Sophisticated Full-QWERTY BlackBerry Curve 8330 Delivers Uncompromising Communications, Rich Multimedia Features, VZ Navigator and Broadband Speeds

LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and WATERLOO, Ontario, March 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM - News; TSX: RIM - News), a global leader in wireless innovation, today announced the BlackBerry� Curve(TM) 8330 smartphone will be available in May. Packaged in a liquid silver-colored finish with chrome highlights, smooth edges and soft curves, the BlackBerry Curve 8330 is backed by Verizon Wireless' high-speed Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) network. This small and light smartphone has rich multimedia capabilities and is VZ Navigator(SM)-capable. VZ Navigator is Verizon Wireless' location-based service that offers customers mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and access to information on more than 14 million points of interest.

The BlackBerry Curve 8330, RIM's smallest and lightest full-QWERTY smartphone, combines stylish looks with the tools people need to manage their professional responsibilities, maintain personal communications and entertain their senses.

The BlackBerry Curve 8330 offers the following capabilities and key features:

-- Small and light design that is easy to handle and use; measures
    4.2" x 2.4" x 0.6" and weighs only 4 ounces
    -- Large, vibrant 320 x 240 display, with light sensing technology that
    automatically adjusts brightness for optimal viewing in outdoor,
    indoor, and dark environments
    -- Responsive, highly-tactile full-QWERTY keyboard and RIM's intuitive
    trackball navigation system
    -- Premium phone features including: noise cancellation technology to
    offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR)
    for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated "send," "end," and "mute"
    keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth� 2.0, with support
    for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets (Bluetooth stereo audio
    profile A2DP/AVRCP), car kits and other Bluetooth accessories
    -- 2.0 megapixel camera with support for video recording*, self-portrait
    mirror, enhanced flash and 5X zoom
    -- Easy access to the popular Facebook� for BlackBerry� Smartphones
    application
    -- 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack and dedicated volume controls
    -- Advanced media player and enhanced desktop media manager software that
    makes it easy to move media files between a PC and the BlackBerry Curve
    8330 - USB Data Cable comes in-box
    -- MicroSD(TM)/SDHC memory card slot, providing plenty of additional
    storage (up to 8 GB)
    -- HTML web browser delivers a fast, rich browsing experience and supports
    streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com (3GPP RTSP streaming
    protocol over EV-DO)
    -- A removable, rechargeable battery, rated for up to 260 minutes of talk
    time and up to 11 days of standby time
    -- In-box accessories include: a stereo headset, travel charger and
    premium tote sleeve

The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone is supported by BlackBerry� Internet Service that gives customers access to up to 10 supported POP3 and IMAP personal and corporate e-mail accounts, including most popular ISP e-mail accounts. It is also supported by BlackBerry� Professional Software for small businesses and BlackBerry� Enterprise Server for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM� Lotus� Domino�, Microsoft� Exchange and Novell� GroupWise� environments.

The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone will be available at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $269.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the handset is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase. Customers who purchase a Verizon Wireless Nationwide voice plan can also subscribe to the E-Mail and Web for BlackBerry plan for an additional $29.99 per month while those opting for a data-only plan can pay $34.99 per month for unlimited e-mail and access to the Internet.
    03-31-08 06:22 AM
    h.ttp://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080331/nym008.html?.v=101
    03-31-08 06:23 AM
    Omg its time to get excited! Been waiting for an official press release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-08 06:39 AM
    I just called VZW to ask whether their Curve has wifi (I highly suspect that it doesn't, because they'd advertise it if it did). The rep there didn't even know they had announced that they were carrying the Curve.

Oh well...guess I wait longer for a Blackberry that does wifi on the Verizon network, and stick to my Pearl for now.
    03-31-08 07:41 AM
    I just called VZW to ask whether their Curve has wifi (I highly suspect that it doesn't, because they'd advertise it if it did). The rep there didn't even know they had announced that they were carrying the Curve.

Oh well...guess I wait longer for a Blackberry that does wifi on the Verizon network, and stick to my Pearl for now.
    Do they have other phones that are wifi capable? I thought they basically crippled that feature on any phone that can utilize it.
    03-31-08 07:51 AM
    I just checked out RIMs website and they show the 8330 with Verizon as the carrier...Looks like my 8830 will go back within the 30 day trial for the curve!
    03-31-08 08:05 AM
    i wonder how many 8830 and 8130 users will switch for the curve...

i'm considering it...

-db
    03-31-08 08:36 AM
    DB, That same thought crossed my mind. I am on the fence about it.

One of the selling points for me was the small form factor. On the other hand, a QWERTY keyboard would be nice.
    03-31-08 08:48 AM
    Do they have other phones that are wifi capable? I thought they basically crippled that feature on any phone that can utilize it.
    The only phones from Verizon that do wifi are Windows Mobile devices (the Samsung i760 and their Verizon branded XV6800. None of their Palm OS or Blackbery devices do wifi.

/rant on

I don't know whether Microsoft has paid them for exclusivity, but I do think it's a bad strategy. Like so many people I am locked into Verizon because coverage by other vendors isn't very good around here (New Hampshire), but when my current contract is up in less than 2 years I'm sure AT&T will have good enough coverage to switch to a more capable device, whether it's on the order of an 8120 Pearl (with wifi) or a 3G iPhone.

/rant off

But who am I to question their strategy? Building out the network and offering gimped phones has kept me in their clutches for 3 contracts now...
    03-31-08 09:51 AM
    I switched to AT&T to get the 8310 back in November '07 but I'm glad Verizon has finally gotten with the program. Hopefully they will be faster to create a CDMA port for the 9000's when they come out. For a carrier that prides itself on being a business stable system you'd think they'd be pushing for CDMA BlackBerries a bit sooner, but at least they finally have it. I'm still wondering why they could get the 8800 ported so far ahead of the 8300.
    03-31-08 11:43 AM
    Does anybody know if the VZ Curve will be a World Edition BB like the 8830 is?
    03-31-08 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD