Hi I was wondering if there was a setting somewhere to brighten up my 8330's trackball. I didn't realize how dim it was until I got another one for someone here at work. Both in the same lighting and mine is practically black while her's is pretty much white (and they are both the exact same phones from VZW). Could it be they are different color trackballs? I've looked through the settings and there doesn't seem to be much mention of the light for the trackball. My keyboard still lights up fine, but not my trackball. Do I have a bum phone maybe and should I take it to my VZW store (I believe I'm still within my warranty)? TIA.
    12-17-08 03:58 PM
    Your trackball is most likely dirty, that's all. You can buy a couple spare trackballs for cheap. Alot of people here use this place Cellular Accessories - Mobiado, Tools, Sony, BenQ-Siemens, Panasonic, BlackBerry, Nokia, Samsung, NEC,
    12-17-08 04:04 PM
    Every 8330 that I have seen has a very dim track ball. Like the memory I think it is something they changed when the Curve went CDMA.
    12-17-08 04:24 PM
    Nope, trackball lighting is the same on all curves, all blackberrys really. Trackballs get dirty quickly, happens to everyone.
    12-17-08 05:14 PM
    Incorrect. Some curves actually have a 2nd LED on the other side of the trackball. I've seen pictures of this on the internet (sorry I don't have any to link to but it's been mentioned in a thread here somewhere). I noticed this same thing. Also, your ball could just be really dirty as severedeceit said. I'm on my 3rd trackball or so, they tend to get disgusting after a while.
    12-17-08 06:35 PM
    Incorrect. Some curves actually have a 2nd LED on the other side of the trackball. I've seen pictures of this on the internet (sorry I don't have any to link to but it's been mentioned in a thread here somewhere). I noticed this same thing. Also, your ball could just be really dirty as severedeceit said. I'm on my 3rd trackball or so, they tend to get disgusting after a while.
    I gotta agree with you there. For my 8330, there is only one LED jammed on the far left corner of where my trackball sits. Compared to Pearls and 88xx, mine looks really dim...and well, dark from heavy usage.

Does anyone here know a method of whitening your trackball again? I've tried:
    - Vinegar + Alcohol + pinch of salt
    - Alcohol + pinch of salt
    - Tile/Grout cleaner
    - Contact Lens cleaning solution
    - DAWN dish detergent

Nothing so far.
    12-17-08 07:57 PM
    Anyone know how to change out the LCD lens on one of these?

12-18-08 12:34 AM
    Thanks for the information all. I'm going to look into replacing my trackball. It hasn't been rolling that smoothly lately anyhow.

I'd be curious too to know if anyone knows of a "how to" to replace it? I'd be curious about how to replace the LCD lens as well (I've got a few scratches on it). Thanks for all the help!
    12-18-08 09:16 AM
    Plenty of vids on YouTube and there is info here as well, use the search tool here and check it out...
    12-18-08 09:18 AM
    I haven't tried it yet but I was going to dip mine in water/bleach to see if that whitens it up a bit. Dunknow what the effects are gonna be but ill let you guys know when I gwt around to it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:57 AM
    Here's my launch BB 8330. As you can see there are 2 LEDs on the left and right of the trackball's underbelly. RIM might have since changed the design to 1 LED to save on money. The 8330 trackballs will never be as bright as the 8310 and 8320 because the LED location for those are directly under the trackball while ours are located on the sides (correct me if I'm wrong).

12-18-08 10:45 AM
    I just looked at 2 other 8330s, an 8320 and my 8330.

All of the 8330s have a single LED on the left hand side under the BB button and the 8320 has an LED directly under the tack ball. The 8320s track ball is very bright, while all the 8330s have very dim track balls.

For those of you wondering, yes there were 2 comments by people asking me to stop playing with their balls.
    Last edited by roeod4; 12-18-08 at 12:03 PM.
    12-18-08 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD