This is one of my few complaints I have about Verizon. I don't understand why they only allow 160 messages, but coming from At&t where I was alllowed to text however many, it really slows me down a bit and irritates the **** out of me. Please help if possible
    01-13-09 03:44 PM
    you mean 160 char per text, mine is the same, if you look next to the char count it will show you page numbers so even though it says 160 you can send over that, it will just be on another page.

This is a network limitation, and not a device setting. Certain carriers (like Verizon) won't allow you to send more than 160 characters, which is the limit for SMS messages. Other carriers, like AT&T & T-Mobile, allow you to continue typing and break the messages up.

So basically there isn't anything you can do to change this other than by changing carriers.
    Last edited by ghostshell; 01-13-09 at 03:51 PM.
    01-13-09 03:48 PM
    or if you send it as an mms u have unlimited characters
    01-13-09 03:50 PM
    it seems to be a VZW Blackberry limitation. on my old VZW EnV i could send texts longer than 160 to other VZW customers. not on the VZW BB though. mine stops at 160 characters and i cannot type any more.

you can send an MMS instead. i believe you can use 1000 characters for MMS.
    01-13-09 03:50 PM
    Ghostshell-
    No, it only allows us to type up to 160 characters per text. If we try to type more it just says "Field Full" and we have to send and continue in another text.

The only problem with sending MMS is that most people don't have picture messaging, etc.. (well at least the people I communicate with most)

It's just a verizon thing, I must say I was very upset when I saw my friend on her ATT curve and she reached 160 and kept typing... I was shocked! I asked "How Did you do that??" and she looked at me so confused. Then I realized that mine was uncapable of it, and I just learned to deal with it.
    01-13-09 03:57 PM
    don't most carriers include MMS within the messeging plans? i know with VZW even the lowest plan for $5 a month is 250 messages, including text, pic and video.

so is pic mail separate for everyone else? that is odd!

you can also send an email! i tend to use email for longer messages. or BBM or PIN or AIM.
    01-13-09 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD