Ok so I just got a Blackberry Curve from Verizon and I just noticed that they block the use of the GPS unless you pay $9.99 a month! Well I do like the internet on the Verizon Network it seems faster, due to the 3G Curve. As for AT&T I just got out of my contract with them and had my fee waived. I have been an AT&T Customer for many years however with my fiancee has verizon and I decided it would be best to go with them for that reason. However is GPS freedom and Rollover worth it? Not to mention I can get the Curve for Free with AT&T and Verizon it cost me $104 which isn't bad.
    06-21-08 10:03 PM
    It's a matter of which is a better fit for you...and depending on if you're planning on upgrading..and to what, and unfortunetly when... I prefer AT&T, but they don't work for everybody..GL with your decision and welcme to CB
    06-21-08 10:05 PM
    welcome to cb. depends on who you get better coverage with in your area
    06-22-08 12:06 AM
    The previous posters are dead-on: it's all about the coverage. The phone won't do you much good if AT&T's coverage in your area is not very good. I live in Houston, so I didn't think coverage was an issue for me. But since the switch from AT&T to Verizon (because of work), I have found better call clarity and fewer drops. So be sure to check the coverage each network has in your area.

Yes, it sucks that Verizon locks out the GPS function. But that can be easily rectified with a $20 GPS puck, which is small enough to be placed in the car, bicycle, motorcycle, etc. The accuracy is much better too (3m vs 10m).

Also be aware that the AT&T devices are still on OS 4.2 while the Verizon Curves are OS 4.3, which is actually v4.5. I find that my battery life is about 15% better than my co-worker's AT&T device. I know some of that can be attributed to usage habits, but there is still an improvement.

So do some research on coverage first, then decide what works better for you. Both devices are great, but I am much more satisfied with my Verizon Curve, considering coverage, usability, and features, than I was with my 8820 on AT&T. As always, YMMV.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 06:45 AM
    I say AT&T or T-Mobile...

06-22-08 06:48 AM
    Verizon has the best coverage nationwide and by far the clearest call quality. GSM just isnt up to par with CDMA as far as call quality yet, in my opinion. This and the fact that I cant even remember the last time I dropped a call have kept me loyal to VZW. Sure it sucks that they lock down GPS and that it doesnt use a SIM card, but it does have the newer software and the best coverage.
    06-22-08 06:53 AM
    Probably not a big deal to most but I cannot receive or send out of the local grocery store. I'm with Verizon. On my way home from work I will often stop at the store to pick up something and if my wife wants to contact me or I have a question I have to go outside to get reception. It's a real pain and I think most of you will find that it will happen to you as well. AT&T works fine in the store.
    06-22-08 07:22 AM
    Putttn, that's odd as I don't experience a loss if signal in grocery stores, shopping malls, parking garages, most elevators, etc. It didn't happen with AT&T either. Back in the late 90s, I recall signal loss, but I just figured cell technology and coverage had improved such that this is not really a problem anymore.

The best thing for the OP to do is research coverage in his area. Some areas may not have good coverage due the topology, lack of or poorly placed cell towers, etc.

06-22-08 09:42 AM
    Probably not a big deal to most but I cannot receive or send out of the local grocery store. I'm with Verizon. On my way home from work I will often stop at the store to pick up something and if my wife wants to contact me or I have a question I have to go outside to get reception. It's a real pain and I think most of you will find that it will happen to you as well. AT&T works fine in the store.
    It could be a number of reasons why you're having problems receiving signal inside the Grocery Store. There are many stores that I too have problems with my signal, knowing that I may encounter a problem inside the store, I'll take care of whatever business before going inside.
    06-22-08 10:05 AM
    Tough choice, I'm on Verizon and it works well for me.

1. I get excellent coverage in my State (Wa.) even when I'm camping
    2. Don't really care about the GPS, I have one in my truck that is far superior
    3. My wife, sons, mother and father all use Verizon so the calls are free.

If your fianc�e lives in the same town ask her how the coverage is and compare that you your phones coverage area. What works for some doesn't work for others.
    06-22-08 10:13 AM
    I also live in WA but for some reason the grocery store I go to just hardly lets me get any reception.
    07-09-08 06:10 PM
    Personal preference based on signal strength where you live and/or use the BB.......I DO NOT need WiFi.............and I was on ATT anyway.....so I went there.......PLUS $49 for a curve is a hella good deal......
    07-09-08 06:14 PM
    Ok so I just got a Blackberry Curve from Verizon and I just noticed that they block the use of the GPS unless you pay $9.99 a month! Well I do like the internet on the Verizon Network it seems faster, due to the 3G Curve. As for AT&T I just got out of my contract with them and had my fee waived. I have been an AT&T Customer for many years however with my fiancee has verizon and I decided it would be best to go with them for that reason. However is GPS freedom and Rollover worth it? Not to mention I can get the Curve for Free with AT&T and Verizon it cost me $104 which isn't bad.
    I like the free GPS, because I'm a cacher. Sure, EDGE ain't 3G, but it's fast enough for now. I'll be getting a Bold when they come out, and HSDPA is way faster than EV-DO. Plus, my wife and I both got FREE 8310s. AT&T all the way for me.
    07-09-08 07:45 PM
    I have both verizon and att. Curve on att and a flip on verizon. One person one work I am setting right now with no service on verizon and full bars on att. So I almost always have service on one or the other. I also have problems in stores in my area with verizon. But iit all comes down to your needs - the service in your area and personal preference. Best of luck on your choice

07-09-08 08:02 PM
    Depends on where you live but FWIW, Verizon worked for me on 9/11 in Manhattan.
    07-09-08 08:09 PM
    I would presonally say Verizon. I love the Curve for them and the Internet is great. I have had ATT and have not had a good experience with them. go for Verizon for the better coverage
    07-09-08 08:15 PM
    Verizon blocks more features and and controls how you can use it more than other carriers. I have been with them or a predecessor for 20+ years mainly to keep my phone number (no longer an issue) and because I travel and get good reception everywhere I go. I m getting tired of waiting for the latest phone (how long has the curve been out on other carrier's?) and not being able to use the phone as RIM designed it (gps on my curve- which I just cancelled to use free google maps). I think verizon needs to get with the program and provide what customers want. Good luck!
    07-09-08 08:36 PM
    I had Verizon for 5 years and last month switched to ATT because I go to college in Oklahoma, and that is the one state Verizon doesn't cover so well. Since the switch I'm saving around 40 a month AND I get a corporate discount! Also having GPS is so amazing, so with all that being said, go with ATT
    07-09-08 11:10 PM
    Verizon does block gps but their curve has 96mb of memoury, which all but eliminates the memoury leak issue. Imo? Sold.

07-09-08 11:12 PM
    Verizon does block gps but their curve has 96mb of memoury, which all but eliminates the memoury leak issue. Imo? Sold.

How do you spell memory again?
    07-09-08 11:40 PM
    How do you spell memory again?
    I believe this is the 1000th time I have addressed this..

I am not american. This is how we spell.

07-09-08 11:44 PM
    CARDIAC - back up off the Jenay - she has incredible info on all things BB - why make a run at her? She is trying to help and you make a run?

Bush League - HOT garbage..........shame on you........perhaps we all are not a perfect little mental and social dwarf such as yourself......

DON'T BE A B*TCH.........................

Thank you
    07-10-08 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD