My contract with Verizon is coming to an end in about 2 weeks. I currently use an 8330 on their network and like almost everything about it. The only thing I dislike is the fact that Verizon locks out the internal GPS for thrid party apps (like Google Maps).

I am now very interested in moving to Sprint (since they don't lock the internal GPS) and getting an 8330. I remember about a year ago there were some key differences in the services offered between Verizon and Sprint - I think Sprint did not have MMS, or something like that.

Are there any key differences or limitations that a Curve on the Sprint network has vs. Verizon's network?

I know that many customers complain about Spint's coverage vs. Verizon's.
    04-24-09 11:48 AM
    Sprint 8330's now have MMS. About the same coverage if you live in a metro/semi metro area as well. Plus, Sprint's monthly charges are are about the cheapest around.
    04-24-09 12:01 PM
    my opinion, it seems silly to go from one network to another (especially for the same phone) for.... GPS? you will tie yourself to another carrier with a phone that will be outdated in roughly a year for.......GPS? Dude..seriously..buy a garmin. To each his own.
    04-24-09 12:03 PM
    Yea the 8330 is a great phone but to basically switch carriers with the same device is pretty silly. Get urself another sprint phone, they have a few good ones out like the instinct s30 or the palm pre (not sure about this) or the palm treo pro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 12:08 PM
    my opinion, it seems silly to go from one network to another (especially for the same phone) for.... GPS? you will tie yourself to another carrier with a phone that will be outdated in roughly a year for.......GPS? Dude..seriously..buy a garmin. To each his own.
    He wouldn't be leaving just for GPS. His bill would be cheaper too.
    04-24-09 12:10 PM
    I dont understand this. My 8330 on Verizon works fine with Google Maps. If Im outside the GPS gets my location within 10 meters.
    04-24-09 12:10 PM
    He wouldn't be leaving just for GPS. His bill would be cheaper too.
    That is a better reason to leave than being sick of not having gps. i probably have used gps on my phone once since i have had it. that was only to see if it was accurate. But at the end of the day, its his money and he can spend it anyway he chooses.
    04-24-09 12:12 PM
    I just got a curve 8830 from Verizon and google maps works fine with it.
    04-24-09 12:25 PM
    I dont understand this. My 8330 on Verizon works fine with Google Maps. If Im outside the GPS gets my location within 10 meters.
    Well, your a lucky soul then because I know for a fact that Verizon locks GPS.

That is a better reason to leave than being sick of not having gps. i probably have used gps on my phone once since i have had it. that was only to see if it was accurate. But at the end of the day, its his money and he can spend it anyway he chooses.
    Yeah, I personally think that unlocked GPS is slightly overrated (unless you use it a lot). It's cool and all, but BB maps works just fine with locked GPS.
    04-24-09 12:27 PM
    I've heard that it does work for some people, but I have never had it work (neither has my wife on her Verizon Curve).
    04-24-09 12:28 PM
    I've heard that it does work for some people, but I have never had it work (neither has my wife on her Verizon Curve).
    I wonder if having the phone "unlocked" makes a difference.
    04-24-09 12:30 PM
    Well, your a lucky soul then because I know for a fact that Verizon locks GPS.

Yeah, I personally think that unlocked GPS is slightly overrated (unless you use it a lot). It's cool and all, but BB maps works just fine with locked GPS.
    YAY!....Im lucky for a change! I like Google maps better because I can do the street view.
    04-24-09 12:32 PM
    I am currently a vzw customer and am also planning to switch in the very near future. I know a lot of people with both sprint and verizon blackberries. About the biggest difference I have found from talking with them is the price. Sprint is considerably better priced than vzw.
    Last edited by QB18000; 04-24-09 at 12:51 PM.
    04-24-09 12:48 PM
    After using pretty much all carriers for a minimum of 1 year, I have to say that Verizon's coverage is above par in most areas. I am currently using an 8330 Curve (Verizon), and my GPS works just fine with Google maps. Have you spoken with anyone in tech support about the gps issues? Is there a way to unlock it?
    04-24-09 01:10 PM
    After using pretty much all carriers for a minimum of 1 year, I have to say that Verizon's coverage is above par in most areas. I am currently using an 8330 Curve (Verizon), and my GPS works just fine with Google maps. Have you spoken with anyone in tech support about the gps issues? Is there a way to unlock it?
    You are a lucky one as well. Yes, I have spoken with customer support about the internal GPS not working with Google Maps. Most of the time the representative is surprised to learn that it has been locked out. Sometimes I get a knowledgeable rep who is aware of the issue and lets me know that Verizon has made the choice to lock out the internal GPS to "protect my privacy". bleh
    04-24-09 01:24 PM
    I just switched from VZ to sprint three days ago. I used a curve on VZ and I'm stilling using a curve for sprint. So far I have no complaints, but I live in the central jersey area. My reason for change was price plans. But u should wait to see if sprint gets any new phones during the summer.

04-24-09 02:29 PM
    I choose sprint for three reasons. First cheap plans, second does not limit what you do with the phone, and three had horrible experiences with verizon before.
    04-24-09 06:49 PM
    Are you all sure gps is working in google maps.. or is it cell station location id tracking? Cause they are 2 different things.. if google maps is saying your location is 9-3 meters then it probably is gps.. if not you are not using gps
    04-24-09 06:51 PM
    Well thanks to this thread I just now found out that the gps on my vzw 8330 works I never even tried it figuring that I would have to pay to unlock it.

04-24-09 08:01 PM
    i tried using a friends phone from verizon and a sprint phone in the store and i have t say that i found the sprint phone to be full of alot more than the verizon one! I just cant leave nextel Or i would have been waiting for a newer blackberry from Sprint!
    04-24-09 08:08 PM
    Well thanks to this thread I just now found out that the gps on my vzw 8330 works I never even tried it figuring that I would have to pay to unlock it.

Once again... you sure this is gps? google maps allows you to get a general location based on the cell tower you are on.... this is not gps.. Easy way to tell if you have gps.. if you zoom all the way in you should see a small blue circle or no blue circle at all.. if your background is a blueish tint to the grey or you start zooming out and see a blue halo around your location this is not gps it is cell tower information..

Read the help-> about
    it states
    At times, and if you do not have GPS on your phone, you may see the dot surrounded by a light blue circle to indicate uncertainty about your location.
    Why the uncertainty? The My Location service takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map--its not gps, but it comes pretty close.
    Last edited by numus; 04-24-09 at 08:44 PM.
    04-24-09 08:36 PM
    Are you all sure gps is working in google maps.. or is it cell station location id tracking? Cause they are 2 different things.. if google maps is saying your location is 9-3 meters then it probably is gps.. if not you are not using gps
    Yep...mine has gone as low as 3 meters but averages around 10 outside.
    04-24-09 08:40 PM
    Yep...mine has gone as low as 3 meters but averages around 10 outside.
    In google maps you have a blue circle that averages around 10? If so you do not have gps.. when i run my google maps right now there is my location and no blue circle at all
    04-24-09 08:45 PM
    In google maps you have a blue circle that averages around 10? If so you do not have gps.. when i run my google maps right now there is my location and no blue circle at all
    No blue circle...my gps is working.
    04-24-09 08:51 PM
    No blue circle...my gps is working.
    Do you pay the 10 dollars for the verizon navigator software? I have been reading that paying the 10 dollars for the software might unlocked your gps for other applications...
    ****.. i got an easier way to find out if your gps is working.. download GPSed onto your curve and see if that works.. if it works then you def. have your gps working.. if not you just got a ton of towers in your area and it can guess exactly your ..
    If you decide to test this out (would be beneficial for us to find out if some verizon curves have gps unlocked or not) in gpsed it will say in green GPS Ok in the top left cornor and the satellite picture above this will have a number. that is how many satellites you are tracking.. Software and everythign can be found here Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service

p.s. i am not doubting what you are saying.. but trying to figure out if it really does work and if it does then figure out how and why so other people might be able to use theirs unlocked... gpsed is the surefire answer to does my gps work or not..
    Last edited by numus; 04-24-09 at 09:00 PM.
    04-24-09 08:52 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD