Is it at all possible to get a virus on a BB?

sorry for all the questions. I am lost
    08-01-08 11:48 PM
    I've heard that there are mobile anti virus programs out there but i've had 4 blackberrys and never got a virus
    08-01-08 11:49 PM
    From what I understand. Possible, yes (anything is)
    Likely: No
    08-01-08 11:50 PM
    It would be hard to do. As ag said, unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 11:58 PM
    Yes it is Possible... a co-worker of mine had a virus on his red 8310.
    08-01-08 11:58 PM
    Yeah, get some disinfectant wipes and wipe the phone down, or get into habbit of washing hands more. Poof virus on phones no more!

08-02-08 12:02 AM
    Like AG stated, always possible. There is always a virus out there. BB does a great job of not letting it go anywhere though.

Highly unlikely it will effect BBs. Hopefully never.
    08-02-08 12:04 AM
    LOL cixdk!! ROTFLOL

to freakin funny
    08-02-08 12:05 AM
    Atleast someone thought it was funny, work sucks tonight

08-02-08 12:16 AM
    Lol that was funny. I don't want any virus'.

08-02-08 12:22 AM
    Yeah, get some disinfectant wipes and wipe the phone down, or get into habbit of washing hands more. Poof virus on phones no more!
    Yet another post where I'm SOOOOO glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading it.
    08-02-08 12:44 AM
    When ur phone boots up, doesnt it do that security thingy???
    ohh, and viruses use codes, and i dont think anyone would take the time to write codes for a specific phone, to destroy it... so very unlikely... (i may be wrong, i will accept any flaming)
    08-02-08 01:07 AM
    I was on training with RIMM and they said one of the advantages over their competitors is that they have never had a recorded virus on any of their platform. All those antivirus programs are nothin but gimmicks because there is no such thing with Blackberry. The worst things that happen to these phones are spam! :-)

08-02-08 01:21 AM
    There have been some viruses for Symbian, but none in the wild (as far as I know of). I haven't heard of any for Blackberries.

08-02-08 04:01 AM
    i'm making one right now.. jk

but yes it is possible
    08-02-08 05:02 AM
    Anything with an OS as complex as a phone can get a virus. The ways that a virus can get in (mostly) are:

- instaling an infected program
    - an email that contains an attachment that you open
    - bluetooth.

The more BlackBerrys there are, the more likely viruses become. The BlackBerry is clearly wide open to 'competitve' viruses from BlackBerry haters and competitors.

The BlackBerry OS is not at all secure, like Windows (well a bit).

There will soon have to be an anti-virus module within Desktop Manager, BES/BIS and maybe one on the phone too.

Free programs are a menace both on PCs and on BlackBerrys as it is so easy to include a little piece of code that does a lot of damage.

Make no mistake, this will come. Being on CrackBerry will helo a lot because any infected program will quickly become known and may thus be avoided.
    08-02-08 07:39 AM
    While there may not be any blackberry viruses, it is certainly possible for a blackberry to carry a PC virus. If you connect your blackberry to a music site, for example, you could download a music file carrying a PC virus. The virus would have no effect on the Blackberry, but if you sync your BlackBerry to your PC and copy the music over, you just sent the virus to your PC.

This is the reason I recommend you format new media cards. They can potentially come preloaded with PC malware. Formatting them in the Blackberry eliminates that risk.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-02-08 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo
    08-02-08 07:50 AM

ROFL! Made my (work)day.
    08-02-08 10:12 AM
    Actually, I think I got one on my Nokia... Umm... I think it was a 6133.
    But the thing ate up my sim card, creating an infinite # of files and folders of varying sizes, and "created dates" destroying the card completely.

So, possibility, yes.
    Severity, just as extreme as PC virus's.
    And personally, I have no clue how the h3ll I got it. I'm one of those people that can get away without having antivirus software running, cause I'm that damn paranoid. :P

- D -
    Last edited by DNied; 08-02-08 at 02:29 PM.
    08-02-08 02:25 PM
    This may not have been a true BlackBerry virus, but have a look at this post http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...w-fixed-52703/
    08-02-08 03:54 PM
    Yet another post where I'm SOOOOO glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading it.

Lol... when I read it over after reading what you wrote, I'm gad I wasn't drinking myself.
    08-02-08 04:53 PM
    You see it's too much of a hassel to make viruses for blackberries when you have so many computers out there that are unprotected with much more sensitive information on them.

Not to mention that the computers are often left wide open.
    08-02-08 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD