ok so here it goes... i have a 8330 with verizon and i am hoping that someone out there has the solution. i want to be able to use my 8330 as a modem while i am on the road. can anyone tell me how to use is without paying for the teathering software. i can not stand that verizon has a monopaly on everything it sells. i know there is someone out the that can do this. please help use that can not. thank you...........
    01-04-09 06:48 PM
    Good luck, not going to happen. Network will not let device connect without paying for it. Gotta pay to play or go to jail for theft of serivce.
    01-04-09 06:51 PM
    well i can tell you its not theft. it can not be theft unless you attempt to take from or give into the verizon server. i am not asking anyone to tell anything illeagle. first it is simple in therry for it to work. i just need a computer person to figure it out. so much stuff happens on the internet it is not funny. you have free cable, free satelite and free teathering. i just want to know.
    01-04-09 06:58 PM
    Well as a VZW employee, I know how this works and you will not be able to do legally. All those that have free anything unless they comapny has given it to them is at risk.

You can even set up a manual connection and by pass the software. I will even give you the info to do it. The system will not let you log in.
    01-04-09 07:01 PM
    well ****. that sucks. that just shows you that verizon is not out there to help the paying customer. i have unlimited web access on my blackberry and i pay for everything that i do on my curve except ring tomes. i think that if verizon would come out and say that its teathering was free? they woulgget more business. but no they will not do that. maybe they will be the next poor bastards on capitol hill beging for money.
    01-04-09 07:15 PM
    Why should tethering be free?
    01-04-09 07:21 PM
    why not? we pay for the service on the blackberry. why should we not be able to use it as a modem on our laptops. its not fast by all means. but it would be nice to see whats out there on a long trip in the car instead of looking at the little screen of the pone.
    01-04-09 07:28 PM
    why not? we pay for the service on the blackberry. why should we not be able to use it as a modem on our laptops. its not fast by all means. but it would be nice to see whats out there on a long trip in the car instead of looking at the little screen of the pone.
    So you are saying 1MB down speed for tethering with a phone is slow? It is also a different service provided by the same carrier. That is like saying well I buy my cable TV from comcast for $X and since I am buying that I should have access to their internet access and phone services also.
    01-04-09 07:42 PM
    If you like that serivce for your laptop we also offer that service for 59.99 per month. So let see add another 30 for tethering, oh that is 50% off gettng another line of service.
    01-04-09 08:02 PM
    If you like that serivce for your laptop we also offer that service for 59.99 per month. So let see add another 30 for tethering, oh that is 50% off gettng another line of service.
    And you don't have to commit to a 2 year contract. You can also turn it on and off as needed.
    01-04-09 08:06 PM
    Yep this is the truth
    01-04-09 08:10 PM
    The fee for tethering is $15 per month, plus the Blackberry plan is already on your Berry. I am paying it now, and when I don't need it anymore, I can ask them to discontinue the option. My understanding is my tethering uses part of my 5GB from my data plan, so that is my only charge to have data access wherever I go. Not a bad price.

I know it sucks to have to pay the extra cash, but why should Verizon not make something for the added service? It isn't the same as when phone companies, Verizon included, want to charge the website operators for your access to their website. In this case, they really are giving an added benefit. Not just trying to charge twice for the same service....

As an aside, my connection on my VZW Berry seems almost as peppy as my Sprint aircard from work. Which is cool!
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 01-04-09 at 09:47 PM.
    01-04-09 09:44 PM
    Teatherning is 15 per month for 44.99 data plan and 30 per month for the 29.99 plan
    01-04-09 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD