Go for it but I knew GPS was x'tra when I made my deal and thus can't really b*tch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 06:14 PM
    Unlocking GPS for business 5 lines or more? I have not heard of this and I will check into it.

So you asked several different reps and finally one told you this. Hmmm is it true? or just another answer from 1 rep that will fuel your fire. This is the question.
    10-08-08 07:30 PM
    Maybe the users that want to do something are leaving because of responses like these? Is there documentation of the FCC investigation?

These responses are laughable. I am the first to say when a companies policies are purely business decisions. But verizon is selling a product that they advertise as being gps capable and then locking that feature. Falsely representing a product is illegal. Not to mention verizon is a retailer of blackberry phones not a manufacturer. Sure I am going round and round...hey let's just stop right where we are. Thanks but no thanks I guess..sorry to those who read this and feel scammed by Verizon and feel helpless.

I'd love to have unlocked GPS on my VZW BB (which is why I'm looking at the Storm) but what you've said is untrue. VZW does not advertise this device as being GPS capable, but VZ Navigator capable. Here's the product page on Verizon's site: Enter your location Note that it only discusses GPS within the context of VZ Navigator. Sprint advertises their 8330 as being GPS-capable (and it is) but Verizon only advetises their 8330 as being VZ Nav capable. It's not false or even misleading advertising.
    10-08-08 08:53 PM
    Unlocking GPS for business 5 lines or more? I have not heard of this and I will check into it.

So you asked several different reps and finally one told you this. Hmmm is it true? or just another answer from 1 rep that will fuel your fire. This is the question.
    I believe the GPS is integrated with the aGPS and must go through Verizon's network; it can't be used separately. VZW charges $10 a month for this service, but then the GPS can also be used with third-party apps. Evidently, if you have 5 BB lines or more, they'll just give you the VZ Nav service for free. At least that's my interpretation.
    10-08-08 08:58 PM
    Problem is, the 8330 GPS does NOT work with 3rd party apps, even when you are subscribed to VZNav. I tried. No go.

I dumped VZNav.
    10-08-08 09:24 PM
    Hmm. I'm not sure that this whole 5 line unlock theory is true. Ill have to research it.

As far as "bad business" is concerned.. Bad biz, good biz, its all BIZ. Vzw is in it to make money, and they didn't get where they are today by catering to and fulfilling every want and desire of their customers. No successful business has. So they force their customers to pay for GPS - big whoop. Its a money making tactic, and these tactics aren't unheard of, sorry to say. I think its time for everyone to stop crying about the gps lock and just accept it - it aint going anywhere. Vzw didn't cancel christmas this year, they're just out to make money. Drop it.

10-08-08 09:26 PM
    I believe the GPS is integrated with the aGPS and must go through Verizon's network; it can't be used separately. VZW charges $10 a month for this service, but then the GPS can also be used with third-party apps. Evidently, if you have 5 BB lines or more, they'll just give you the VZ Nav service for free. At least that's my interpretation.
    Well I believe this is a bit different than origanlly posted. If it is a business account and how those contracts negotiated may be different than the consumer contract. Business account reps have a lot of latitude when negotiating contracts. If a company like Boeing, whos bill in in the 6 figures a month I am sure, wants VZNAV, I am sure they will get it. As as you stated in the second post, it is still VZNAV and that means it is not unlocked for 5 lines or more for a business account to use other applications or devices.
    10-08-08 09:40 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD