently some water had dripped onto the phone maybe while it was sitting inside of my SUV in a cupholder area possibly.
    psst Raider....com'er...Motorola wash your mouth out with soap.
    Seriously, I wouldnt worry too much about it. If you find that your battery performance is steadily decreasing, take it in & have it looked at.
    09-01-08 12:49 AM
    sleeper magnet will put your BlackBerry in a standby like state, kind of like when you put a laptop in sleep mode. You can also set different notification options when it is by a sleeper magnet.

09-01-08 12:50 AM
    [color=blue] I could be that, or just normal battery drain. Have you been using it more than usual? Gps,wifi, screen brightness, ect.

I can't say that I have been using it more than normal, except that I have taken a lot of pictures today that I have sent via e-mail. However, on the weekends, I frequently take a lot of pics and then send them via e-mail.
    09-01-08 12:50 AM
    I used the link to Fortte. I will check out the products there.

I am not familiar with the concept of a "sleeper magnet".

I don't want to use a holster. I want a cover that I can use over my Curve and then just be able to stick my Curve in a pants pocket.
    The sleeper magnet puts your phone into sleep mode when it is not in use and thus prevents accidental presses to the phone that would cause it to wake and play while you have no idea whats going on.

If you want something to just stick in your pocket, have you thought about just using the sleeve that came with it? Also, the sleeve prevents dust or other stuff from getting caught/trapped in the trackball.
    09-01-08 12:51 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD