Hello CB users,

I have a burning question that I hope someone could help.
    I have spent many hours on this to no avail thus I now turn to the CB community.

I got a Sprint Curve 8330 - hybrid OS 4.5.0.138 / .160 radio, phone, profiles. I also cleaned up the blackberry.alx as suggested in a post of this forum - to claim free mem.

Basically I've been downloading Storm & Bold themes for curve 83XX, OS 4.5 without problems; either via OTA or DM.

After each download I'd restart my BB before selecting the new themes. The problems is that although I could view these themes via the Options->Applications list, I could not see them in the Option->Themes menu. Why?!

I downloaded only themes for 83XX, OS 4.5 so I don't think the issue is with OS incompatibility. I also did battery pull many times, QuickPull, soft reset, anything to reset my BB, but still couldn't see them. I have tried a few days to download different types of themes and no luck!

Does anyone have the hybrid OS on curve 8330 and has successfully switching to new themes? The ones I've been looking at are the 3 free precision zen themes, that Aneto offered:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f126/3-...00like-148771/

They look so cool, if only I can use them (sigh!).

Any hints/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

If any theme gurus could confirm with great certainty that I cannot install new themes w/ the hybrid OS as cited above then that's OK too.

Thanks much!
    Tiv
    06-10-09 03:20 PM
    I just installed the 8900-like theme from the link you provided with no problem, as well as a couple others in the past few days.

I am using this hybrid OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hyb...-131-a-242109/

The OS you are using has changes made to the files, and that may be the reason you are having problems with the themes. The hybrid OS (link above), just substitutes files from another OS build, there are no changes to the file contents involved.

Also, since you have a newer Curve, have you verified that you don't in fact have an 8330m with MEID numbers? Options > About. If you do have an 8330m then you shouldn't be using either of the hybrid OS builds.
    Last edited by xliderider; 06-10-09 at 04:05 PM.
    06-10-09 04:00 PM
    I downloaded the exact same theme you listed (8900 version) no problems here

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 06:33 PM
    I downloaded the Stormlike bottom dock and its working perfectly fine.
    06-10-09 07:03 PM
    Thanks all for your feedback. I gave me hope that the Curve 8330 should work on these themes.

I will follow xliderider's advice to upgrade to the hybrid .160 / .131. BTW, my curve is not 8330m so I'm OK to install the hybrid. In fact I'm upgrading it now.

uggh! so many steps to handle though. But I want these new themes so it's worth it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
    Tiv
    06-10-09 07:32 PM
    Ok well ive encountered my first issue. When im using the stormlike bottomdock theme and im in bbm it for some reason takes the symbols screen like 15 seconds to open up and scroll through. I switched to a different theme and it was fine. Switched back to the stormlike and "BOOM" its back to being slow. So that is the only problem ive encountered.
    06-10-09 09:25 PM
    So I did the whole wipe device and reinstall the hybrid OS and finally was able to switch themes as I wanted. whoa! the new themes are beautiful.
    It's worth it!

Many thanks to xliderider and all.

TH

Thanks all for your feedback. I gave me hope that the Curve 8330 should work on these themes.

I will follow xliderider's advice to upgrade to the hybrid .160 / .131. BTW, my curve is not 8330m so I'm OK to install the hybrid. In fact I'm upgrading it now.

uggh! so many steps to handle though. But I want these new themes so it's worth it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
    Tiv
    06-11-09 01:03 AM
    So I did the whole wipe device and reinstall the hybrid OS and finally was able to switch themes as I wanted. whoa! the new themes are beautiful.
    It's worth it!

Many thanks to xliderider and all.

TH
    Glad to hear everything went well, and that you are happy with the end results.

After a JL Commander wipe, and making/installing a hybrid OS, a regular OS install will be so routine for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD